Max4

LED Fog / Driving Lights

22 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, garrr said:

I installed these Rigid  lights https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B074TVQ4LQ/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

To supplement my LED retrofit head lights on my Cherokee, made the world of difference driving to work during a blizzard a few years back.

Wait for Amazon Prime day to purchase, they were almost 1/2 normal price!

Yeah NOW we're talking garr !! You guys are freaking awesome , BEST group of folks in the world no question !! I dont care what you have a question about you guys GOT the answer or KNOW where to get it !! I thank God for you guys and this site , you ALL have helped me with soooo much since I first came here , THANK YOU ALL !! Garr this is really what I needed thank you for your time and effort you took to help me ! Really helped me realize just how bright these rascals are , and really affordable as well !! Can you imagine having a set of those Rigids on your bumper when someone kept tailgating you lol lol , you could break them of that habit quick or blind em one lol lol !! 

On 8/12/2019 at 7:14 AM, Drew C. said:

I upgraded my old tacoma - the new led bulbs were ridiculously bright. Maybe not even street legal bright. The new truck (tundra) came with them but I upgraded to rigid. A significant improvement. The tacoma bulbs came from the river site.

Lol lol the river site lol lol it flows past my house a lot it seems , wifey loves the river lol lol !! 

On 8/19/2019 at 7:13 AM, Drew C. said:

I only upgraded to the rigid fogs and they weren’t cheap. The truck came with led headlight. Upgrading the is very expensive and not really worth it. 

Ps - you could certainly question even upgrading the fogs tho. 

I agree if not for the huge difference in power draw on the electrical system I wouldnt fool with it . I have an older but gooder Cheby lol lol and anything I can do to help it i am going to do within reason of course . Me and my Cheby have traveled 400,000 miles together and I have grown attached lol lol ! Thanks Drew great point ! 

18 hours ago, StripersBR said:

Crazy not many know the difference. They might as well pit one of those ridiculous stupid ass light bars on the truck! 

I understand what you and modelcitizen mean . However I have a set of Hella Fog ( factory amber lenses ) and a set of Hella Driving lights also with factory clear lenses . Both are SaeDot approved for use on road with other vehicles but still make a huge difference especially the Fog Light in those conditions being nasty weather.  The best feature of the Fog Lights is the wide beam where you can see a very good distance off the shoulder of the road ! Especially when Deer are running crazy in the fall looking for love lol lol ! It makes such a difference it is very hard to not use them all of the time . I have never had anyone blink there lights at me indicating they were too bright . I have however had oncoming vehicles nearly blind me with what I assume are LED factory headlights? I am interested in changing only to save the electrical system on my Truck from the high draw my lights now need . I do know I would not get a light fixture that didnt provide the illumination of the shoulders like my Hella Fogs provide now . I have seen where they make them combo with spot and flood which I assume will give you the best of both worlds ? 

3 hours ago, Max4 said:

Yeah NOW we're talking garr !! You guys are freaking awesome , BEST group of folks in the world no question !! I dont care what you have a question about you guys GOT the answer or KNOW where to get it !! I thank God for you guys and this site , you ALL have helped me with soooo much since I first came here , THANK YOU ALL !! Garr this is really what I needed thank you for your time and effort you took to help me ! Really helped me realize just how bright these rascals are , and really affordable as well !! Can you imagine having a set of those Rigids on your bumper when someone kept tailgating you lol lol , you could break them of that habit quick or blind em one lol lol !! 

I had KC daylighters facing backwards on my old bronco. They were on point for backing up in the woods. And they would happen to occassionally turn themseleves on when someone was on my ass! 

2 hours ago, Max4 said:

I understand what you and modelcitizen mean . However I have a set of Hella Fog ( factory amber lenses ) and a set of Hella Driving lights also with factory clear lenses . Both are SaeDot approved for use on road with other vehicles but still make a huge difference especially the Fog Light in those conditions being nasty weather.  The best feature of the Fog Lights is the wide beam where you can see a very good distance off the shoulder of the road ! Especially when Deer are running crazy in the fall looking for love lol lol ! It makes such a difference it is very hard to not use them all of the time . I have never had anyone blink there lights at me indicating they were too bright . I have however had oncoming vehicles nearly blind me with what I assume are LED factory headlights? I am interested in changing only to save the electrical system on my Truck from the high draw my lights now need . I do know I would not get a light fixture that didnt provide the illumination of the shoulders like my Hella Fogs provide now . I have seen where they make them combo with spot and flood which I assume will give you the best of both worlds ? 

The fog lights you have actually make a difference for what you are using them for. But most people put those annoying bright ass bulbs in their headlights. 

You understand the benefit of a flat wide beam from a lamp mounted low on front of vehicle that cuts thru rain and fog without lighting up the the particles of moisture and rain in your line of sight while illuminating the painted centerline and white shoulder line on road.

There have been times i idled along in 2nd gear with fog so thick you could navigate only with the painted lines on road. You cannot do this without a good dedicated fog lamp. In conditions as above i turn off headlights to minimize light scatter from moisture in the air. Many oe foglights on vehicles today actually work very poorly for their intended purpose. They are more an aesthetic design for looks more than to work good. Notice how many people you see driving around with them on 100% of the time

I too use the Hella fog lamps in 500,530,550 rectangular lamp. I prefer the clear lens to the amber,the light is more crisp and gives better definition.

My commute to my fishing spots is 3.5 hrs and rural and times of year are spring/fall up to and past deer rutting time. Leaving home in wee hours to be on beach and set up before 1st light i will come across 30-50 deer,many in the road and just off to the side. Fog lights help illuminate those in fields and along side of roads. 

I use Hella 7" driving lights with 160 watt bulbs that turn on with hi-beams that give a wide far swath of light. These and fog lamps give a comfortable field of view with ample time to react. I also have HID headlamps from a Lexus Suv grafted into my headlight housings with the self leveling feature intact which assures proper aim even carrying a load in the bed so no stray light to offend oncoming traffic.Driving lights are not used in town. On main roads/highways unless i'm the only one on the road,often the case at these hours,i don't use them. The fog lights with parking lights are perfect for moving around the beach at night,the flat beam doesn't project too far. 

A larger(round) driving light will put out more usable light than a similar smaller diameter lamp using the same wattage bulb because both the lens and reflector are larger

I know there are pricier fog/driving lamps available with better light output than my modified lamps. I treat the fog and driving lamps as consumables as i have lost two sets of lenses on fog lamps and one of driving lamps to rock hits. I have my lights mounted on lightbar i bent up and welded and powdercoated. One October night on  the way home from my shop late at night,turning onto my road,maybe 25 mph,a LARGE 10 point deer stepped out of the corn and onto the road right in front of me,never had a chance to hit the brakes. He stopped my truck,knocked him down,he got up and bashed into the corn on opposite side of road.

Completely wiped out my lightbar and auxiliary lights,bumper,grill and headlights. Lightbar saved ac condenser and radiator. $5200.00 damage to truck. Consumables...insurance fixed truck but not lightbar or lamps. I made another bar and bought new lamps,back in business.

The lights draw a considerable amount of power. I built an alternator that puts out 142 amps,a little over twice the 70 amp alternator the truck came with. With all lamps,headlights on relayed harnesses,getting the most light output with least amount of resistance loss.

Proper aim of all lamps is critical,both to not illuminate oncoming traffic with unwanted light and maximize the amount of generated light for best use.

Regarding the "new" generation of LED lamps and lightbars,i've experimented with several different brands and for the cost for the amount of usable light,i'm not convinced they outdo what i have. The lightbars throw an intense amount of light up close but fail to put out a light beam of any definition downroad. Mounted on top of bumper or worse on roof,they are useless as they light up all moisture in the air and reflect light off hood of vehicle. Add rain/fog,you're better off not turning them on. These may work fine for trail riding,but not for what i need. I submit a lot of these are installed for "the look" on vehicles seldom used offroad,called mallcrawlers locally. Often you'll see one of these all lit up driving thru town blinding everyone. I have seen a couple pulled over for use of the lights,not enough far as i'm concerned.

Led lamps that are supposed to be a combination fog/driving lamp work no better than halogen lamps sold as such. Each type of lamp has a specific use,combining both into one lamp is not very effective.

There are some,actually a lot of cars/trucks nowadays with factory HID lighting and these vehicles can have annoying to dangerous light scatter with a small misalignment of headlamps that are really bright to begin with. Vehicles coming from accident repair at some bodyshops are offenders here as tech replacing parts didn't take time to realign headlamps which is critical with this type of lighting. Upper scale cars have light levelers to keep lights aimed properly.

There are those that retrofit HID burners in place of halogen bulbs their car came with-just because they fit. This is not a good practice as headlamp lens and reflector was designed with a specific halogen bulb in mind. Fitting an HID burner in place of original bulb throws bright uncontrolled light everywhere,we've all seen these vehicles coming from opposite direction. Worst of these will be seen on lifted trucks. What is ironic is these drivers actually see less than they did with original halogen bulb because the light is thrown everywhere and not directed where it is supposed to be.

OP,if you like the performance from your existing Hella lamps,keep them and install a more powerful alternator with a heavier gauge output wire to support them.

An added benefit,brighter headlights,blower motor turns faster same with wipers and all these things don't slow/dim down when you come to a stop as they do currently

You list a GM vehicle in your post,what year/model? You could retrofit a GM CS series alternator to your rig,several versions of these are 130-140 amps and can be found rebuilt at parts stores for @ $75. Many are a bolt on. Good relayed light harnesses for your auxiliary lamps will allow them to work better than what you're used to. 

Fog lamps should always be used with 55 watt bulbs they came with-more bright light is not what you want. If you can avoid using your driving lights in town,you can retrofit 100 watt bulbs in housing-with a solid relayed harness. @ 40% increase in light power. Don't go any higher wattage wise,you risk cracking lens in lamp. Also a good idea to turn hi beams/driving lamps off before coming to a stop,you don't need them at that low speed and driving lamp bulbs last longer with air flowing over lamps from moving forward.

Use your hi beam wire at headlight to trigger your relay to turn driving lamps on with hi beams and install a toggle switch on dash for when you don't want them on. Use an illuminated toggle switch so you're aware when you have the driving lights on so you're not blinding oncoming traffic by accident. We all have left hi beams on by accident til someone flashes us to switch to low beam,this is much worse when driving lights are on with hi beams.