jjdbike

Suzuki vs Rockaway 10' rod: distance w/light lures?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

I'm looking for a light surf ford for launching small aerodymanic lurs as far as possible for smaller fish, e.g. epoxy jigs or deadly dick (kast Master XL) to Spanish Macs, Bonitos and Albies on an NJ open beach. These things small surf palegics are like unicorns to me, I keep hearing about them but haven't seen one. I want to change that!!!. I'll also be using it to toss Lucky Crafts at CA Halibut in the CA surf when I visit my son &  his family once or twice a year in Carls Bad near San Diego.

It'll be paired w/ a 4000 series spinning rod w/ 10 lb braid. Prolly a Penn Conflict Long Cast 4000 but I'm open to other reel ideas. 

Peeps on this site have talked me out of a steelhead / samon rod.

The two rods I'm looking at (i.e. Okuma Rockaway & Suziki) have both been talked aboput here so I'm assuming a bunch of you have these.

How would you compare the Okuma Rockaway 10' surf rod rated 1/2 - 2 oz & 8 - 17lb line verses the Suzuki 10' surf rod rated 1/2 - 2oz?

The Okuma is approx $105 while the Suziki is just under $200. 

Would both of these rods fit my need well? What are the pros and cons of each when compared side by side? The Suzuki is nearlt $100 more. Is it worth the extra $100 when I'll only be using it for these two very narrow purposes?

Also, would the Penn Conflict Long Cast 4000 pair well with this? Am I correct in assuming the Penn Spinfisher VI Long Cast 5500 is WAY overkill & too heavy for this purpose?

Thanks for any and all input, opinions and especially expereinces!

Respectfully,

JD

Edited by jjdbike

I know that it's "that time of year" & this rods / reel set up hase been siscussed in several different threads latley.

I'm really just looking to get feed back & comparasons of these two rods, i.e. Rockaway & Suzuki for max distance w/ light lures please.

Based upon the threads I've seen here, a good deal of people have handeled or own these rods.

Thanks!

JD

I Have no experience with the rockaway, but, I've said it before and I'm say it over and over again, I absolutely love my 10' Suzuki. It can definitely launch the lures you're talking about to the horizon. The conflict lc 4000 would be a great match for that rod as well, imo.

If you'd like to give the Suzuki a feel, and spend some time casting it, before you commit to buying something I'd be more than happy to meet up one day.

1 min ago, chitala383 said:

I Have no experience with the rockaway, but, I've said it before and I'm say it over and over again, I absolutely love my 10' Suzuki. It can definitely launch the lures you're talking about to the horizon. The conflict lc 4000 would be a great match for that rod as well, imo.

If you'd like to give the Suzuki a feel, and spend some time casting it, before you commit to buying something I'd be more than happy to meet up one day.

Thanks a ton brother.

While I know that Okuma very high end reels are good, I also know their lower end stuff is pretty bad.

I imagine the extar $100 would transalte to better parts & design, though the reviews for the Rockaway are pretty darn good for a $100 rod.

I'm 99% sold on the Suzuki based upon your review.

I'd still really love to hear from someone who has handeled both.

Either way I'll let you all know what I choose and how it works out.

Thanks again!

JD

Choosing rods are like choosing cars.

If you want to save money, go with $100 rods.

We are not mass production company. We test hard before production and after production. 

You should compare the Suzuki rod with $300 plus rods for the quality and performance.

Ah, welcome home, ksong!  I've missed your presence the past few days.  I assumed you were recovering from one of your trips to an exotic destination.  

When last heard from, you were boring holes through a mile of ice on the Weddell Sea in Antarctica to jig up leopard seals with a Challenger rod.  How did that work out?  ;)

11 mins ago, ksong said:

Choosing rods are like choosing cars.

If you want to save money, go with $100 rods.

We are not mass production company. We test hard before production and after production. 

You should compare the Suzuki rod with $300 plus rods for the quality and performance.

Thanks Kil & friends.

I'm pulling the trigger on the Suzuki.

Funny, J & H tried to talk me out of the Penn Conflict 2 Long Cast 4000. They didn't seem like they liked that reel. I wonder why? I suppose I'll find out soon enough.

Thanks again everyone!

JD

9 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Ah, welcome home, ksong!  I've missed your presence the past few days.  I assumed you were recovering from one of your trips to an exotic destination.  

When last heard from, you were boring holes through a mile of ice on the Weddell Sea in Antarctica to jig up leopard seals with a Challenger rod.  How did that work out?  ;)

I am fine. :) I fished two days for cobia in Virginia Beach and I gave up to go to Cape Cod as fishing report was slow on the boat and in the Canal.

I fished fluke on a party boat out of Montauk yesterday and it was very enjoyable trip by catching my limit of 4 early in the morning. 

After fishing Cape Cod this week, I will fish yellowtail from the shore in Korea.

All testing rods trips. :)

Here are exotic fish I got using prototype 8' Black Hole Challenger Bank 801 UL rod.

20190802_093122.jpg

Edited by ksong

ksong what black hole rod blank would be best for eeling for striped bass from the shoreline in north shore ma/coastal NH/Maine area i would be tossing large eels between 14-20" long if not longer (I like catching eels in the rivers during migration in may and they are easily over 24" long) so the rod would have to be powerful to deal with this. In addition I rig dead eels on jig heads so a large eel will even be heavier using a rig jig solution...any thoughts? My reel is ultegra xtd 14000 for casting distance....my rod is underrated and not worth mentioning so Im looking to build something and your blanks are unreal....keep up the good work.

I can tell you that Rockaway is excellent rod. I have 2 of them, 10' and 11' , both 3/4 to 3oz and another 10' is arriving today.

This one will be 1/2 to 2oz.

I never fished with Suzuki but I had opportunity to hold it several times.It is a very nice rod, feel great in the hands, everybody who has it love it but I like my Rockaway much better.

I wish I could have seen the pair of Suzukis when I was in Pacifica a couple of weeks ago, but North Coast Tackle didn't have any in stock at the time. They actually had a shipment coming in, but I had to leave town before then.

Some people have commented that the 10' Suzuki is a little "whippy" and that's sort of a concern for me. I am also looking for a 9'6 to 10' rod that can handle the Lucky Craft 110 5/8 oz. jerkbait but can also throw 3/4 to 1 oz swimbaits from time to time and I am not crazy about fishing with "whippy" rods. For comparison, I have a 8'6 Daiwa North Coast rod that's kind of whippy, and as a result, I used it a few times and it's just been sitting around most of the time. It's a little easier to make a mistake with a $60 rod than it is with a $200 rod especially when you factor in the cost of return shipping! 

Curious about your and others' experiences with the 10' suzuki before I decide to take the plunge with that rod!

10 mins ago, SoCalStripers said:

..... I used it a few times and it's just been sitting around most of the time. It's a little easier to make a mistake with a $60 rod than it is with a $200 rod especially when you factor in the cost of return shipping! .

Another thing to consider.

You can get Rockaway and if you don't like it return it for full refund.

I do not know how things work out with Suzuki.