Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Aug 11 - Aug 18

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Hello all, I'm a Jersey guy making a solo week long drive up the coast and fishing as much as possible at the end of this month.  Any advice on what profile plugs you guys are throwing this time of year would be greatly appreciated.  Sounds like bass and some funny fish around this time of year? Also going to be sleeping in the back of my truck so any leads on where I can do that and not get arrested would be greatly appreciated 

Yesterday’s trip with Jeannie B (part of Seven B’s fleet) out of Point Judith, RI fishing off of Block Island.

I was high hook using my new delivery of Bottom Feeder rigs from Tom Cornicelli.

great rigs!  They loved the big current.

We had 1 1/2 knot drift with heavy current most of the day. 60-75 ft depth. 8 - 16 oz weight with 12-16 oz most of the day.

Biggest was 9.3 +\- on a rolling boat with 23 Fluke and 7 by catch legal Black Sea Bass.

47615617-9EF5-4CE9-836B-16B945E882A6.jpeg

FFB2CD9F-8E24-4D9D-BE24-222B32910C5A.jpeg

E420CB36-1256-4798-974F-E0DE58B457E4.jpeg

1A26D2F6-04C0-4E7A-B08C-24A511CDB309.mov

Phew! Nice 7 day fishing marathon just came to and end. Tough to type this with those fun little cuts all over my hands. Best day from surf was daytime during the downpours Tuesday with topwater plugs then eels at slack. Intriguing how slowing down a topwater plug retrieve you can bring up some nice fish from the depths. 

Only saw one slug the whole time fishing.

I guess chubb mackerel are the new gamefish, counting 6 boats clustered at a popular location in heavy current one morning. My buddy hooked and cooked a few at our club and they are a decent tasting fish.

Great running into a number of my surf pals and a few members here. Plus thanks to the lovely ladies at a certain restaurant in chucktown for making sure I eat right.

3 hours ago, Bluetaildragger said:

Hello all, I'm a Jersey guy making a solo week long drive up the coast and fishing as much as possible at the end of this month.  Any advice on what profile plugs you guys are throwing this time of year would be greatly appreciated.  Sounds like bass and some funny fish around this time of year? Also going to be sleeping in the back of my truck so any leads on where I can do that and not get arrested would be greatly appreciated 

Sp minnows, mag darters, ss poppers, red fins. If fishing any outflows zig zag darters and a few bottles and can’t go wrong. Red gil teasers are a bonus of fish on small bait and no blues around. I suck at funny fish so others will have to chime in there. Peanuts are main bait right now. Mullet will fill in closer to oct.

big surf last nite. a few small bass to 25" but casting conditions were tough. sounds like i missed the best of the weeks bite but i may be back tonite if these onshore winds continue. 

16 hours ago, Bluetaildragger said:

Kooky covered you on the bass plugs.  For Albies/Bonito Hogy Epoxy Lures are a good choice.     

Posted (edited) · Report post

57 mins ago, rwilhelm said:

Kooky covered you on the bass plugs.  For Albies/Bonito Hogy Epoxy Lures are a good choice.     

last year my rotation was epoxy minnow, albie snax, xastmaster xl, and float n fly.  they wanted something different every day.

I'd add some pencils or the Doc or whatever you like for topwater for sunup/sundown/possible blitz action

Edited by gill

Float and fly is something I should use more than I do. The rest are in the standard funny rotation for me. I'd throw a Daddy Mac metal in there too. 

1 hour ago, Bluetaildragger said:

Thanks gents, greatly appreciate it.  See you out there!

Let us know when closer to being here, Someone  might be heading out and can put you on some fish.

Been here in RI since last Saturday. Spent every day at the beach with the family. Been out a couple of AMs before sunrise throwing a line in the surf and off a local jetty. Haven't had anything chasing at all. Seen a few pods of something far off breaking with birds on them. Not sure what was under these as the boats didn't stay with the boils for too long.

Going to try cut bait  and eels tonight. Will be splashing the boat after this weekend to check out what's out a little deeper.