"I'm a C&R fisherman. I'm holier than thou!!!"

Rate this topic

Roccus7

8 mins ago, stormy monday said:

Do people tie on circles?

I do. You have to be very careful with portions, and realize you can't tie all pattern types.

That said, I've NEVER gill/gullet hooked a bass with a circle hook.

1 min ago, ken r said:

I do. You have to be very careful with portions, and realize you can't tie all pattern types.

Cool! I've switched to a short shanked tarpon hook and have similar results, better than the standard 3407 length shank. I was looking at one kind of circle, maybe an Owner mosquito, and it looked like it had an offset that might impeded it swimming straight. It was a small hook, was going to use it for shad...Are yours offset?

15 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

The Portland Press Herald has an interesting article on C&R Salmon and Togue's bad impact on the fishery in lakes like Sebago, Why catch-and-release is killing, not conserving, Maine fisheries.  It's worth reading.  Granted it's about fresh water ecosystems, but they may be a moral here for striped bass fishermen too.  

Here's my favorite snippet:  

The widespread practice of catch-and-release in waters across Maine has thrown many ecosystems out of balance, creating a vicious cycle: an overabundance of fish that leads to a lack of forage, resulting in scrawny catches that no one wants to keep. And, so, the fishermen throw them back – usually under the assumption that they’re helping.

<<Click Bait>>

Yeah the moral is don't introduce non native species that will out compete the native species and lead to a decline. [State of Maine 1970's] Now it's the evil C&R fisherman that don't want to eat 30 togue that lead to a decline?! How about the effect of DDT manufactured by Monsato that was heavily sprayed back in the day that decimated the species. Nothing to see here folks its the recreational fishery that did it.

The problem is trouble hooks and CHUNKED bait !!! All of us friends we can do it. I see guys at Pine Point and my favorite river who GET it. Not naming river so no spot burn. Pine Point is POPULAR fishing spot. We have to protect the fisheries once and for all !!! See you on the flats guys

8 hours ago, Mousam said:

The problem is trouble hooks and CHUNKED bait !!! All of us friends we can do it. I see guys at Pine Point and my favorite river who GET it. Not naming river so no spot burn. Pine Point is POPULAR fishing spot. We have to protect the fisheries once and for all !!! See you on the flats guys

Your "favorite river" lol.

Yes Mousam, more so than even your handle itself, you have just spot burned. I've fished the area and I know just how little real estate there is to fish at your "favorite river".

10 hours ago, Mousam said:

Ban trouble hooks and chunked bait!!

This article has zero to do with C&R mortality; it is strictly about the over-population of popular sport fishing waters ( and introduced species).   If you are concerned about C&R mortality, keep them wet, not bait, no trebles, use appropriate sized gear and don't fish if the water is too warm.  Recreational C&R mortality will be greatly reduced by restricting methods that cause the greatest mortality.  If you catch a keeper, and keep it, you are done for the day- no more high grading.

I would ******* LOVE a grave blanket. icon14.gif

19 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

I'm migrating my poppers' tail hooks from trebles to singles.  Easier to get out...

I did this a few years ago. You miss a lot of fish, but the fun in fishing poppers is watching them blow it up.

(*member formerly known as 'Fairplay')

18 hours ago, ken r said:

I tie everything on circles  mustad C71 ss.

chartruese.jpg

Edited by titleguy

4 mins ago, titleguy said:

I tie everything on circles  mustad C71 ss.

I tie a ballyhoo pattern that requires a long shank to imitate the beak. Another one I can think of is a squid pattern I tie. Just not enough room for me on a circle hook.

Check out the mustads- circle streamer- it is the same shank length a regular mustad streamer hook.  The fly pictured in a 2/0 hook with 3.5" puglesi brush. 

These hollows give you a good idea of how long the shanks are.  The upper fly is on a regular circle/octopus5d51ca08c22c0_striperbugger.jpg.4cdd1efe52cac326b6bb7f1d33a06aa5.jpghollows.jpg.965fbe6a3a16a03b55e5a03944613bec.jpg

Edited by titleguy