Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Derick Jahnke

Small fish, big waves

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Good evening all,

I'm a Pacific NorthWest fisherman looking for some advice. I am looking for a rod blank for Surf Perch fishing up here in Oregon. I've been using Salmon rods, but they aren't quite adequate. I have limited options with my fishing days so I don't see the nice 2 ft swell days....more like 4-6.....which is my limit out here as anything over that is is suicide up here. I generally fish 2-3 ounces though if I am desperate I will throw 3.5 on. I don't bait and wait, it is all hi low or Carolina rigs with a slow retrieve. Is there a blank in the 10 ft range that can chuck that weight while having a somewhat of a soft tip? These fish hit like a full auto submachine gun, so bite detection isn't difficult. I just want to feel as much of the fight as possible.

This is true, but my circumstances are such that a Steelhead rod (which is likely to break casting 2 ounces) is sub optimal. I would prefer a 10ft rod with a longer butt that can handle 3 ounces.

On 8/11/2019 at 9:07 PM, Derick Jahnke said:

Good evening all,

I'm a Pacific NorthWest fisherman looking for some advice. I am looking for a rod blank for Surf Perch fishing up here in Oregon. I've been using Salmon rods, but they aren't quite adequate. I have limited options with my fishing days so I don't see the nice 2 ft swell days....more like 4-6.....which is my limit out here as anything over that is is suicide up here. I generally fish 2-3 ounces though if I am desperate I will throw 3.5 on. I don't bait and wait, it is all hi low or Carolina rigs with a slow retrieve. Is there a blank in the 10 ft range that can chuck that weight while having a somewhat of a soft tip? These fish hit like a full auto submachine gun, so bite detection isn't difficult. I just want to feel as much of the fight as possible.

Century 10' S1 Stealth will do the job great. Moderate action, will throw down to 1/2 oz and will handle up to 3.5 no problem. 

7 hours ago, Derick Jahnke said:

What about a Black Hole Suzuki blank? I see a 10'6".....how do they handle 3 ounces?

No. I've built a few and whilst some on the forum have thrown this, I wouldn't.

The 10' or 11' East Coast Special light would work though.