Huy

Carolina cast pro rods

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Anyone here ever used their products? I got recommended these from a gent who customize magnets on conventional reels. He recommended them to me. They are universal rods meaning that are built for conventional/spinning. I looked up there product and the reviews look good. I’m looking towards the 12 foot 3-7 oz. 

Edited by Huy

I too am wondering about the rods....i have seen promos about them and looked at them a few times..he also sells reels (akios) that im interested in...im assuming your talking about the prm guy in england that uses high end magnets in his custom mods? have you had any work done by him...how did it work out? if you buy a rod please reply back to this topic to give a review...good luck...

dan

38 mins ago, dan_d said:

I too am wondering about the rods....i have seen promos about them and looked at them a few times..he also sells reels (akios) that im interested in...im assuming your talking about the prm guy in england that uses high end magnets in his custom mods? have you had any work done by him...how did it work out? if you buy a rod please reply back to this topic to give a review...good luck...

dan

I went with Matt from ReelKustomreel. Matt been doing this for 30 years. He build for professional caster who currently hold the record for casting. 

Edited by Huy

I have had owned four CCP rods.  They are nice rods overall.   They throw the weight in the middle of the recomended range best and very well.    I have owned  two of  the 12 foot 3  to 7oz rods. They were fine rods.   I also own CTS rods which I like better because they don't have as much bend when loading the casting weight.   However, they are more expensive.    

I don't like the big cane butt cap that came on the CCP rods I owned.

Many people on  Outerbanks  North Carolina do use them and they are well liked.

They are talked about alot on a site where people like to fish from piers and the surf.

I own four akios reels and like them alot.   I have one 555 SCM,  two 656 SCM and  One 666 SCM.  I have no complaints at all about them.

Edited by surffshr

Huy,

i have 3 ccp rods and like them a lot. Nice rods for the price. Just be sure if you order one that it is universal as they had some spinning and casting, later this fall the new generation 2 rods will be out and they all will be universal. The akios reels are really nice. I own several. The 666 scm w is nice and really shines with 20 or more pound test line. If you fish 17lb or less the 656 shuttle holds plenty of line. Either one of those reels casts really good, is very controllable. I would recommend you call Joe Moore in Avon,NC, he is a ccp distributer and the Akios man in America.

All of my rods are CCP.  i own 8ft-14ft.  I highly recommend them to anyone.  I have cast and fished other rods that are twice the cost and i still choose CCP due to their performance.  

1 hour ago, Ksjohnson said:

Huy,

i have 3 ccp rods and like them a lot. Nice rods for the price. Just be sure if you order one that it is universal as they had some spinning and casting, later this fall the new generation 2 rods will be out and they all will be universal. The akios reels are really nice. I own several. The 666 scm w is nice and really shines with 20 or more pound test line. If you fish 17lb or less the 656 shuttle holds plenty of line. Either one of those reels casts really good, is very controllable. I would recommend you call Joe Moore in Avon,NC, he is a ccp distributer and the Akios man in America.

I am parting it with a seigler sm. I got Matt to custom the magnet on it. What would u do. Braid 30 or mono for distance casting? And what would be your shock leader and length?

Huy,

i have never used braid on a conventional, so it would be mono for me. For distance casting, sakuma line is awesome. I would use 16lb Sakuma and a heavy enough shock leader for whatever weight you are throwing.

1 hour ago, Huy said:

I am parting it with a seigler sm. I got Matt to custom the magnet on it. What would u do. Braid 30 or mono for distance casting? And what would be your shock leader and length?

A reel of any kind spooled with braid will always reach a greater distance than one loaded with monofilament.  Monofilament is cheaper to replace when it is abraded, and some anglers prefer it for that reason. 

There are any number of ways to attach a shock leader to thin braid running line.  ReelinRod, who posts intermittently in the Distance Casting forum, adds 20-30 feet of 100+ lb. braid to his 20-30 lb. running line, ties off to a swivel, and adds a few feet of monofilament or fluorocarbon to that. This might be the easiest way to go, though it's not likely to conform to IGFA rules, if that's a concern. 

28 mins ago, Ksjohnson said:

Huy,

i have never used braid on a conventional, so it would be mono for me. For distance casting, sakuma line is awesome. I would use 16lb Sakuma and a heavy enough shock leader for whatever weight you are throwing.

I plan to use 4-6 oz. I’ll probably use 20-30 shock leader.

15 mins ago, Huy said:

I plan to use 4-6 oz. I’ll probably use 20-30 shock leader.

It is the accepted practice surf fishing in NC to have 10lb of leader weight for every ounce of lead 5 oz sinker 50lb leader the leader is called a wind on and you should have 5 to 7 wraps of it around your spool. The heavy leader holds up to being bounced around in the sand and surf and you can grab it to help control a large fish in the wash. The rod your buying is very powerful and can easily snap 20 lb line if your power casting for distance.

59 mins ago, BrianBM said:

A reel of any kind spooled with braid will always reach a greater distance than one loaded with monofilament.  Monofilament is cheaper to replace when it is abraded, and some anglers prefer it for that reason. 

There are any number of ways to attach a shock leader to thin braid running line.  ReelinRod, who posts intermittently in the Distance Casting forum, adds 20-30 feet of 100+ lb. braid to his 20-30 lb. running line, ties off to a swivel, and adds a few feet of monofilament or fluorocarbon to that. This might be the easiest way to go, though it's not likely to conform to IGFA rules, if that's a concern. 

If this was true the distance guys would use braid but they all use mono. And not cause it’s cheap

Most tournament casting associations still require monofilament.  I don't think any competitions are held that allow the use of braid. 

Huy, The CCP rods are an excellent choice. I have the 13ft 6-10 paired with a Seigler SM.   Serious combo!