Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Angler #1

Todays Cape Cod Times has

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Chunkah said:

I wish they'd confiscate offenders gear on the spot, really give them a sense of loss on the way home. 

If they take the vehicles too they will have even more time to think.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Back when I'd patrol the herring run, if I'd catch someone netting illegal herring, I'd write them a ticket. I'd often catch the same guys doing it all over again the next night. Some, even an hour after getting the ticket.

My boss at the time told me, to hell with them, ticket them,  and confiscated everything. Everything they used to net herring. Tag it, and they get it back when they pay the ticket.

So I did. I'd take their nets, buckets, live wells and even their waders if they were wearing any.  Word spread fast.  Violations on a Fri, night, Sat or Sunday couldn't get paid until Monday.  That means no gear. Compliance increased.

Edited by bob_G

Need to get to a place where the price paid is a real deterrent when you get caught. Don’t think a ticket and rod confiscation is enough of a deterrent to stop most poachers.

Posted (edited) · Report post

There was a seafood dealer on Long Island (Bruce Larson, Jones Inlet Fish Packing, Point Lookout. Not that I'd mention names) who was caught and penalized every year, multiple times for buying and selling illegal fish of all kinds, including striped bass. In fact, hundreds of poachers made the place their "go to place" when all of their restaurants they sold to were "full". 

What Bruce told me about the fines: "just the cost of doing business, like another business expense". He was able to write off the fines as well!

What I got out of that is "crime pays"! I am pretty sure that he was 99% "left alone" by the authorities for very much the same reasons the state of Massachusetts seems to hang onto the philosophy of killing and selling every striper it can. They like "commerce"; legal, ethical or otherwise.

Edited by jason colby

On 8/10/2019 at 7:05 AM, Angler #1 said:

the article on the big bust last Sunday that caught 14 poachers and fines of up to $8000. It announced that both recreational and commercial fishermen were involved . One officer Lt Bass explains the difficulty in keeping ahead of the poaching that has been part of this for ever decrease in the Striped Bass population and it is mentioned that the lack of education needs to be addressed along with the lack of man power in order to answer all of the daily calls that are being placed by concerned fishermen who are being diligent in reporting these poachers of our resource. Nothing in the written article has not been discussed here in detail over these past number of years . They are from what I read are changing some of the thinking on at least how to utilize the small numbers of available officers to make a bigger impact. Kudos to Lt Bass and his team for this work of late that hopefully will get the message out to all poachers .  

The lieutenant's name was Bass? Lol! That's hilarious. Sounds like the right person for the job! :th:

Can somebody ask if lieutenant Bass can see color? I've always wanted to know. :clown: