Who says dogfish are no fun?

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, foxfai said:

Many summers ago I did that and ran into a  big group of dog fish .....  Needless to say after the third one, I got tired of them.....

You never find just one!

====Mako Mike====
Makomania Sportfishing
Pt. Judith, RI

On a "bluefish" trip on a boat out of the north shore once, all we caught were spiny dogs.    When one of the guides got the spine stuck in his forearm while unhooking one rather tangled doggie, it confirmed my dislike for those nasty bastids.

the guy bled everywhere and his arm blew up like a baloon.

Edited by pogie_boy
DITCH TROLL

In some depth and a little bit of current when the big ones are on the feed.  They are a blast for sure on even heavy bass tackle.

The occasional slap in the nuts adds to the experience......even better when they slap someone else while your unhooking it. :)

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

1 min ago, pogie_boy said:

On a "bluefish" trip on a boat out of the north shore once, all we caught were spiny dogs.    When one of the guides got the spine stuck in his forearm while unhooking one rather tangled doggie, it confirmed my dislike for those nasty bastids.

I took a spine in the knuckle joint about 10 years ago.   Go figure that's the joint that every so often  gets stuck

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

I'm 47 and remember going deep sea fishing out of Newburyport when we were kids with our folks and the mates would unhook and immediately kill every dogfish that came over the rails...never understood why.

On a side note, Scooby, do you know who that woman is in your avatar? I'm a big fan! LOL

That's a smooth dog fish.  The spiny dog fish are the real PITA.  If you are fishing off shore (and some times in shore) with bait there are times when you cannot keep a bait in the water for more than 30 seconds without hooking one.  I took a kid from work on a chunking trip several years ago and he was surprised at my negative reaction (these f*&^ing things ....) to the first one.  About 15 minutes later he wanted to kill everyone that we hooked.

sam