yemista

Who says dogfish are no fun?

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

40 mins ago, Malsow said:

Years ago when I was working at a restaurant I was told a lot of scallops were actually punched dogfish. I always wanted to try and see for myself if they are a close substitute.  

Has anyone tried?

I thought skate was used for that?

22 hours ago, jayfaro said:

I'm 47 and remember going deep sea fishing out of Newburyport when we were kids with our folks and the mates would unhook and immediately kill every dogfish that came over the rails...never understood why.

On a side note, Scooby, do you know who that woman is in your avatar? I'm a big fan! LOL

45, when i was kid, my dad took me on a party boat and the mates did the same thing. They would snap the backs and toss them. I just think they hated dealing with them.

14 mins ago, FEW3 said:

45, when i was kid, my dad took me on a party boat and the mates did the same thing. They would snap the backs and toss them. I just think they hated dealing with them.

My father was a football/lacrosse coach/teacher/athletic director at a high school in NH. One of his assistant coaches had a cottage and a lobster boat out of Gloucester which he worked in the summer.

He took us out for a tuna trip around 1976 or 1977. He did not use rods, but used skinny ropes and big hooks tied to cleats. I was only 11 or 12 at the time, but I still remember going to the huge garage type buildings on the waterfront with huge grinders on either side of the garage where we filled two garbage barrels with chum from a massive pile of ground up fish.

I was pretty young, but it was a long trip out before he set out the lines. All we caught was dog fish, and he was getting pissed off, and started to kill the dog fish. He ended up cutting them up and putting the chunks of dogfish on the hooks, because he said they won't eat themselves.  No tuna that day-just dogfish, but a good memory for a kid.  He was pissed because it was a wasted day for him-no tuna while he was not tending to his his lobster traps.

I was on a boat maybe 10 years ago now, caught a dog fish and the captain of the boat grabbed it out of my hands, snapped its nose and threw it back.  after watching it swim in circles for about a minute I made him take me back to shore and stopped fishing.

I think people need to think about people doing that to a fish like a striper and they'd have a much different outlook on it.  Never ok to kill something for no reason at all

2 hours ago, aglenn said:

I was on a boat maybe 10 years ago now, caught a dog fish and the captain of the boat grabbed it out of my hands, snapped its nose and threw it back.  after watching it swim in circles for about a minute I made him take me back to shore and stopped fishing.

I think people need to think about people doing that to a fish like a striper and they'd have a much different outlook on it.  Never ok to kill something for no reason at all

Agreed. Just because the fish is a nuisance does not mean it does not play an important role in the ecosystem. 

6 hours ago, FEW3 said:

I thought skate was used for that?

I've heard that about skate too. I really dont know If they used dog fish that way but people had said it in the kitchen. Having never knowingly had either of them I'd guess theyd tasted they same. Similar diets I'd suspect and behavior.

15 hours ago, Malsow said:

I've heard that about skate too. I really dont know If they used dog fish that way but people had said it in the kitchen. Having never knowingly had either of them I'd guess theyd tasted they same. Similar diets I'd suspect and behavior.

Both are old wives tales. If you can't tell the difference between skate, doggies and scallops you have no taste buds.

22 hours ago, Malsow said:

Years ago when I was working at a restaurant I was told a lot of scallops were actually punched dogfish. I always wanted to try and see for myself if they are a close substitute.  

Has anyone tried?

Yes, last year down at a friends beach house in Pt. Judith, caught a couple and decided to fillet and grill them...just butter, salt, pepper and garlic powder, wrapped in foil...delicious! (I can hear all the groans). Lol 

53 mins ago, DanCbass said:

Yes, last year down at a friends beach house in Pt. Judith, caught a couple and decided to fillet and grill them...just butter, salt, pepper and garlic powder, wrapped in foil...delicious! (I can hear all the groans). Lol 

So did they taste anything at all like scallops?

1 hour ago, MakoMike said:

Both are old wives tales. If you can't tell the difference between skate, doggies and scallops you have no taste buds.

None of us claimed it as fact.

1 hour ago, MakoMike said:

Not sure that reasoning works. If a guy comes up from Ohio once a year and eats dogfish/skate that was passed off as scallops how would he know. 

Recently I was a a restaurant in Marion. It was the first time in a while I had scallops that had any real taste.