Huy

Carolina cast pro rods

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

Not to get to far off topic, but what brand 20lb. mono are you guys using to cast heavy weight and bait?

I have been fishing the Suffix Tritanium 17lb on my SM.  It’s nice line but seems a little on the stiff/brittle side for me. I want to move up to a 20lb mono, but want to find the strongest, low diameter line to test out.  Want to try something different than the Tritanium. Any suggestions?

3 hours ago, animalbarrie said:

Conventional set up - 17 - 20lb mono with a 50lb shock leader throwing 8oz is the way to go. 

This setup set up would be a higly recomended in Hatteras.  Cause it works.

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 mins ago, surffshr said:

This setup set up would be a higly recomended in Hatteras.  Cause it works.

There is strong current sideway. That is why 8 oz sinker is needed.

Edited by ksong

1 hour ago, Tagman said:

Not to get to far off topic, but what brand 20lb. mono are you guys using to cast heavy weight and bait?

I have been fishing the Suffix Tritanium 17lb on my SM.  It’s nice line but seems a little on the stiff/brittle side for me. I want to move up to a 20lb mono, but want to find the strongest, low diameter line to test out.  Want to try something different than the Tritanium. Any suggestions?

A lot of guys are using prospec chrome. Or original pro spec along with the tritanium. I like Berkeley XT as well it’s probably the toughest line I’ve used. I know what you mean about it being brittle. I’ve gotten bad spools so it’s wise to check the line out good

15lb Berkley Big Game is a good 20lb test line . It's thick for a 15lb line but it really tests out at 20lb which makes it a thin 20.

Posted (edited) · Report post

13 hours ago, Tagman said:

The 20lb mono is not being used to cast the heavy weight and bait.  Your 50lb shock leader is involved in the casting of the weight and bait.  If you attempt to throw 8oz with 17lb-20lb mono, you will get serious distance but wont have anything to reel back. 

I don't use anything fancy for my shock leader, I use rose colored 50lb Ande mono.  For mono I am using Tritanium and I've actually had great success with Offshore Angler Tightline mono.  But I plan on spooling up the Prospec Chrome for my September trip to Buxton. 

Don't forget to stretch out your mono after you spool your reel.  Not sure if anyone else does that but I always do.

Edited by animalbarrie

15 hours ago, connman said:

Heavy payload is conventional territory with mono. Only a masochist would relish 6-8 and bait on spinning. Can it be done sure and a few guys do it but go to any drum pier or Hatteras point and you will see everyone using mono on conventional. 

Mono flows better off a conventional , being slightly stiffer than braid it pushes itself off the spool , braid being limp backlashes with the slightest hiccup in line flow unless you add additional braking. The additional braking robs you of ultimate distance. Braid also beds into itself which produces that momentary stop and go which leads to backlashes. Which is why you often see guys cracking off first cast after a fish because the line has dug into itself on the spool  while fighting fish. This is when power casting and true distance . Lobbing  a bait 50-75 yards is easily done with braid or mono but you start pushing 8nbait 

100,125 150 yards then reel better be synced and this is best done with mono. The higher spool speeds don't tolerate any glitches in line flow or crack off city ....

A very interesting observation.  I'll give this a try.  Thank you. 

On 8/10/2019 at 11:18 PM, surffshr said:

I have had owned four CCP rods.  They are nice rods overall.   They throw the weight in the middle of the recomended range best and very well.    I have owned  two of  the 12 foot 3  to 7oz rods. They were fine rods.   I also own CTS rods which I like better because they don't have as much bend when loading the casting weight.   However, they are more expensive.    

I don't like the big cane butt cap that came on the CCP rods I owned.

Many people on  Outerbanks  North Carolina do use them and they are well liked.

They are talked about alot on a site where people like to fish from piers and the surf.

I own four akios reels and like them alot.   I have one 555 SCM,  two 656 SCM and  One 666 SCM.  I have no complaints at all about them.

Deftly done.  

On 8/12/2019 at 9:54 AM, Jim McFeeley said:

The problem is braid can’t handle the energy applied in a power cast. So could it go further yes in a scientific experiment with perfect conditions. Will it go further no way not on a conventional rod with a big lead. A true power cast is a lot different from most people’s fishing casts

Really?  If you're using a shock leader, the leader should take the load of the cast, not the running line. No?

I have no experience with genuine power casting, pendulum or otherwise. But ReelinRod, who posts now and then, uses a shock leader of 100 lb. braid to a swivel to a few feet of mono or fluoro, and he seems happy with that arrangement. 

Coming back to CCP for a moment ... the website doesn't offer a particular detail that matters a lot (to me, anyway), the distance from butt cap to reel seat. IMHO the best single reason to get a custom rod is to get exactly the right length, so you can load the rod nicely, and not cheat yourself of power with a butt-to-reel seat distance that doesn't allow you to load up as you like. I'll have to see if anyone distributes the rods near me so I can go and take a look. 

I've been very satisfied with the CPS rods. The 13 8-12 was my first build five years back and later added a 10 1-4 and 12'8 4-8.  

Brian, if you're looking for a light duty 8nbait rod for the fall at AI, the 12'8 is a great choice. It excels at 6nbait of any size, but performs equally as well for me with 8oz and a drum bait.  I'm not old but have developed minor neck and back issues, and the 12'8 is my go to for 8nbait fishing for anything short of large sharks.  

6 hours ago, steve maranto said:

I've been very satisfied with the CPS rods. The 13 8-12 was my first build five years back and later added a 10 1-4 and 12'8 4-8.  

Brian, if you're looking for a light duty 8nbait rod for the fall at AI, the 12'8 is a great choice. It excels at 6nbait of any size, but performs equally as well for me with 8oz and a drum bait.  I'm not old but have developed minor neck and back issues, and the 12'8 is my go to for 8nbait fishing for anything short of large sharks.  

Is that CCP or CTS?  

I see a new generation of CCP rods are due this fall. If I can find a chance to flex one - current or new - I'll do that.

I removed a bunch of off topic posts. Couple things - when a thread is clearly about a specific brand of anything the discussion should be about that brand. It doesn’t matter who introduces the topic of another brand, it is still off topic. 

Second, telling anyone other than a moderator that their posts are off topic IS also off topic. Awhile we appreciate the concern and help it’s best to report the post and let a forum leader or moderator or myself address the person :)

Thanks - let’s please let this get back on topic - thanks :th:

TimS