jimbighead

Dog days looking ahead to increased activity

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I had my eyes on this morning being the first real chill off in a while, thinking the bite would be on.   0430 North Yarmouth 45 degrees...check

steam out to favorite mackerel bank and load up...check. .  Baitwell full by 0545

i had three family friends on board, none of which had ever really fished in earnest 

setup in 3 separate ideal locales with incoming tide, structure yada yada 

while I set them up so well and watched from the tower

i was amazed at the lethargy of the bass in the area 

3 balloons with live 

3-5 bass slowly looking at each and maybe a follow 

slow hit 

mouth and release 

really Cool to see, not so much fun for the fisher folk 

me thinks things turn back on very soon 

god willin 

night bite on pogie chunk has been ok. But I need a weeks worth of sleep 

Jim 

according to Sam Adams the fall run has started! It did feel very fall like last night. The fishing reflected it too, landed 4 in the low to mid 30” range and dropped 3 more in close, the same size. Lately it’s been either one good fish or nothing. Nice to have some numbers of small keeeper size fish. I haven’t had much of that this year. Once the silver sides come in it should take off in my spots. Fingers crossed. Jim, do you think their laziness was due to warm temps or possibly being stuffed? I’ve had a feeling the abundance of pogies has had a negative affect on fishing unless your on a school that’s activity feeding on them...or am I’m just making excuses for my self? lol

0E289F4E-9A5D-4F01-8127-F4AD5500BF74.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

I did something I never do last night and that was chase a report. I try to make a habit out of sticking to my own devices whether they pay off or not, I get more satisfaction than targeting fish in a bath tub, but last night it got the better of me. I fished for like 2 1/2 hours off the beach and another hour+ at the docks, lost a decent fish off the beach that hit aggressively, had him 80% of the way in and then poof gone, wasn’t happy. Decided to check out the docks and while my initial canvass didn’t reveal much life, just as I was about to call it a night I heard that all too familiar slap, followed by another and another and then a few bigger ones. Only landed two fish but lost a couple more on the way up and a few more in the drink. So where is this inane rambling headed you ask.....LOL. The fish definitely seemed to be in full-on feeding mode, it wreaked of fall run action even though I know that’s at least 3 weeks away give or take. It was cold that’s for sure, dipped into the low 50’s or upper 40’s I believe, felt Fall(ish) any way, made me appreciative for what lies ahead in the coming months. I have been fishing with a few guys this year who are newer to the game, not kids by any means but youngsters never the less, some of whom are very frustrated at the lack of size/numbers/consistency and all I keep saying is, just wait a month. All the short strikes all the half-hearted bites all the finicky fishing, that all changes come September. Sure ya still gotta find the fish but once ya do, hang on cause it’s gonna be a bumpy ride 

Edited by OOB Fisherman

Well August has been good for me so far.Just coming off an epic morning on Sunday. I know this isn't keeping with the hand wringing but maybe some people came to a striper site to get excited to spend time on the water. Managed 4 fish all over 34" with the biggest taping to 43". Finding Pogie schools with fish under is key. Use your electronics if you have them. Doesn't need to be vampire fishing either but change of light, tide and structure are key to chances. Disclaimer on pictures: no barbs,trebles, chunks,spears,gill nets used. I did take pictures which I guess is now also completely taboo before release but I am a terrible person. Didn't lift them by the jaw as they were fat but had to hold from flopping in the picture so I could revive and talk to them about living a productive life post release so excuse the hand.

Stocks are down for sure but you can still catch fish and not empty the ocean.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5 hours ago, Chiefy said:Well August has been good for me so far.Just coming off an epic morning on Sunday. I know this isn't keeping with the hand wringing but maybe some people came to a striper site to get excited to spend time on the water. Managed 4 fish all over 34" with the biggest taping to 43". Finding Pogie schools with fish under is key. Use your electronics if you have them. Doesn't need to be vampire fishing either but change of light, tide and structure are key to chances. Disclaimer on pictures: no barbs,trebles, chunks,spears,gill nets used. I did take pictures which I guess is now also completely taboo before release but I am a terrible person. Didn't lift them by the jaw as they were fat but had to hold from flopping in the picture so I could revive and talk to them about living a productive life post release so excuse the hand.

Chiefly

I caught and released 38 striped bass this morning with two of those fish exceeding 30 inches in length. I would have liked to have taken a couple of quick pictures of the two big ones for the grand kids. However, the current fish handling debates shamed me into leaving my camera at home today. I'll have to rethink that one.

BTW: what kind of camera did you use to take pictures shown above??

On 8/12/2019 at 4:31 PM, Crozzbow said:

Chiefly

I caught and released 38 striped bass this morning with two of those fish exceeding 30 inches in length. I would have liked to have taken a couple of quick pictures of the two big ones for the grand kids. However, the current fish handling debates shamed me into leaving my camera at home today. I'll have to rethink that one.

BTW: what kind of camera did you use to take pictures shown above??

Trusty, mostly wet iphone. Nothing wrong with pictures, chucking a fish off a jetty, dragging a big fish, gut hook, trebles, warm water photo shoot, those things hurt release success.

On 8/12/2019 at 10:41 AM, Chiefy said:

Well August has been good for me so far.Just coming off an epic morning on Sunday. I know this isn't keeping with the hand wringing but maybe some people came to a striper site to get excited to spend time on the water. Managed 4 fish all over 34" with the biggest taping to 43". Finding Pogie schools with fish under is key. Use your electronics if you have them. Doesn't need to be vampire fishing either but change of light, tide and structure are key to chances. Disclaimer on pictures: no barbs,trebles, chunks,spears,gill nets used. I did take pictures which I guess is now also completely taboo before release but I am a terrible person. Didn't lift them by the jaw as they were fat but had to hold from flopping in the picture so I could revive and talk to them about living a productive life post release so excuse the hand.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Well done on some good fish, fishings really hit and miss on the bait schools unfortunately, but looks like you got a few nice ones to take, Congrats on the releases as well! 

On 8/12/2019 at 11:46 AM, Lemonade said:

What were you using under the pogies? I have snagged and dropped, live lined, trolled the pogies and cant get any bass to bite.

Flies then shifted to live line as i just couldn't get down where i wanted/was marking with the wind and current. i hate,hate fishing pogie schools but said this year i am going to try and figure it out. The kayak is key. i have had zero success trying it with my boat.

Sumpthin' to consider. With all the pogies about the bass will not feed every day. back in the ninties some friends and I would fish nearly every day. The pogies were really thick back then (similar to this year), and we determined that they were on a three day schedule. They would feed aggressively for one day then not feed at all for the next two days. I'm not sure if that same feeding schedule is present today but it's something to think about.

On 8/13/2019 at 9:17 PM, Chiefy said:

Flies then shifted to live line as i just couldn't get down where i wanted/was marking with the wind and current. i hate,hate fishing pogie schools but said this year i am going to try and figure it out. The kayak is key. i have had zero success trying it with my boat.

I’ve been trying to do the same thing this year, figuring out how to fish live pogies for stripers mostly from the kayak.  I’ve been finding I prefer the kayak over the boat too. Can’t beat the stealth, maneuverability, and ease of working baits right next to the rocks from a kayak.  

The last few years have been tough for me seeing all the great photos from charter boats catching big bass on pogies while I’ve been struggling to catch decent sized fish on plugs in July and August.  This year I gave in - guess it’s an “if you can’t beat them join them” situation.  I never feel like catching stripers from a boat is as much fun as the surf, but a kayak certainly is. 

On 8/14/2019 at 8:45 AM, Mainiac said:

Sumpthin' to consider. With all the pogies about the bass will not feed every day. back in the ninties some friends and I would fish nearly every day. The pogies were really thick back then (similar to this year), and we determined that they were on a three day schedule. They would feed aggressively for one day then not feed at all for the next two days. I'm not sure if that same feeding schedule is present today but it's something to think about.

This is spot on. There are definitely more off days than on days. Have marked fish that I know are substantial or at least the marks are and no dice. Most times just missed thanksgiving dinner and its sleepy time for the fish.