jjdbike

Suzuki vs Rockaway 10' rod: distance w/light lures?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, dan_d said:

ksong what black hole rod blank would be best for eeling for striped bass from the shoreline in north shore ma/coastal NH/Maine area i would be tossing large eels between 14-20" long if not longer (I like catching eels in the rivers during migration in may and they are easily over 24" long) so the rod would have to be powerful to deal with this. In addition I rig dead eels on jig heads so a large eel will even be heavier using a rig jig solution...any thoughts? My reel is ultegra xtd 14000 for casting distance....my rod is underrated and not worth mentioning so Im looking to build something and your blanks are unreal....keep up the good work.

I suggest 10' or 11' Black Hole Striped Bass Special 2 - 8 oz rods.

7 hours ago, SoCalStripers said:

I wish I could have seen the pair of Suzukis when I was in Pacifica a couple of weeks ago, but North Coast Tackle didn't have any in stock at the time. They actually had a shipment coming in, but I had to leave town before then.

Some people have commented that the 10' Suzuki is a little "whippy" and that's sort of a concern for me. I am also looking for a 9'6 to 10' rod that can handle the Lucky Craft 110 5/8 oz. jerkbait but can also throw 3/4 to 1 oz swimbaits from time to time and I am not crazy about fishing with "whippy" rods. For comparison, I have a 8'6 Daiwa North Coast rod that's kind of whippy, and as a result, I used it a few times and it's just been sitting around most of the time. It's a little easier to make a mistake with a $60 rod than it is with a $200 rod especially when you factor in the cost of return shipping! 

Curious about your and others' experiences with the 10' suzuki before I decide to take the plunge with that rod!

I just ordered the 10’ Suzuki for same purposes (small metals & Lucky Craft in surf). Paired w/ Penn Conflict 2 Long Cast 4000 spoiled w/ 10lb Super Slick V2. 

I’m putting them to use this weekend.

Looking for big distance w/ small lures.

I’ll let you know.

JD

2 mins ago, jjdbike said:

I just ordered the 10’ Suzuki for same purposes (small metals & Lucky Craft in surf). Paired w/ Penn Conflict 2 Long Cast 4000 spoiled w/ 10lb Super Slick V2. 

I’ll let you know.

JD

The 10' Suzuki rod will not disappoint you. :)

suzuki8c.jpg

suzuki10a.jpg

suzuki10b.jpg

suzuki10dorado.jpg

suzuki10e.jpg

suzuki10tuna.jpg

suzukichuja2.jpg

1 hour ago, jjdbike said:

I’ll let you know.

JD

That would be pretty cool, thanks. I'm thinking that's the way I might want to go, too. Maybe a 4000 sized BG or Saltist, something like that. I'm just not getting the distance I need with a 2500 BG and #15 Sufix 832 on my Daiwa 8'6 North Coast MH which is my longest light surf rod at this time. 

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

Popasilov, whe i buy a BH rod, I'm going to tell my wife that you made me do it. Just so you know why some woman you never met will hate you.  :)

Thank you for being a friend.

Who needs enemies with friends like this

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

Popasilov, whe i buy a BH rod, I'm going to tell my wife that you made me do it. ..

And, after all those years, she still trust you?

What did you do to her?

We all need to know, so we may use same method to our wifes.