What Rod/Reel cleaners does everyone use?

Rate this topic

JerseyMike609

25 mins ago, JerseyMike609 said:

I've tried a few different cleaners on my gear and am just interested to know what everyone els uses.

to totally clean the reels and hot water/dawn soap and the pot sprayer.

rods I use whatever have windex or even better rain-x window cleaner.

HH

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

9 mins ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

to totally clean the reels and hot water/dawn soap and the pot sprayer.

rods I use whatever have windex or even better rain-x window cleaner.

HH

Yep.  Same here (for reels).  I use hot water and Dawn dishwashing liquid on a break-down and clean.

Rods and exteriors of reels - I wipe down with a soft cloth on the blank / guides with just water.

Now, that's freshwater gear.

I've used Rubbing Alcohol to remove grime from grips, or deteriorated / sticky "soft touch coatings" on rods / reel handles.

Saltwater... I'm not quite sure.  I was getting ready to ask the same question.  I used a product called Salt-X a long time ago in a spray bottle, and then I'd just put my rods reels in the shower and spray them down with the removable shower head with warm water.  Wondering if there is a better way.

All the best,

Glenn

1I rarely use the hose unless there really covered in sand but I do spray with saltx and then wipe down with w.e rod/reel cleaner I have at that time.I try and buy something new when I run out hoping to find something "I really like". However I do like Cleansoil or something like that,I put it on my gear when I'm not planning on using it for a few weeks because it leaves a greasy film on them.

2 hours ago, cajuntec said:

Yep.  Same here (for reels).  I use hot water and Dawn dishwashing liquid on a break-down and clean.

Rods and exteriors of reels - I wipe down with a soft cloth on the blank / guides with just water.

Now, that's freshwater gear.

I've used Rubbing Alcohol to remove grime from grips, or deteriorated / sticky "soft touch coatings" on rods / reel handles.

Saltwater... I'm not quite sure.  I was getting ready to ask the same question.  I used a product called Salt-X a long time ago in a spray bottle, and then I'd just put my rods reels in the shower and spray them down with the removable shower head with warm water.  Wondering if there is a better way.

All the best,

Glenn

the dawn and hot water really cleans out everything,grease and dirt/salt.

when I do a full teardown it all soaks overnight in hot water/dawn,then it blasted with the sprayer on the sink and then dried then regreased.

on a normal cleaning I take my rig in the shower with me and it gets a good rinsing.

the rain-x window cleaner does a nice job on the rod too as it repels water.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

After each trip, I have a small tupperware container filled with a TurtleWax car soap and water to wipe down my rod/reel. I have also used Pledge. I just apply one of those two to a microfiber cloth and start wiping. I think that both leave a waxy residue (that's not visible or noticeable at all) which makes water bead right off. RainX is a very interesting idea what I haven't thought of and I just might look into that soon.