RKG1

Do You Ever Clean the Line on Your Spool?

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

I honestly never do anything.  Got 2 twenty year old Penn reels with line I've changed maybe twice? And a couple penn combos that are 3 years old I think? And I used to fish shitfaced.  These have been in the ocean, slammed off seaweed covered rocks and dropped in the sand. Oh and caught MANY fish. 

This seems like overthought/boredom corona thinking, I just rinse my whole sh*t with warm fresh water after every use and change line seasonally and have never had any problems. Water is water and will rinse, also have stupid friends who don't rinse their reels at all and have no problems ever. 

I fish the fall from right after Labor Day until just before Christmas. My rods and reels stay on my bumper 24/7. They are Penns nothing fancy. A slammer, a couple Conflicts 1 & 2, a Battle II and a couple old plastic spinfishers. They sit out in heat, rain. Snow, sleet they get rinsed off when I wash the truck off about once a week. Every week or two I go home for a day or two to see family. They seldom need any maintenance. The reel I use most for plugging may get sluggish sometime in November and get a quick grease job. Some years not. They all get torn down and greased and any springs or drag washers in January. I’ve been doing this for as long as I can remember and it works for me. Line gets replaced as needed.

This seems like overthought/boredom corona thinking

LOL, I started this post and looking back I think your are correct.  Probably really wanted to post something, anything, that day, and no doubt influenced by a few bourbons at the time.  Now I just wish this post would go away!

But in all honesty, I was kind of wondering if the salt that gets soaked deep into the line on the spool can lead to corrosion of the spool if left there for an extended period of time.

43 mins ago, RKG1 said:

But in all honesty, I was kind of wondering if the salt that gets soaked deep into the line on the spool can lead to corrosion of the spool if left there for an extended period of time.

It can, and will. Mono just as much as braid. Easier to just throw them under some warm water and let it soak through, than deal with it later. Alot of my rods have K guides, so I'm already used to routine cleaning .