Hot Tub dilemma?

Rate this topic

Shag

I have a hot tub that’s built two sides into the our deck. It’s developed a constant leak and when I pulled the access panels off, I discovered a few things. First the bottom framing is rotted out along the pad, second the tub has dropped somewhat so that the push valves to the pumps are jammed against the pad. The leak is somewhere under the middle of the tub. Reality check for me is: 1. I’m not buying another hot tub. 2. It cost me $100 a month in electric. 3. Rarely used anymore. 

4. Put about $1800 into new pumps about 2 years ago. 

What to do? How hard is it reframing this thing, and is it worth doing? Or just get rid of it?

image.jpg

"Ban Pre-shredded Cheese, Make America Grate Again"

Pete, a sawzall will make quick work of it. I've done a bunch. Cut it into small-ish easily move-able pieces. First, disconnect the power supply, then cut the main water supply as low as possible so any water left in the pipes will drain out. After that, it's mostly fiberglass and foam, with a little wood framing. The piping can be a PIA to cut once it's loose and rattling around. Resist the urge to use a long blade in the sawzall unless/until you actually need one.