Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Angler #1

Todays Cape Cod Times has

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

the article on the big bust last Sunday that caught 14 poachers and fines of up to $8000. It announced that both recreational and commercial fishermen were involved . One officer Lt Bass explains the difficulty in keeping ahead of the poaching that has been part of this for ever decrease in the Striped Bass population and it is mentioned that the lack of education needs to be addressed along with the lack of man power in order to answer all of the daily calls that are being placed by concerned fishermen who are being diligent in reporting these poachers of our resource. Nothing in the written article has not been discussed here in detail over these past number of years . They are from what I read are changing some of the thinking on at least how to utilize the small numbers of available officers to make a bigger impact. Kudos to Lt Bass and his team for this work of late that hopefully will get the message out to all poachers .  

I recently overheard an EP talking about that bust while I was at the Canal. From the conversation it sounded like he was a local and well aware of all that goes on at the Canal. I have noticed an increase in law enforcement along the canal. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

That's good news Malsow. 

If he's a local fisherman as well, he'll want to take out more trash. 

Edited by Fishbucket

Why doesn’t the environmental police send some of the officers from the other parts of the state to help out at the canal for a few  weeks. There can’t be anywhere else in the state with more environmental crime happening than the canal. 

Something that keeps me scratching my head.  There were times when the canal may have had 500-600 or more  people fishing every morning.  Can anyone name another place in the Commonwealth that would warrant more attention? 

1 min ago, Malsow said:

I heard a few weeks ago at MMA a local guy turned addict was caught fishing. Took his gear plus 600 fine.

They took his gear and fined him because he was an addict? There's got to be more to this.

10 mins ago, bob_G said:

They took his gear and fined him because he was an addict? There's got to be more to this.

Ha! Meant to say poaching!

Was there really 600 guys fishing this place at one time?

That's crazy.  No wonder why I never wanted to fish this place.  I like my space and solitude.

Tony Stetzko back in the day said he never fished the canal and that was good enough for me to never try it..  I never did ask him why??

13 mins ago, 27conch said:

Tony Stetzko back in the day said he never fished the canal and that was good enough for me to never try it..  I never did ask him why??

By now, it's become obvious. :p

23 mins ago, 27conch said:

Was there really 600 guys fishing this place at one time?

That's crazy.  No wonder why I never wanted to fish this place.  I like my space and solitude.

One of the big regrets of my life.  Tony and I emailed each other a lot.  We agreed to take each other fishing. I'd show him the canal, and he'd take me out on the beach. Sadly it was never meant to be.