Huy

Carolina cast pro rods

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

15 mins ago, Tagman said:

Huy, The CCP rods are an excellent choice. I have the 13ft 6-10 paired with a Seigler SM.   Serious combo!

I just bought 2 12’ 3-7 for each of my sm. Hopefully it will be what I needed. 

1 hour ago, chris koltz said:

It is the accepted practice surf fishing in NC to have 10lb of leader weight for every ounce of lead 5 oz sinker 50lb leader the leader is called a wind on and you should have 5 to 7 wraps of it around your spool. The heavy leader holds up to being bounced around in the sand and surf and you can grab it to help control a large fish in the wash. The rod your buying is very powerful and can easily snap 20 lb line if your power casting for distance.

I have 50lb braid on them now. Wonder if I should drop in poundage or keep it. I plan to cast 4-6 oz. I don’t understand what u mean 5-7 wrap around my spool? Please clarify what that means. 

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

Most tournament casting associations still require monofilament.  I don't think any competitions are held that allow the use of braid. 

Brian , I was a tournament caster for 20 years and while I do use braid on some conventional reels for in close work , all my distance outfits conventional use mono. Mono outcasts braid on a conventional. Now spinning yes braid is the go to for all my needs and braid will outcast mono on spinning.

13 hours ago, Jim McFeeley said:

If this was true the distance guys would use braid but they all use mono. And not cause it’s cheap

I think what he meant was it will cast further with braid of the same pound test as mono, which in general, is accurate

The problem is braid can’t handle the energy applied in a power cast. So could it go further yes in a scientific experiment with perfect conditions. Will it go further no way not on a conventional rod with a big lead. A true power cast is a lot different from most people’s fishing casts

I was using a 11foot spinning version I purchased here in the BST as my go to surf plugging rod. It's caught a plenty  fluke, stripers, blues, albies, etc .

Most more experienced people that handled the rod were impressed, and couldn't believe it was virtually unknown.

On 8/10/2019 at 11:12 PM, Huy said:

I went with Matt from ReelKustomreel. Matt been doing this for 30 years. He build for professional caster who currently hold the record for casting. 

As far as the rod, Tommy Farmer is some sort of renown distance caster based in north carolina hence the name of the rod.

19 hours ago, Huy said:

I have 50lb braid on them now. Wonder if I should drop in poundage or keep it. I plan to cast 4-6 oz. I don’t understand what u mean 5-7 wrap around my spool? Please clarify what that means. 

They are referred to as wind on leaders in NC. 10 foot rod  would required at least 20 feet of 50 to 80 lb mono leader. That would allow you to get at least 5 wraps around your spool when your ready to cast. I like to use a 30 foot leader on my 12 ft rods. Checkout utube wind on leaders or OBX surf set ups.

Posted (edited) · Report post

23 hours ago, Huy said:

I am parting it with a seigler sm. I got Matt to custom the magnet on it. What would u do. Braid 30 or mono for distance casting? And what would be your shock leader and length?

Conventional set up - 17 - 20lb mono with a 50lb shock leader throwing 8oz is the way to go. 

Edited by animalbarrie

3 mins ago, animalbarrie said:

Conventional set up - 17 - 20lb mono with a 50lb shock leader throwing 8oz is the way to go. 

I mainly use it during the winter and spring for pompano and blue fish. For the blue fish I’m sure that don’t be a problem but for pompano do u think it might be heavy leader?

21 hours ago, connman said:

Brian , I was a tournament caster for 20 years and while I do use braid on some conventional reels for in close work , all my distance outfits conventional use mono. Mono outcasts braid on a conventional. Now spinning yes braid is the go to for all my needs and braid will outcast mono on spinning.

Ah ha!  That surprises me.  Then again, I'm easily surprised. Why does mono outperform braid on a conventional reel?  

So if you were looking to cast a sizable payload to max distance, would you look first to mono on a conventional or braid on a spinner?  I have red drum on my mind lately. I'd rather throw six or eight ounces on a conventional.  Your thoughts?

Heavy payload is conventional territory with mono. Only a masochist would relish 6-8 and bait on spinning. Can it be done sure and a few guys do it but go to any drum pier or Hatteras point and you will see everyone using mono on conventional. 

Mono flows better off a conventional , being slightly stiffer than braid it pushes itself off the spool , braid being limp backlashes with the slightest hiccup in line flow unless you add additional braking. The additional braking robs you of ultimate distance. Braid also beds into itself which produces that momentary stop and go which leads to backlashes. Which is why you often see guys cracking off first cast after a fish because the line has dug into itself on the spool  while fighting fish. This is when power casting and true distance . Lobbing  a bait 50-75 yards is easily done with braid or mono but you start pushing 8nbait 

100,125 150 yards then reel better be synced and this is best done with mono. The higher spool speeds don't tolerate any glitches in line flow or crack off city ....