Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Roccus7

"I'm a C&R fisherman. I'm holier than thou!!!"

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

The Portland Press Herald has an interesting article on C&R Salmon and Togue's bad impact on the fishery in lakes like Sebago, Why catch-and-release is killing, not conserving, Maine fisheries.  It's worth reading.  Granted it's about fresh water ecosystems, but they may be a moral here for striped bass fishermen too.  

Here's my favorite snippet:  

The widespread practice of catch-and-release in waters across Maine has thrown many ecosystems out of balance, creating a vicious cycle: an overabundance of fish that leads to a lack of forage, resulting in scrawny catches that no one wants to keep. And, so, the fishermen throw them back – usually under the assumption that they’re helping.

There isn’t an overabundance of stripers. I think you would be hard pressed to find an expert who believes c&r isn’t a best practice for pressured species in marine environment.

Posted (edited) · Report post

25 mins ago, MaxKatt said:

There isn’t an overabundance of stripers. I think you would be hard pressed to find an expert who believes c&r isn’t a best practice for pressured species in marine environment.

Well ASFMC is asking states to try to find ways to have less recreational releases, especially in extreme heat which doesn't bode well for the fish.  Don't lose sight of the fact that more fish were killed by Rec Releases in 2017 than by Rec Landings.  HTH they'd actually do this is the big question, but no one should think that their C&R fishing has no negative impact on the fishery.

Edited by Roccus7

21 mins ago, Roccus7 said:

Well ASFMC is asking states to try to find ways to have less recreational releases, especially in extreme heat which doesn't bode well for the fish.  Don't lose sight of the fact that more fish were killed by Rec Releases in 2017 than by Rec Landings.  HTH they'd actually do this is the big question, but no one should think that their C&R fishing has no negative impact on the fishery.

It's all worthy of consideration.  I'm reading An Entirely Synthetic Fish by Anders Halverson and it discusses all the unintended consequences of what was considered sound fisheries management practices at the time.  Granted, hindsight is always 20/20, but it definitely makes you suspicious of those "holier than thou" and other folks who think their position is beyond reproach.    

Wonder if this is what influenced sebago for lakers? 

For trout and salmon I think education is the best that they can do but most will never be a biologist. Rubber nets, single hooks, and teaching folks to move on if they are catching shorts. Likewise, don’t use such heavy gear that would cause you to drag a little guy around the pond for an hour. Lastly, there is a day and time of day where it may be too hot to fish. 

I’d also point that even in freshwater, the situation highlighted here is atypical.   

The piece specifies the problem is centered on just two species it names: Salmon & Togue.  It states this is because those fish are particularly long lived.

Presumably, fish with more common shorter lifespans would naturally adapt to the environment and available forage and the system would normalize without generating a an over abundance of stunted fish and depleted forage.

You guys will hate to hear it, but googling to find the original article referenced, and others to study the issue, lead to the reading several pieces that questioned the ethics of all sport fishing.   It’s something I’d considered myself.  I remain conflicted.  

On on the upside, watch BST if I feel compelled to liquidate the pile of fishing gear acquired across a lifetime of targeting everything that swims at one time or another.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I avoid articles like that lol. I do remember the pig out days when we'd go to a popular Kennbunk river and catch 100 fish in an outing, all schoolies, all "C&R". We just didn't think about post release mortality. After a while we swiched to cutting off flies and poppers at the bend. Now if I get 5 schoolies in a spot I leave. I also stopped fish selfies for the most part, I think especially with this warmer water even that short duration is too much. I've been pretty lucky lately, getting into a nice population of 26-28" fish, release several keepers in 2 weeks, none came out of the water. With schoolies they seem to get more aggresive and sometimes will get that fly past their lips - if it ain't lip hooked I don't even try to get the fly, I just cut the leader, although it doesn't happen that often. The hooks I've been using seem to rust really fast so hpefully that helps. I'm not going to stop fishing, but I will try to put the odds of survival in their favor...

Edited by stormy monday

If you believe everything verbatim you read in the news media, especially the Portland Herald, I'll tell you about my 100 pound striper.    I have no pictures because it jumped while I was trying to photograph it and ate my camera.  

6 hours ago, stormy monday said:

I'm not going to stop fishing, but I will try to put the odds of survival in their favor...

Stormy

I like to think that I,m doing my best to "put the odds of survival in their favor..." but ,  my commitment to that effort hasn't been anywhere near to yours. Time to take a closer look at some of the things that you and others may bring to this discussion.  I might just learn enough to tighten up my own personal commitment to not knowingly waste the resource just for sport.

Thanks

7 hours ago, stormy monday said:

I avoid articles like that lol. I do remember the pig out days when we'd go to a popular Kennbunk river and catch 100 fish in an outing, all schoolies, all "C&R". We just didn't think about post release mortality. After a while we swiched to cutting off flies and poppers at the bend. Now if I get 5 schoolies in a spot I leave. I also stopped fish selfies for the most part, I think especially with this warmer water even that short duration is too much. I've been pretty lucky lately, getting into a nice population of 26-28" fish, release several keepers in 2 weeks, none came out of the water. With schoolies they seem to get more aggresive and sometimes will get that fly past their lips - if it ain't lip hooked I don't even try to get the fly, I just cut the leader, although it doesn't happen that often. The hooks I've been using seem to rust really fast so hpefully that helps. I'm not going to stop fishing, but I will try to put the odds of survival in their favor...

Go with barbless circle hooks.

BTW- the OP title is disingenuous. I am a C&R fisherman 99.99% of the time and I really don't give a fuq whatever it is anyone else is doing. Just keep it legal.

I am certainly not holier than anyone else.

58 mins ago, ken r said:

BTW- the OP title is disingenuous. I am a C&R fisherman 99.99% of the time and I really don't give a fuq whatever it is anyone else is doing. Just keep it legal.

I am certainly not holier than anyone else.

Ditto

Although I really do care about the fishery as a whole, when it comes to fishing I try not to preach to other people and do my best to avoid people who try to preach to me. 

And believe me, nobody has ever accused me of having any holy tendencies.

1 hour ago, ken r said:

Go with barbless circle hooks.

Haven't tried tying flies on circle hooks yet, but a lot of my flies do have mashed barbs. Oddly the only fish I've had take flies deep tend to be the sub-20" schoolies. In areas I expect to see those I do use barbless though. Do people tie on circles?