RKG1

Do You Ever Clean the Line on Your Spool?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

I always rinse my saltwater reels with fresh water after every use.  But what about the line on the spool?  I assume the line is wound too tightly to allow a fresh water rinse to penetrate very deep, so do you ever do anything to clean the spooled line and the spool down to the arbor?  If so, what process do you use?  

I never have, but I do reverse it after a couple seasons. I suppose you could soak the spool in FW to remove some of the wound in salt.

Braid specific - Remove all the drag components and soak the spool in fresh hot water, stir occasionally.  Remove and reverse the line on the reel spool while running thru a wet rag.  Reversing means take the line off the reel winding it on to another empty spool -  drill onto the original plastic spool the line came on.  Drill that onto another empty plastic spool and finally wind back onto the starting reel spool.  All the while running thru a wet rag and apply pressure on the final run for a nice tight spool wrap.  Braid is usually anchored to the spool with electrical tape and no backing.  Done once a season when fishing heavily, now I just let the salt soaked braid slowly eat away at the aluminum spool cause I'm to lazy to reverse after to few uses during the year.  :o       

Posted (edited) · Report post

I strip spools completely of line and backing at end of each season and clean spool off with warm water and soap. No matter how long braid is supposed to last it is a very good idea to put fresh line on at the beginning of every season. Besides, after each trip you should be cutting back a few yards of line ( because of wear from casting) so after 30 or so trips the line level on spool should be too low and new line is needed. Plus, line is so important when you think about it? Perhaps the most important part of your fishing outfit...... I would add that I rinse my spool and line thoroughly with fresh water from the garden hose after each trip.

Edited by VanStaalSteve

Strip line into front loading washer.  (Do not use a top loading washer...this will ruin line(don't ask))  Run on delicate cycle with tide pods that have been chewed up and spit directly onto line.  This is my go to method.(braid and mono)  Still using Ande pink on a 704 that was loaded in the winter of 1974.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Absolutely....a cleaned line helps the bunker oil permeate the line.

I prefer to soak the spool in bunker oil...and cure it in the microwave.

when on the water it slowly leaches out and acts as a time release attractant.

Edited by scoobydoo

35 mins ago, PaddyCrabby said:

Strip line into front loading washer.  (Do not use a top loading washer...this will ruin line(don't ask))  Run on delicate cycle with tide pods that have been chewed up and spit directly onto line.  This is my go to method.(braid and mono)  Still using Ande pink on a 704 that was loaded in the winter of 1974.

27 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

Both of these.

On 8/11/2019 at 9:25 AM, Darth Baiter said:

Braid specific - Remove all the drag components and soak the spool in fresh hot water, stir occasionally.  Remove and reverse the line on the reel spool while running thru a wet rag.  Reversing means take the line off the reel winding it on to another empty spool -  drill onto the original plastic spool the line came on.  Drill that onto another empty plastic spool and finally wind back onto the starting reel spool.  All the while running thru a wet rag and apply pressure on the final run for a nice tight spool wrap.  Braid is usually anchored to the spool with electrical tape and no backing.  Done once a season when fishing heavily, now I just let the salt soaked braid slowly eat away at the aluminum spool cause I'm to lazy to reverse after to few uses during the year.  :o       

1 hour ago, PaddyCrabby said:

1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

tenor.gif

An old sharpie taught to lay the reel on the ground and piss on it. Something about the chemical properties of urine that breaks down all of the crud. Then just a freshwater rinse.

4 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

5 hours ago, PaddyCrabby said:

Helpful :laugh:

I spool down all my line using an old reel holding the line with a clean wet cloth to clean them, then re-spool them back to the new reel.