AbbyDaddy

Conventional or low profile baitcaster for Tog?

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

All looking to get a party boat setup for tog. 

I have a Tsunami slimwave 7'H + Daiwa Costal TWS 200 that I use for fluke w/ 20lb line that I could use for jigs. So I was looking for a setup for a conventional reel setup for a 40-50lb braid with heavy leader for those currents requiring 6+ oz sinkers on a nj party boat togging. 

I like the lightweight rod/reel setup but all of the conventions recommended pre-2018 searching through seem like the heavier reels. 

I was considering a level wind reel as I was pretty terrible with the line laying the penn jigmaster that I rented and bunched up the spool. 

So I was considering the lexa/tranx or a lw conventional reel. Any updated recommendations for 2019? 

The Lexa would work, as would a Tranx. If the rod you're putting this conventional on is heavier duty, like a Lamiglas Tri Flex for example, you could equip a Shimano Tekota 500 or Daiwa Luna 300 on it. The Tekota and Luna are bigger and heavier than the Lexa or Tranx, but not big and heavy like that old but reliable Jigmaster.

It's a non-levelwind, but my favorite inshore conventional reel is a Maxel Hybrid 20. It's super light weight and an absolute tank of a reel. I have mine on a Lami and absolutely love the setup for tog.

I prefer a conventional but am happy to fish bottom with a Lexa.  I agree with Topwater Pete that heavier rods and deeper waters are best addressed with a midsize conventio 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I would strongly recommend the Komodo 471SS for bottom fishing over any other big low pro, including the Lexa HD (which only has a stainless steel main gear). I would say it is just as good or better then any conventional reel in its size class too. The reel has an entirely stainless steel drive train from crank shaft to spool shaft, excellent frame rigidity (the reel can legit handle 30lbs of drag), and great cranking power (check out the model with the extended power handle; but even then guys are sticking massive t-bar conventional reel power handles on these low pros because of their ability to handle that added torque). The reel can do finesse fishing as well as handle dropping 1 pound of lead down 300ft deep and cranking it back with fish in tow; fishing 6oz is nothing to these things.

It will handle as much as you wish to punish it with and it will ask for more too. There is no good reason to look else where when looking for a reel that can hold 300yds of 50lb braid and bottom fish.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

A beefy enough low profile bait caster could handle it, but I’d personally go with something like an avet sx....the sx g2 is real nice. You get used to line laying, and with a narrower spool and braid it takes very little effort.

14 hours ago, C.Robin said:

A beefy enough low profile bait caster could handle it, but I’d personally go with something like an avet sx....the sx g2 is real nice. You get used to line laying, and with a narrower spool and braid it takes very little effort.

The SX G2's are really nice reels, definitly worth the extra money over the original SX's.

I just picked up the lexa. 

About 10 trips in and I like it.

Started to groan a bit and broke it down. Minimal grease from the factory. Packed it up and its fine. 

Light weight 

Spilled with 40 lb braid and I believe I was able to get about 190 yards plus 10 foot floro top shot

A  Reversed Albright knot passes fine thru the level wind 

In the same price range of those baitcaster,

Daiwa Saltist 15P. It’s a conventional but a very narrow spool. Virtually no need for constant line management. Will get you 330yrds of 30lb (which should be enough) or 280yrds of 40lb. No levelwind to blowout. No thumbar/clutch mechanism to blow out using heavier weights. Well made. And low gear which is great for tog. 

If you want to step it up, Saltiga 15/Trinidad 12. Same narrow spools. No issues with line lay. 

I use a Lexa 300 on a Mojo Inshore rod and a Saltist 20 on a Trevala jigging rod. I prefer the Saltist with the lever drag and fat handle which gives more power and control. I’ve had no issue with line lay on it. 

Thanks all for your inputs. I was going to pull the trigger on the Avet SXJ G2, but then saw Seigler SGN w/ 10% off w/ lifetime warranty and ordered one for $225. Going to pair with a Tsunami slow pitch 7'XH. Can't wait to get it! 

Hopefully, the lever drag doesn't become an issue. But it seems like a reel with very easy maintenance. 

I would second the Maxel Hybrid 20 for this application as well as many other inshore species.  It's lightweight and powerful without need to worry about the hangups you may get with a levelwind conv or baitcaster setup.