LIsurf631

Epic trip to the CCC

Rate this topic

500 posts in this topic

14 mins ago, levari said:

I am wondering what’s the motivation to get young people involved?

Why do we care if the young people are getting involved or not? Actually the less people involved the better for the fishery and those who are already involved. If a youngster wish to get involved it’s perfectly fine but why should you feed him or her with a silver spoon?

I'm simply making an observation.

I'll just say this about a "silver spoon".  I'm sure some days fishing from a boat with a knowledgeable skipper it can be easy.  But if you fish from shore.  Assemble your own rig.  Make a nice cast and land a fish.  Is that being spoon fed?  Even if you learned that much from the internet?  How often does that happen the first time?  I suspect that even with internet knowledge, going to hot spots, using the highest tech gear, most people won't be successful off the bat.

Edited by Steve_in_PA

59 mins ago, levari said:

Why do we care if the young people are getting involved or not? Actually the less people involved the better for the fishery and those who are already involved. If a youngster wish to get involved it’s perfectly fine but why should you feed him or her with a silver spoon?

I see your point but I can think of two reasons. One, if you're in the tackle or guiding business (not me). Two, so we have more political clout when it comes to environmental issues. 

6 hours ago, Steve_in_PA said:

There is an argument that people should put in their dues.  It should be harder for newbies.  Especially youngsters.  Gee, we need more people in the hobby/sport if we want it to continue.  How can we get more young people involved?  We should make information more available to attract them.  Boy, it's too easy today.  People should have to earn the craft.  And on it goes.

It's not about paying your dues just for the sake of paying your dues - like it's some mean spirited initiation or something.  Paying your dues is about putting in the time & work so, in the long run, you become a better fisherman.  The goal here (at least for me) is to be able to be successful without any outside help.  That is to say, if all of your sources of information were to go away, you could still catch fish on a consistent basis.  To be clear, I'm not saying that one shouldn't use the internet (or any other format) as a tool to gain knowledge.  What I'm saying is that there is no substitute for experience & time spent on the water.  There are no shortcuts.

2 hours ago, levari said:

Do you have kids?  If yes did you teach them to fish?  It’s a lot easier to teach young kids how to respect the environment and about conservation than adults.  Maybe the young people can actually make a difference unlike the current group of adult fishermen. 

34 mins ago, vinnyb said:

It's not about paying your dues just for the sake of paying your dues - like it's some mean spirited initiation or something.  Paying your dues is about putting in the time & work so, in the long run, you become a better fisherman.  The goal here (at least for me) is to be able to be successful without any outside help.  That is to say, if all of your sources of information were to go away, you could still catch fish on a consistent basis.  To be clear, I'm not saying that one shouldn't use the internet (or any other format) as a tool to gain knowledge.  What I'm saying is that there is no substitute for experience & time spent on the water.  There are no shortcuts.

I agree with everything but the shortcuts statement. There are short cuts. The internet has flattened out the learning curve. The amount of info that’s readily available is incredible. 

Im 50. I grew up fishing in the late 70s and thru the 80s. Catching a striped bass for a good number of those years was an accomplishment in itself. Catching multiple 30-40lb fish in the day, like you can now (or could during the 00s in NJ) is almost unthinkable to me growing up and starting my career when I did. Because fish were rare and hard to come by I think many had a greater respect for the resource than they do now. Now, it’s just too damn easy to catch big fish. It’s almost expected and it leads too many people to take the fish for granted. When you have to earn something, the respect comes with it. When it’s easy there’s no respect. Combine that with the ‘me’ attitude of the younger people today and you get the problems that we currently have. 

Pretty much Anyone under 40 has  only seen an abundance of bass that people just a bit older view far differently. The younger anglers take the fish for granted. The older ones know what ****** fishing looks like. 

54 mins ago, z-man said:

Do you have kids?  If yes did you teach them to fish?  It’s a lot easier to teach young kids how to respect the environment and about conservation than adults.  Maybe the young people can actually make a difference unlike the current group of adult fishermen. 

I don't have young kids anymore and I agree with you. It's my role and responsibility to teach them how to fish but the respectful poster was talking about all youngsters not limited to my family or friends. He was talking about providing more information on the internet to attract youngsters to fish and get more people involved in fishing. 

I think the internet is partially responsible to the state of the stripe bass fishery.

55 mins ago, Drew C. said:

I agree with everything but the shortcuts statement. There are short cuts. The internet has flattened out the learning curve. The amount of info that’s readily available is incredible. 

By shortcuts I mean that you need to put time in to become a well-rounded, capable fisherman.  Yes - there are ways to flatten the learning curve for sure, but experience will keep you on fish when you're alone and plans A&B don't pan out.  The fact that someone can watch a few youtube videos, show up at the CCC & catch a 40 is great but doesn't mean he/she is a good fisherman.

1 min ago, vinnyb said:

By shortcuts I mean that you need to put time in to become a well-rounded, capable fisherman.  Yes - there are ways to flatten the learning curve for sure, but experience will keep you on fish when you're alone and plans A&B don't pan out.  The fact that someone can watch a few youtube videos, show up at the CCC & catch a 40 is great but doesn't mean he/she is a good fisherman.

No it doesn’t but I’m their mind they probably think that they’re fricken Roland Martin.

They think they’re more skilled than they really are. But put them on a strange beach at night and they’re lost and wouldn’t catch a cold. 

When this thing crashes, and it will crash, they’ll be the first ones to leave. You won’t see them again. GRS’s will go for $30 on bst, there will be cheap vs’s every where. And the guys that actually know how to fish will put their time in and still catch a few. 

22 hours ago, crazybellringer said:

Old guys suck they think they are hot **** because they caught fish when they were everywhere. When you didn't  have to drive to another state. Fishing was easy and the crusty old ignorant dudes ruined the fishery.   

:rav:

from the crusty old guy :laugh:

1 hour ago, Drew C. said:

Because fish were rare and hard to come by I think many had a greater respect for the resource than they do now. Now, it’s just too damn easy to catch big fish. It’s almost expected and it leads too many people to take the fish for granted. When you have to earn something, the respect comes with it. When it’s easy there’s no respect.

Agreed.  After the moratorium when we were fishing at 1@36", it seemed everyone was much more respectful of the resource.  Over time that has gone away & now bass are seen as just another fish to be killed.  Unfortunately, the lack of respect extends to the older generations like us too - not just the young 'uns.

2 mins ago, vinnyb said:

Agreed.  After the moratorium when we were fishing at 1@36", it seemed everyone was much more respectful of the resource.  Over time that has gone away & now bass are seen as just another fish to be killed.  Unfortunately, the lack of respect extends to the older generations like us too - not just the young 'uns.

A lot of those older guys were selling back then. They had blood on their hands with that crash. After, many changed and were better going forward. Certainly not all tho. 

It doesn’t matter the age. The people with no respect for the fisheries or the environment are now out there in massive amounts. Before the internet I would say we had a limited amount of these bad actors. Less not zero. A lot of that was because most info was passed down within families and among friends. That breeds good stewards for the fishery. Now along with the good people who you would want out there you also have every a hole within hundreds of miles. You doubters getting it yet........

Edited by Tailslap

On 8/27/2019 at 0:42 PM, HugeDinghy said:

good bite this morning mid canal!

Pole# man!  :fire:        I need a Pole# !!!!