LIsurf631

Epic trip to the CCC

Rate this topic

500 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, Southcoastphil said:

OK, I'll play...

":you're"

Speaking as someone at the top of the forum pyramid I will give you some advice to help you climb higher. Add a little content with your grammar/spelling policing and other members will have a more positive outlook on your post. 

18 hours ago, rbart said:

You don’t know what you’re talking about or who you’re talking to, and you couldn’t be more wrong about being shown all the “secrets.” That’s far from the case.  Even those of us who were lucky enough to have mentors were never taught everything and nothing was hand fed. Most things you need to learn on your own and you need to put in your time.  Secrecy was always a part of surfcasting, even amongst friends.  

Let me guess he picked up a rod and walked on water right out of the womb. No one told him nothing 

Never read a fishing magazine

Never read the local fishing reports or listened to them on the radio

Never went in a bait shop and talked fishing or listen to the old timers talk.

Never seen someone catch a fish and later fished the same rock. I could go on for hours about how one acquires fishing knowledge. Some people obtain knowledge via computer so what. Get over it.

23 mins ago, chris koltz said:

Let me guess he picked up a rod and walked on water right out of the womb. No one told him nothing 

Never read a fishing magazine

Never read the local fishing reports or listened to them on the radio

Never went in a bait shop and talked fishing or listen to the old timers talk.

Never seen someone catch a fish and later fished the same rock. I could go on for hours about how one acquires fishing knowledge. Some people obtain knowledge via computer so what. Get over it.

I guess your still learning by the internet. Why you always telling people’s to get over it.  What he’s is saying is just reality. Most young guys suck and feel entitled because they earned nothing and everything was just gifted to them. So get over it. 

Edited by hydraman

4 mins ago, hydraman said:

I guess your still learning by the internet. Why you always telling people’s to get over it.  What he’s is saying is just reality. Most young guys suck and feel entitled because they earned nothing and everything was just gifted to them. So get over it. 

Old guys suck they think they are hot **** because they caught fish when they were everywhere. When you didn't  have to drive to another state. Fishing was easy and the crusty old ignorant dudes ruined the fishery.   

:rav:

Edited by crazybellringer

6 mins ago, hydraman said:

I'M 59 years old and have over 40 years in the fishing business. I have helped introduce and educate fishermen for over 30 years. That was way before the internet. Many retired people take up fishing and many kids that don't have someone to teach them. We need all the fishermen we can get to be politically relevant. The internet is not the only problem. These issue's have been present as long as I can remember just not on the computer. 

49 mins ago, chris koltz said:

Some people obtain knowledge via computer so what.

Nothing wrong with obtaining knowledge via computer - it's the reason this site exists :wave:.  But too much information is no good also and that's why, for example, you're not allowed to post specific locations on this site.  The hardest part of this game is finding the fish but it's also the most rewarding.  That's why it surprises me how many people are willing to seek out, accept & act on this information.  Personally, if someone tells me there are fish at a spot (this never happens BTW ;-), I will intentionally avoid it.  For me, the fun is in finding my own fish & being the only person on them :) 

*Just read your last post after writing this.  Having been at this game for awhile, I'm sure you agree with what I'm getting at here.

Edited by vinnyb

1 hour ago, crazybellringer said:

Old guys suck they think they are hot **** because they caught fish when they were everywhere. When you didn't  have to drive to another state. Fishing was easy and the crusty old ignorant dudes ruined the fishery.   

:rav:

Im a young guy, so i wasnt around for it, but pretty sure the old guys fished at a time (late 70s and 80s) when the population was at its all time low. 

Also if you have to drive to another state youre doing it wrong.

Would anyone give information about fishing to a known poacher?

Would anyone give information to someone that they knew had no respect for the environment?

Would anyone give information to someone they knew had horrible etiquette?

I would think the answer is no.  

So every time someone puts up a fishing report/location online they are unknowingly giving all this info to the same people they say they wouldn’t share it with. It’s not on purpose that the info gets into the wrong hands but it still does. 

People have always shared info. But a lot of the people getting the info were vetted first. Make sure they are good sportsmen  first. Then maybe share. Even if they pass the sportsmen test some spots don’t have much parking so you still stay quiet. It is the way it used to be done and for good reason. This is not rocket science. It’s common sense. 

Edited by Tailslap

13 hours ago, chris koltz said:

fI'M 59 years old and have over 40 years in the fishing business. I have helped introduce and educate fishermen for over 30 years. That was way before the internet. Many retired people take up fishing and many kids that don't have someone to teach them. We need all the fishermen we can get to be politically relevant. The internet is not the only problem. These issue's have been present as long as I can remember just not on the computer. 

I see the same pattern in many hobbies I'm involved in.  Be it fishing, hunting, amateur radio, etc.  The old timers (I'm an old timer myself in some of my chosen hobbies.) complain how easy information is today.  There is an argument that people should put in their dues.  It should be harder for newbies.  Especially youngsters.  Gee, we need more people in the hobby/sport if we want it to continue.  How can we get more young people involved?  We should make information more available to attract them.  Boy, it's too easy today.  People should have to earn the craft.  And on it goes.

Edited by Steve_in_PA

4 hours ago, Steve_in_PA said:

I see the same pattern in many hobbies I'm involved in.  Be it fishing, hunting, amateur radio, etc.  The old timers (I'm an old timer myself in some of my chosen hobbies.) complain how easy information is today.  There is an argument that people should put in their dues.  It should be harder for newbies.  Especially youngsters.  Gee, we need more people in the hobby/sport if we want it to continue.  How can we get more young people involved?  We should make information more available to attract them.  Boy, it's too easy today.  People should have to earn the craft.  And on it goes.

I am wondering what’s the motivation to get young people involved?

Why do we care if the young people are getting involved or not? Actually the less people involved the better for the fishery and those who are already involved. If a youngster wish to get involved it’s perfectly fine but why should you feed him or her with a silver spoon?