jjdbike

Help w/light distance surf setup please?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

I have a 12’ Shimano heavy long cast rod & reel set up. It launches heavy aerodynamic lures beyond the breakers.

Now I’m looking to assemble a budget light surf setup to cast 1/2 to 11/2 w/ sweet spot at about 3/4 - 1 1/4.

It’ll have 10 - 16lb braid.

I have Fenwick Silver Hawk 9’ MH 1 - 1 1/2 oz lures, line 10-20, model 10G16BK. I believe it’s a salmon rod but it’s pretty nice.

I was considering combining that w/ a Penn Conflict long cast 4000.

Does this sound like it’ll fit my needs?

I’m also open to any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

JD

I'm an ignorant newbie... But have input. 

I nearly gave up on surf fishing altogether before realizing my rod was outside "my rating" at 1-6 oz. 

I got a 9ft, 3/4 - 3oz Penn PrevaiI for $69(?) and it casts a 1.5oz Carolina rig very well (based on counting cranks during retrieve, about 75 yards).... Toss out a wee 1/2oz Kastmaster and it "feels" like i'm throwing a wiffle ball. There is no feedback if i'm not watching the actual flight path. 

Casting a 3/4oz Kastmaster does indeed provide a tactile feedback as to distance/when it hits water. 

I then got a 7ft Ugly Stik ($39?) "Striper rod" for 3/8 - 1oz and it tosses a 1/2oz Carolina rig for a high-percentile-distance versus the former! 

That's all i've got to offer... 

I think I have that same fenwick from Cabelas. I have it paired with a 4000 sized Shimano and it throws metal and jigs terrific. I think you have a great combo there. 

9 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Hey folks,

I have a 12’ Shimano heavy long cast rod & reel set up. It launches heavy aerodynamic lures beyond the breakers.

Now I’m looking to assemble a budget light surf setup to cast 1/2 to 11/2 w/ sweet spot at about 3/4 - 1 1/4.

It’ll have 10 - 16lb braid.

I have Fenwick Silver Hawk 9’ MH 1 - 1 1/2 oz lures, line 10-20, model 10G16BK. I believe it’s a salmon rod but it’s pretty nice.

I was considering combining that w/ a Penn Conflict long cast 4000.

Does this sound like it’ll fit my needs?

I’m also open to any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

JD

For a surf setup the Airwave elite 8’8” is a rod to strongly consider. IMO I would consider going for the 5000 size in that reel too. It’s not exactly budget but it is worth the extra $. This is a very capable light surf setup.

So based upon what I've read here, I've been talked out of Salmon / Steelhead rods.

I like the specs on the Okuma Roackaway 10' & the Suzuki 10'. I posted this in a new thread. Looking for expereinces with and comparasons of these two rods in new thread please.

Thanks everyone!

JD

Tsnunami Airwave Elite 9'6" - I have a Penn Conflict 4000 with 30lb braid and it balances very nicely with that rod.  The 5000 has the same frame as the 6000 but with a smaller spool.  In my opinion the 4000 is a better choice.  I also use a Daiwa BG3000 as well and it feels good on the rod.  That is my main set up for throwing metal for blues.

I have the 9.5’ Airwave Elite as well, paired with a Saragosa 5000 and it works well. 

You might want to check out the Blackhole Suzuki Specials, I have the 10’ and it is both light and strong, especially when paired with the smaller Slammer III. The shorter rod (9’?) is rated a bit higher. Plenty of discussion on those two rods on SOL. 

Thanks,

I went w/ 10’ Suzuki w/ Penn Conflict 2 Long Cast 4000, spooled w/ 10 lb Power Pro Super Slick V2.

Should cast a 1oz deadly dick, epoxy jig or small Crippled Herring to fish breaking beyond the bar. 

JD

I just got a 9' Triumph Surf w/ a Penn Slammer III 4500 (20 lb J-Braid) and although it's a faster action rod than the Airwaves, I still think it casts light lures exceptionally well. I think that just over 1 oz is right around it's sweet spot. I tossed 3/8 oz jigheads + 4" swimming mullets, 1/2 oz bucktails, a 3/4 oz hopkins shorty, 1 1/4 oz hydro minnows, a 1 1/2 oz hopkins shorty, and 5" swim shads with it last night while testing it. I think that right around 2 oz and up it would start to get a little bit sloppy but I didn't get to test that end yesterday. I was really looking for a rod to cast ~1 oz really well and I am glad with this choice. I was a little upset because I was wondering how light I can go and left my pack of 1/4 oz jig heads and 4" Zoom Flukes at home. That'll be a test for a different day.

Here's the outfit.

Penn Conflict 2 long cast 4000, Black Hole Suzuki 10' surf rod, 300yds powerpro supper slick v2. 

Weighs in at 1 lb 6.6 oz. 

God willing, I'll give it a workout this weekend. Hopefully I can find someing to put a bend in it other than weeds (Moon and S wind, not a good combo).

I'll let ya know.

JD

IMG_0655.jpg

22 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Here's the outfit.

Penn Conflict 2 long cast 4000, Black Hole Suzuki 10' surf rod, 300yds powerpro supper slick v2. 

Weighs in at 1 lb 6.6 oz. 

God willing, I'll give it a workout this weekend. Hopefully I can find someing to put a bend in it other than weeds (Moon and S wind, not a good combo).

I'll let ya know.

JD

IMG_0655.jpg

Let us know how that Conflict 2 LC does :th: