AbbyDaddy

Conventional or low profile baitcaster for Tog?

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

57 mins ago, AbbyDaddy said:

Thanks all for your inputs. I was going to pull the trigger on the Avet SXJ G2, but then saw Seigler SGN w/ 10% off w/ lifetime warranty and ordered one for $225. Going to pair with a Tsunami slow pitch 7'XH. Can't wait to get it! 

Hopefully, the lever drag doesn't become an issue. But it seems like a reel with very easy maintenance. 

That’s too nice of a reel to put on a cheapo rod. 

But the real question is why buy a slow pitch rod when you are not slow pitch fishing?  Those noodlely rods are the wrong application for fluking and togging. 

Just now, Cpalms said:

That’s too nice of a reel to put on a cheapo rod. 

But the real question is why buy a slow pitch rod when you are not slow pitch fishing?  Those noodlely rods are the wrong application for fluking and togging. 

IMHO, these slow pitch rods are really far from noodly, very lightweight with good action. noodly is more like ugly sticks. I am not using this for fluking as I prefer lighter setups for bucktailing/jigheads. 

Do you have rod recommendations? I've been looking for a rod but I have trouble paying so much for a rod when the slow pitch rod gets me 80% there with the weight and strength of the rod at 1/3 of the price of the higher end rods. 

I wasn't even considering this reel as i was thinking more of a $150 range for the reel, but somehow I ended up with a reel $75 higher than I wanted to (more like fathom 12 @ $150 + tax ~ $160 or lexa 300hd @ $170-180), but the fathom at 15oz seemed heavy. then I considered the avet sxj then saw the SGN at a little bit more. So I justified it with the lifetime warranty :)

I would use this mainly for tog and sea bass with bait bottom fishing, and wouldn't be a setup I would use for fluke. I was even skeptical of the slimwave at first but I was sold after seeing Jigging Jerkz videos. And after using it on multiple trips, these are far from the noodly rods that slow pitch rods I thought to be. 

Abbydaddy,

Don’t regret spending more money now in the higher bracket of what you think you can afford. Instead, think of it as investing and not buying cheap only to wanting/needing an upgrade shortly after your original purchase where saving a little bit mattered more.  That is where you will feel regret and come up spending even more in the end. Fishing is an addiction and a positive one of the many vices available.  Don’t regret spending on a quality piece. Just enjoy the beautiful object you purchased. 

Late to the party and will comment for people searching this up in the future. Two things in general -- level winds have no business being used in togging and lever drags have no business being used for bottom fishing. 

Lexa and Tranx reels are changing the first assertion. They are showing toughness but I'm not convinced yet. Let me see someone handling a 15+ lb tog on one and maybe I'll believe. The problem is dropping down and having the line on the spool coming off at an angle relative to the levelwind. This creates stress under drag load. I lost a megatoglodon because it torqued a Tekota 500, popped out a crossbar holding the levelwind jamming the spool so it locked up and wouldn't spin with the drag. (Search megatoglodon for the story here). I believe this was because after dropping down the line coming off the spool was not aligned with the levelwind. So beware. Levelwind is fine for average tog but may cost you the fish of a lifetime.

Lever drags are not meant for bottom fishing. Use them for jigging. Releasing and resetting a lever drag every time you drop down or adjust scope is a pain in the ass. Use a star drag reel with a toggle release to freespool.

Lastly, for togging a spool lock is very useful. It protects the reel when you have to break out of a snag while using heavy braid and 50lb leader.

Edited by Mike
Effing spellchecker

To switch a lever drag from 0-strike, and back again, takes little to no more time than engaging a star drag. They absolutely aren’t necessary for bottom fishing, but they’re still popular for bottom fishing.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Late to the party and will comment for people searching this up in the future. Two things in general -- level winds have no business being used in togging and lever drags have no business being used for bottom fishing. 

Lexa and Tranx reels are changing the first assertion. They are showing toughness but I'm not convinced yet. Let me see someone handling a 15+ lb tog on one and maybe I'll believe. The problem is dropping down and having the line on the spool coming off at an angle relative to the levelwind. This creates stress under drag load. I lost a megatoglodon because it torqued a Tekota 500, popped out a crossbar holding the levelwind jamming the spool so it locked up and wouldn't spin with the drag. (Search megatoglodon for the story here). I believe this was because after dropping down the line coming off the spool was not aligned with the levelwind. So beware. Levelwind is fine for average tog but may cost you the fish of a lifetime.

Lever drags are not meant for bottom fishing. Use them for jigging. Releasing and resetting a lever drag every time you drop down or adjust scope is a pain in the ass. Use a star drag reel with a toggle release to freespool.

Lastly, for togging a spool lock is very useful. It protects the reel when you have to break out of a snag while using heavy braid and 50lb leader.

There is nothing wrong with levelwinds as long is you choose the right one and spool it properly. Nondisengaging levelwinds take the load off the levelwind while fighting fish.

I have caught fish that would put a 15lb anything, tog included, to shame on my Komodo 471SS's while using nearly every pound of its 30lbsmax drag. I would never use a Lexa 400HD, much less a Tranx 400, the way I have used my Komodos (which is why I got rid of those reels).

Pick your levelwind baitcaster right and it will accomplish anything.

Having a thumb bar is a huge advantage when bottom fishing.

Also, there is very little differance in the effort it takes to move a lever on a lever drag or flip the spool engagement lever on a conventional.

Hey Abby,

I have an SGN and love it, I have it on a black hole charter special MH rated 3-8oz and 20-40lb braid. Rod is a good quality rod w/o breaking the bank. Whats funny is I originally had it on a tsunami slow pitch XH as well, while the tsunami worked well the Black Hole has a much better feel. I used the set up for blackfish and even heavy bottom fishing and couldn't be happier.

7 hours ago, Mike said:

Cranky, opinionated ... I like it.  I mostly agree. The lever drag fashion isn't actually all that functional.  I'd like a lever when trolling for tuna or billfish, but I'm mildly skeptical otherwise. The ability to shift gears and change gear ratio is more important than the lever itself, IMHO, and how often do you need to do that for anything other than tuna, billfish and shark?

7 hours ago, Mike said:

Lexa and Tranx reels are changing the first assertion. They are showing toughness but I'm not convinced yet. Let me see someone handling a 15+ lb tog on one and maybe I'll believe.

Lexa's and Tranx (and Komodo) have been used and abused on far tougher fish than a 15lb tog.  Plenty of videos on youtube prove that.  Mine have been bulletproof.

But I do agree lever drags bottom fishing are a pain in ass.  Don't bring a wrench when you need a hammer.

Anybody ever had a Tranx failure on here?

5 hours ago, Mike said:

Any experience with the smaller Komodo ss reels? 471 seems like overkill.

I used the original Komodo 364P on flatheads in FW fishing 8oz lead and live baits to 15in. I never used it in SW though, but the 364s have a big following on the West Coast for sea bass. The 364 is just a smaller version of its bigger brother. Only reason I sold it is because I replaced it with a 471SS.

But, your 30lb plus flatheads are hard as anything to move from the bottom unless you button down your drag and apply some serious cranking power; that is exactly how I used the reel and it just got smoother and more refined in feel the harder I pushed it.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

1 hour ago, Cpalms said:

Lexa's and Tranx (and Komodo) have been used and abused on far tougher fish than a 15lb tog.  Plenty of videos on youtube prove that.  Mine have been bulletproof.

But I do agree lever drags bottom fishing are a pain in ass.  Don't bring a wrench when you need a hammer.

Anybody ever had a Tranx failure on here?

I think the only low pro failures I have seen documented on here regarding what is currently avalible is the Lexas; but the Lexas have been improved supposedly they should be more solid.

The Revo Toro Beast, Tranx, and Komodo reels are all very solid reels and it would be interesting to see a quanitative attempt to cause a fishing related failure with any of these reels.

I just know from experiance what the Komodos, specifically the 471, can tank. Never felt confident enough to use the Tranx or Beast purposely for sharks and rays.

Big gears, massive drag stacks, and stainless steel drive trains rain supreme in this reel category; when I can fit the Tranx 400 main gear inside of the Komodo 471SS's main gear drag stack housing I know immidiately which reel I want to use to put the beat down on powerful fish. It is a confidence thing.

20180210_114123.jpg.e67ffd133a5cbda0e33a8bc392f2a38d.jpg

Edited by Beastly Backlash

If you are fishing from a boat in 50+ fow and dropping straight down, that kind of pressure is a lot different than casting out from the beach. I have a tranx 300 and no way is it going to stop a 10+ lb tog in its tracks on that initial pull without thumbing the spool, and you definitely need to pump the rod some. I like the reel a lot it has held up great for 2 seasons but I'm still going with a beefier conventional over it for deep water tog fishing.

12 mins ago, nateD said:

If you are fishing from a boat in 50+ fow and dropping straight down, that kind of pressure is a lot different than casting out from the beach. I have a tranx 300 and no way is it going to stop a 10+ lb tog in its tracks on that initial pull without thumbing the spool, and you definitely need to pump the rod some. I like the reel a lot it has held up great for 2 seasons but I'm still going with a beefier conventional over it for deep water tog fishing.

yeah I guess I agree, but deepwater bottom fishing with lots of lead is so far out of the scope of what that reel is designed for.  It's a testament to the quality and toughness of that tiny little reel (300) that anybody would even consider about using it in a situation like that. I did all my blackfishing last year with my Tranx - although all of it was in shallow water with light jigs.   No problem on fish up to about 10 lbs.