Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Roccus7

"I'm a C&R fisherman. I'm holier than thou!!!"

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

I read this article in the paper too.  I don't know, I seem to remember hearing from friends and reading in the Press Herald this winter about people catching 10 to 20 lb tougue out of Sebago.  That sounds like some pretty good fish to me??? They must be eating something? 

Very situational especially in an enclosed body of water, this is a touch example to show that catch n release is a “bad thing”, if you were catching and releasing invasives like pike or something that’s a different story 

Edited by stripedbassking

Mr red tide. Twenty pounds is a big togue yes !!! We need to protect them. You ask a good question about what they eat. It needs to be HEALTHY out there will be no big ones for future generations !!!

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 8/12/2019 at 2:30 PM, Chalkdust said:

I did this a few years ago. You miss a lot of fish, but the fun in fishing poppers is watching them blow it up.

Not sure if I'm missing "many" fish, but I do know it's certainly a step in the right direction.  This time of year the "stealth" hits, ones that occur under water when I stop the popper and let is sink, are deep swallows, while the vast majority of hits are the explosive surface ones which are almost always a front hook hookup.

Since I've switched to the single tail hook, I've had only 3 deep hookings, 2 of which are on the roof of the mouth because I have the hook point oriented "up", and the one fish hooked around a gill arch took me all of 20 seconds to remove with my long pliers with no blood!!  All mouth hookings on the tail hook have been in the corner of the mouth, reminiscent of a circle hook hooking.

The secret here is to find open eyed single hooks with eyes that are offset 90° from the vertical plane, so the hook point will be up.  IMO the split ring solution with a normal single hook allows too much of a swing arc, something I'm not a fan of...

Edited by Roccus7