JerseyMike609

Tough Bite Go To?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

4 mins ago, JerseyMike609 said:

Intrested to hear what everyone's GO TO is when you cant buy a bite or theres just so much bait there not looking twice at your presentation....

Depends. Day time and night time are different. Night time a mag darter is my absolute Go To. Day depends entirely on bait

31 mins ago, JerseyMike609 said:

What about at night when the silverside are everywhere?

Weightless 6" Arkansas shiner Slug-Go

berkley gulp mullet jerkshad on a 1/2 oz bullet head jig....stick that in their face and if they are present they should hit it....the gulp scent drives them nuts I seen them reject questionable quality mackerel (I swear it's not frozen the bait shop says...yeah right) and hit my gulp jig right in front of them...also a bucktail with a good sized trailer...works like magic...

Grandpas rule for fishing

Match hatch... If no luck

Feed them candy..stuff they dont get often..if no luck

Throw something big and obnoxious and piss them off. This includes dropping a big ass jig if bottom fishing.

If none of above work still say thank you because you had a day to fish. Then go drink.

If you have no idea about the prevelant bait at the time: If it’s at night and the surf is under 3’ or so, blurple SP minnows until you zone in to where they are (I prefer white in daylight). Then adjust and try different presentations in the same strike zone. SP’s are my search baits 90% of the time, but if you start catching small to keeper-sized bass and suspect that larger fish are around, it pays to test the water with other baits in the same zone. If it’s heavy surf, bucktails and bottle swimmers. It’s all conditional at the end of the day. If you’ve tried everything that makes any sense (including trying to throw large plugs when the bait is small so that yours stands out) and it doesn’t work, know when to switch spots.

On 8/12/2019 at 2:01 AM, dan_d said:

berkley gulp mullet jerkshad on a 1/2 oz bullet head jig....stick that in their face and if they are present they should hit it....the gulp scent drives them nuts I seen them reject questionable quality mackerel (I swear it's not frozen the bait shop says...yeah right) and hit my gulp jig right in front of them...also a bucktail with a good sized trailer...works like magic...

Thanks for the reminder!

I land my largest mid-late fluke on that set up from inlet / jetty tip in deep water.

On 8/13/2019 at 2:20 PM, reelfire said:

Grandpas rule for fishing

Match hatch... If no luck

Feed them candy..stuff they dont get often..if no luck

Throw something big and obnoxious and piss them off. This includes dropping a big ass jig if bottom fishing.

If none of above work still say thank you because you had a day to fish. Then go drink.

Your grandpa was a wise man!

JD