ermghoti

Nocqua vs DIY

13 posts in this topic

It looks to me like a Nocqua kit costs about the same as a quality lithium battery and charger alone. The Nocqua is not waterproof, so I'd be inclined to rig a Pelican style box with connectors Gooped in, and mount it on some upper surface of the inside of the hull. Is there any advantage of going in one direction or the other? I've searched, but all the threads seem to take a lithium vs SLA tack, which is a separate issue.

I have a  Nocqua 10AH, sure looks waterproof, it is in a molded rubber case with  the waterproof molded to case cord coming out. The outter nylon bag makes it look not waterproof. Just mounted a Dragonfly on the kayak and heading up to Salem kayak fishing  tourney , I’ll let ya know how it works.

I’m an electrician  and pretty anal  about stuff I was  impressed with the whole battery setup, your pelican  case empty will weigh almost what the 10ah setup EFD306B1-33F4-4265-ACE8-3B47D3AFBC0A.jpeg.311d0dd57c58560722f4a69080af6ab8.jpegweighs.

901B4044-034A-4245-8FA1-A8CC213B11A1.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

20 hours ago, ermghoti said:

It looks to me like a Nocqua kit costs about the same as a quality lithium battery and charger alone. The Nocqua is not waterproof, so I'd be inclined to rig a Pelican style box with connectors Gooped in, and mount it on some upper surface of the inside of the hull. Is there any advantage of going in one direction or the other? I've searched, but all the threads seem to take a lithium vs SLA tack, which is a separate issue.

I think your overthinking it.  Says it’s water proof.  Call Nocqua and see what they say. 

Many of us here still use 12 volt SLA batteries, some use a water proof box, some don’t. 

I have a nocqua and a SLA and never had a waterproof box. 

D0F2BDBD-3E66-4F18-9BCF-D4BA700D6A8A.png

Edited by The Riddler

I have NOCQUA going on 2 years. Sure looks waterproof to me. No issues at all, mine gets wet often. Powers Lowrance all day at full bright, powered Raymarine Dragonfly(not good sucess) before that. I think you are over complicating a bit. A little bit of grease on the connections and call it a day.

Fair enough, over thinking is one of my specialties. I've seen it listed as both waterproof and water resistant, but never with a rating. It seems safe to say it's water resistant enough for normal kayak duties? I guess if it's installed inside the hull, a blown fuse would be the least of my concerns if it ended up submerged for any length of time.

25 mins ago, ermghoti said:

Fair enough, over thinking is one of my specialties. I've seen it listed as both waterproof and water resistant, but never with a rating. It seems safe to say it's water resistant enough for normal kayak duties? I guess if it's installed inside the hull, a blown fuse would be the least of my concerns if it ended up submerged for any length of time.

If you pull the jacket off the battery you'll notice that its inside a tight fitting rubber bootie..... Any water that's gonna get in is gonna get in around the wire entry hole, one battery's power cord might have a tighter fit in that hole than the other, you'd have to check yours......

1 hour ago, ermghoti said:

New ideas are always welcome.  We know there isn’t ever one way. 

I like Ike your thinking.  I have the nocqua male and female water proof connector sitting in a typical Hobie puddle of water inside the hull for over a week. No damage it works but I need to put some ox-guard here because it will oxidize and corroded later.  Always does! 

At a minimum, I'll suspend the bag from the upper interior of the hull, so there shouldn't be any bathing unless something goes catastrophically awry. I'm pretty sure I'm putting a 241 mount on the flat on the console that is almost certainly molded specifically for it (P13), I can piggyback some sort of bracket from the hardware for it. I'm pretty confident at this point that with a little dielectric grease there should be no trouble at all.

47 mins ago, ermghoti said:

At a minimum, I'll suspend the bag from the upper interior of the hull, so there shouldn't be any bathing unless something goes catastrophically awry. 

O.K. makes a nice little battery bag that gets strapped up under the deck i actually have one laying around collecting dust....

front-hatch.jpg.42a8a07faa139ebfc496670ceaf37735.jpg

I have one on the way, along with a HB scupper transducer. Seems likely it will work out fine.

The Hummingbird exchange program didn't do me any good. $85 to exchange the transom mount model for the scupper version. I bought the other transducer for $99, which will be in my hands Friday, and unused transom transducers are selling on eBay for around $50. After fees I'll be at least $20 ahead, and have the thing several days sooner.