LIsurf631

Epic trip to the CCC

Rate this topic

500 posts in this topic

On 8/22/2019 at 2:13 PM, Tailslap said:

It took real work. Long hours with plenty of failures. 

Still required, unless you fish the canal apparently.

33 mins ago, nateD said:

Still required, unless you fish the canal apparently.

Much easier since the internet. Who do you think your fooling.  

2 hours ago, Tailslap said:

Much easier since the internet. Who do you think your fooling.  

Nah, can’t catch what isn’t there even with the internet.

Edited by nateD

On 8/23/2019 at 0:47 AM, 55555s said:

And jealousy & envy.  

And just what exactly do you think he’s jealous & envious of? I hear/see this assumption a lot & I don’t get it. 

Vinny-

I think there are people who complain about how easy new guys have it now and that they themselves back in the day had to put in the time effort hours work etc etc to catch decent fish.   They may not come out and say it or even recognize it themselves, but in some cases I think they resent it and that can be borne of jealousy.  

If someone is complaining about wanton waste, poaching, bag limits, numbers kept, etc then that is a function of being conservation minded and caring about the resource.  If they are complaining that guys are catching lots of fish, then it may just be more about envy.

On 8/22/2019 at 9:47 PM, chris koltz said:

If you have been fishing your whole life that would mean someone took you fishing showed you what to do, when to do and how to do. Turned you on to all of there spots and gave you all there knowledge and connections and taught you how to fish. Lucky you a lot of people where or are not that fortunate and have found other ways to learn the same things you were taught. Get over it   

You don’t know what you’re talking about or who you’re talking to, and you couldn’t be more wrong about being shown all the “secrets.” That’s far from the case.  Even those of us who were lucky enough to have mentors were never taught everything and nothing was hand fed. Most things you need to learn on your own and you need to put in your time.  Secrecy was always a part of surfcasting, even amongst friends.  

Edited by rbart

45 mins ago, 55555s said:

Vinny-

I think there are people who complain about how easy new guys have it now and that they themselves back in the day had to put in the time effort hours work etc etc to catch decent fish.   They may not come out and say it or even recognize it themselves, but in some cases I think they resent it and that can be borne of jealousy.  

If someone is complaining about wanton waste, poaching, bag limits, numbers kept, etc then that is a function of being conservation minded and caring about the resource.  If they are complaining that guys are catching lots of fish, then it may just be more about envy.

Again, you couldn’t be more wrong about Tailslap. He’s put as many fish on the rocks as anyone here, if not more. His posts have nothing to do with envy. That would imply he doesn’t catch. He’s simply disgusted with what the internet and social media has done to the current state of the fisheries, access, etc. He’s not alone...

2 mins ago, rbart said:

Again, you couldn’t be more wrong about Tailslap. He’s put as many fish on the rocks as anyone here, if not more. His posts have nothing to do with envy. That would imply he doesn’t catch. He’s simply disgusted with what the internet and social media has done to the current state of the fisheries, access, etc. He’s not alone...

I dont recall mentioning that name in my post.  Perhaps I misread it?  

As to the bold portion, its not correct.  One doesnt imply the other.

As for the last portion, many are disgusted.  There are myriad problems, many of which discussed in this thread.

I'd strongly encourage people to call out poachers via video, pictures, a comment, and a call to LEO.   Failing to act is tacit approval and facilitates the poor behavior. 

2 hours ago, 55555s said:

Vinny-

I think there are people who complain about how easy new guys have it now and that they themselves back in the day had to put in the time effort hours work etc etc to catch decent fish.   They may not come out and say it or even recognize it themselves, but in some cases I think they resent it and that can be borne of jealousy  

Maybe they resent it, but it’s not borne of jealousy. It’s borne of a  belief that the internet, cell phones, etc. have transformed the sport - and not necessarily in a good way. Jealousy implies that they wish they had these “tools” at their disposal back in the day, which couldn’t be further from the truth. Personally I miss the days when a bite could be kept a secret. If you were willing to put the time in, you reaped the rewards. If not, you missed out - there was no cell phone call to help you out. 

9 hours ago, vinnyb said:

Maybe they resent it, but it’s not borne of jealousy. It’s borne of a  belief that the internet, cell phones, etc. have transformed the sport - and not necessarily in a good way. Jealousy implies that they wish they had these “tools” at their disposal back in the day, which couldn’t be further from the truth. Personally I miss the days when a bite could be kept a secret. If you were willing to put the time in, you reaped the rewards. If not, you missed out - there was no cell phone call to help you out. 

Yes because it also made you want to be out on the water more to learn.  Tides and technic you needed to learn a specific spot. It’s made people lazy.  Man I miss being on a bite for a week or  two  before anyone showed up.