Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bassmaster

should i coat my whole rod ?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Hi guys as some of you know i snapped my lami xra 1204

well wrapped a new one and i have to a coat the wrapps . i usually coat up to the first guide. i use flex coat just to let you know.

i know it will stiffen rod if i go to tip, but i want to prtect the blank. i know i sound like i beat on my rods but i do store them and take care of them. errr well try to. im looking for opinions before i coat it.

this is going to be a eeling rod. one of many.

thank you and tight lines

------------------

who me? only cockroachs come out at nite. got plug?

IM no master rod builder, but what would be the ben of coating the whole blank???

Ive built two rods in the last year and only coated what was needed.

SF

------------------

Is it Hot in here, or is it just me!!!

I can't think of any benefit. I've been building for years and have yet to do that on any "NEW" custom rod. All it will do is add weight and possibly soften the action to the point it will not "FEEL" the same. Just my 2 cents anyway.

Got Stripers said it all. No benefit. Maybe add a few more guides to get a better line flow so that the blank doesn't bend sharply when a load is applied. If you have a problem with breaking all Graphite rods, consider a Composite Graphite/Glass rod.

Post this on Ask Al - he may have a solution for you.

Good luck, Billy

thanks fishermen, i was looking on the lines of ding control, i will just do as i usually do. dont want to alter my action.

thanks all and next time i will go to that post.

------------------

who me? only cockroachs come out at nite. got plug?

Bassmaster,

As others have said, Al IS the man. You've got one heck of a nice, lightweight graphite blank on your hands. Coating it with Flex Coat is going to change the action, make it stiffer and heavier, create dead spots, and probably accomplish little more than preventing small knicks in the graphite. Also, Flex Coat is not a rod blank finish, but is intended for covering wraps. There are better products (Permagloss, etc.) for refinishing rod blanks.

So, my advice is to use Flex Coat sparingly, and only where it's required, which is on the wraps. If you put a hookkeeper above the foregrip, you might consider flex coating the area around and a couple inches above the hookkeeper to protect the blank where bucktails or lures might rub or bang against it. JMHO.

Good luck, Mark

I agree with Mark and Billy. Coating the entire rod will only add weight and effect the action of the blank. It will do nothing for "ding control".

Al

im with you on that, i just coated the wraps last nite its all done. i have three of these. they are spanking rods.

my drying motor died in the middle of the nite and i have a few sag spots in the apoxy.

o well a little sandin and you wont be able to tell. unless you guys got a better idea. it is not bad at all and i could leave alone

thanks