Huy

Carolina cast pro rods

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Really?  If you're using a shock leader, the leader should take the load of the cast, not the running line. No?

I have no experience with genuine power casting, pendulum or otherwise. But ReelinRod, who posts now and then, uses a shock leader of 100 lb. braid to a swivel to a few feet of mono or fluoro, and he seems happy with that arrangement. 

Connman description of the problem with braid and heavy payload and a power cast was exactly what I was trying to get at. I would stick to the basic drum setup used by almost all experienced drum guys. 17/20 lb mono to 60 -80 lb shock leader.If you are not real laying into it the 60 will do you fine in most applications. 

On 8/12/2019 at 7:42 PM, connman said:

Heavy payload is conventional territory with mono. Only a masochist would relish 6-8 and bait on spinning. Can it be done sure and a few guys do it but go to any drum pier or Hatteras point and you will see everyone using mono on conventional. 

Mono flows better off a conventional , being slightly stiffer than braid it pushes itself off the spool , braid being limp backlashes with the slightest hiccup in line flow unless you add additional braking. The additional braking robs you of ultimate distance. Braid also beds into itself which produces that momentary stop and go which leads to backlashes. Which is why you often see guys cracking off first cast after a fish because the line has dug into itself on the spool  while fighting fish. This is when power casting and true distance . Lobbing  a bait 50-75 yards is easily done with braid or mono but you start pushing 8nbait 

100,125 150 yards then reel better be synced and this is best done with mono. The higher spool speeds don't tolerate any glitches in line flow or crack off city ....

I've used braid on a conventional as well and this was my exact experience.  It can be done but I now prefer mono.  The part where braid digs into itself simply robs distance on a conventional setup when you're heaving lead.  It also increases the likelihood of your line birdnesting during a cast.  With a conventional reel, you want your spool to be in free-spool during the cast.  The weight+bait should be pulling on your line with the least amount of effort to maximize your casting distance.  With mono, it tends to spring off the spool better without digging into itself so I prefer it over braid.  Remember, on a conventional rod, the line for the most part doesn't spiral off your spool like a spinning setup.  It just gets threaded through so you don't lose distance from mono slapping the choke guides as much.  On a spinning setup, thin limp braid probably has a greater impact on casting distance.  I also don't want to manually lay braided line on a conventional reel.  Thin wet braided line and using your fingers to lay the line is asking for cuts.  I've also always used a mono shock leader for fishing lead+bait.  Regardless if it's braid to mono or mono to mono.  Even 5oz+bait generates a lot of energy during a power cast.  10oz can be hazardous without the proper shock leader.  If you're power casting using 20-30 braid without a shock leader or only using 20-30 shocker leader with your setup and not breaking off, you're either extremely lucky so far or just not casting to your full potential.

Edited by Espresso

1 min ago, Espresso said:

I've used braid on a conventional as well and this was my exact experience.  It can be done but I now prefer mono.  The part where braid digs into itself simply robs distance on a conventional setup when you're heaving lead.  It also increases the likelihood of your line birdnesting during a cast.  With a conventional reel, you want your spool to be in free-spool during the cast.  The weight+bait should be pulling on your line with the least amount of effort to maximize your casting distance.  With mono, it tends to spring off the spool better without digging into itself so I prefer it over braid.  Remember, on a conventional rod, the line for the most part doesn't spiral off your spool like a spinning setup.  It just gets threaded through so you don't lose distance from mono slapping the choke guides as much.  On a spinning setup, thin limp braid probably has a greater impact on casting distance.  I also don't want to manually lay braided line on a conventional reel.  Thin wet braided line and using your fingers to lay the line is asking for cuts.  I've also always used a mono shock leader for fishing lead+bait.  Regardless if it's braid to mono or mono to mono.  Even 5oz+bait generates a lot of energy during a power cast.  10oz can be hazardous without the proper shock leader.  If you're power casting using 20-30 braid without a shock leader or only using 20-30 shocker leader with your setup and not breaking off, you're either extremely lucky so far or just not casting to your full potential.

The iffy point for any shock leader is always the knot. How do you like to join your leader to your running line?