davedodge

Albies?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I was out along soco three days this past week and didn’t see any.   Via boat.   Only saw one pod of bonito.    Still early but tons of bait around.   

The bonito showed up early so that only means Albies will be showing up sooner than expected too! 

We just have to hope no big storms come through, usually that is what will push them out. 

I intended to launch the 'yak at PJ before first light this morning but the soupy fog was prohibitive. Plan B was to work my way westward and hit a beach or outflow or two. First beach I came to had some tiny bait right in the wash that was being pushed by something that was not showing/breaking. This can sometimes be bones, but it can also be sand dabs, effete cocktail blues or small schoolies that just don't want to put in the effort. Finally got a strike on a small Hopkins that turned out to be a 2 lb. blue. So I had that answer. But just about then something else started popping in an odd compact splash about 100 yards out. Here. Then waaay over there. Two minutes later back here. Maybe 15 minutes of this, but just ONE splash every minute or so, and no real momentum. A few terns cast an eye but never wheeled in for a feed. And then suddenly it was over.

Bones? Albert? Chub mackerel? Something else? Dunno. It seemed funny-ish but not in a familiar way.

1 hour ago, thermoklein said:

I intended to launch the 'yak at PJ before first light this morning but the soupy fog was prohibitive. Plan B was to work my way westward and hit a beach or outflow or two. First beach I came to had some tiny bait right in the wash that was being pushed by something that was not showing/breaking. This can sometimes be bones, but it can also be sand dabs, effete cocktail blues or small schoolies that just don't want to put in the effort. Finally got a strike on a small Hopkins that turned out to be a 2 lb. blue. So I had that answer. But just about then something else started popping in an odd compact splash about 100 yards out. Here. Then waaay over there. Two minutes later back here. Maybe 15 minutes of this, but just ONE splash every minute or so, and no real momentum. A few terns cast an eye but never wheeled in for a feed. And then suddenly it was over.

Bones? Albert? Chub mackerel? Something else? Dunno. It seemed funny-ish but not in a familiar way.

Bones

I just missed an Albie run close to shore yesterday AM, saw some yakers right on them just out of casting range.  Guy next to me got one earlier, when I was fishing a dead spot a mile away. I felt like Charlie Brown this weekend.

All hail Fish Crack!  The corn is high and the bait hath been spew'd from the salt ponds!   All hail Fish Crack!   :hi5:

5d5db3bc41aad_falsealbacorebikini.jpg.e9e3c7308e97900224084339b4b74da4.jpg