Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nofomofo

Hook2 5 Transducer Connection Issue

6 posts in this topic

Hook2 5 - My transducer cable plug backs part way out of the unit resulting in no sonar reading.  Anyone have ideas on how to keep the cable seated in the unit?  I've tried cleaning both the cable end and the screen end but can't get it to stay. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Take a q-tip with rubbing alcohol and clean out the inside of the hole really well.  Then use a towel and do the same to the outside of the cable end.  Let both dry.  Don't put anything on either.  Hook2 cabling uses a friction fit, so if there is any type of moisture or lubricant (including any type of grease or oil - even the oils from your hands), the air pressure will get trapped inside the hole, pushing the cable back out when you let it go.

All the best,

Glenn

Edited by cajuntec

Sounds like a crappy design. The old connection style with the twist lock plugs works fine. Another case of fixing something that isn't broken.

1 hour ago, blackdogfish said:

Sounds like a crappy design. The old connection style with the twist lock plugs works fine. Another case of fixing something that isn't broken.

You sir are correct, a crappy design for sure. I’ve had nothing but problems with this FF. 

3 hours ago, blackdogfish said:

Spot on.  I have last year’s Hook 5 model and love the twist lock style connectors.   Was a factor in choosing that model when replacing an older Humminbird with smaller non locking connectors that gave me some issues staying properly seated from time to time. 

It’s been less of an issue for me this year, but was a huge issue last year when I applied dielectric grease. This year, either connector may pop out a little in the first few minutes but I can usually get it to stay in after that. I agree, bad design.