Vieteiro

Bluefish attacks woman in The Mediterranean Spanish coast

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Never read anything like it about blues. How is that possible? Anyone knows anything like it?

Not sure about the  link rules here, so 

ill drop the pix.

Best 

Viete

0D3360EB-3CA6-4A34-B5AE-ABF80B917E06.jpeg

It’s a rare occurrence but I’ve heard of people getting nipped by bluefish prior to this incident. I think you have a much greater chance of being bitten by a shark than by a bluefish. Particularly if you’re in cape cod.

I had heard stories about downed fliers being attacked by blues off North Africa during WWII.  Don't know how true but it was related to me by a career sergeant I knew in the Air Force back in the 60's.  He was a WWII vet.

They were attacking bathers in the sound a bunch of years ago. 

Always a bad apple in the bunch.

Breath easy we killed most of them.

Few more pictures with some info from the locals overseas, it was a fish over 5 kilos, the news said they got the fish, but most likely it was other fish according to my sources.
Lurking  around, I found reports from last year in Benidorm one more attack to a kid and also back in 2006 a little girl was badly wounded in the right arm, with injuries over the hand , wrist and forearm.
Here it’s the actual women’s feet picture, impressive  jaw size mark.

9C1FB719-7FDE-44FD-B153-CD29ADDFF96D.jpeg

29 mins ago, the3fishheads said:

They were attacking bathers in the sound a bunch of years ago. 

This.... it happens from time to time.

Murky water, the flash of a hand or a foot mistaken for a fleeing fish, sometimes maybe the flash of jewelry,  or fish chasing bait making a mistake at close quarters.  Tends to happen in the surf zone where visibility is often poor,.

Basically, all of the same reasons that keep blacktips nipping surfers and swimmers in the Daytona Beach area every year.

There were a number of bluefish-bitten bathers in SE Florida many years ago, for exactly that reason.

I remember years ago at Hammonassett State Beach in CT a school of bluefish came through chasing a school of bunker and several people were bitten, a few requiring stitches. 

We were swimming in Milford years ago. My buddy screamed in pain and fear. Thought a shark bit him. We were just kids. Something nearly but off his pinky toe. We never figured out for sure what it was, but we assumed bluefish since all the fishermen on the beach were catching them. 

Not unusual at all.

I've actually had to tell parents to get their little kids out of the water during bluefish blitzes at the beach.

They look at you kinda funny till you show them half a bunker and the teeth on the 15lber you just put on the sand.

They're gonna have a ball with this in the Tavern!   

That being said I do feel bad for her and it is unfortunate!

On 8/9/2019 at 4:15 PM, valentine said:

I think you have a much greater chance of being bitten by a shark than by a bluefish.

As a kid on the Jersey shore I was told the exact opposite by my uncle and his friends.

"most shark attacks are actually bluefish".

No clue what their basis was, I was a kid.