TMorrish

What did I hook???

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I was out bottom fishing in Narragansett yesterday and had something eat a 10in black sea bass. I fought it for 10 minutes and it came off the hook. When I brought the sea bass up there were no teeth marks on it it had just been swallowed and puked back up. My leader wasn't even chewed up.

What the heck could it have been? Are there big rays in the bay? It didn't fight like a striper. 

What do you think?

5 mins ago, TMorrish said:

I was out bottom fishing in Narragansett yesterday and had something eat a 10in black sea bass. I fought it for 10 minutes and it came off the hook. When I brought the sea bass up there were no teeth marks on it it had just been swallowed and puked back up. My leader wasn't even chewed up.

What the heck could it have been? Are there big rays in the bay? It didn't fight like a striper. 

What do you think?

if it was scaled it was a bass.

if not then Hmmmmm,,,,no marks on the sea bass?

HH

The bsb looked like it had a bad day, it was missing some scales but it did swim away when I put it in the water. 

Whatever it was it was heavy. I was able to see it on my fish finder. I would pull it up about 10 feet and it would head straight back to the bottom. I wish I had been able to see the Leviathan.

I may have to go back out and liveline a scup in that area and see what I can bring up. 

I had a bass grab one a few years ago too. It never got the hook, but the sea bass turned out to be a keeper so it wasn't a total loss.

4 hours ago, whitey said:

Rouge Lobster Pot 

HA! I have caught plenty of those. Occasionally I can pull them up to my kayak and get my hook back. Braided line is amazing stuff.