LeeSHF

Transaction issue

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Hey all just seeing what you guys think. I made a purchase (not on SOL) online on an orvis fly reel. I asked if they would ship, they said sure but add $5 for shipping. No worries on my part. Make the deal and pay with PayPal goods and services. I get the reel. Looks nice so I start to mess with it and noticed the drag didn’t adjust when I would loosen or tighten it. So I reach out and ask if they knew this and they weren’t aware of it because they don’t fish, it was their spouse’s. I told them I took the spool off to see if I could tell what was wrong. I couldn’t. I didn’t want to give them a hard time so I asked what they thought we should do as I didn’t expect to get a reel that wasn’t in working condition. Two options I suggested was to refund the money and pay to ship it back to them or to split the $30 charge to have Orvis repair. That seemed fair to me. They didn’t want to pay shipping to get it back to them since they already payed $3 extra to ship it to me. They agreed split the $30 but they insisted on seeing the receipt before refunding the $15. So i send them the picture of the box with label going back to orvis, then the email they sent me when they get it with the service number. 3 weeks later I get the receipt with the $30 charge so I send that to them.  This is their reply:

“It says it was serviced. I’m not sure that means it was fixed or cleaned or what. I have an issue with you buying it then messing with it sending it out to orvis then wanting me to cover half. It just doesn’t seem right. If there was an issue originally it should have been sent back. Also you didn’t ask any questions before purchasing.”

So the $15 is not even a big deal to me but it does kind of make me want to go to PayPal and file a complaint. Thoughts?

If you have proof of the discussion about splitting the cost of sending it to orvis, then I would absolutely open a dispute through PayPal. It's not about the money, it's about principle.

8 mins ago, chitala383 said:

If you have proof of the discussion about splitting the cost of sending it to orvis, then I would absolutely open a dispute through PayPal. It's not about the money, it's about principle.

Yes I have screen shots of the conversation. And yes I’m with you with that. I was trying to be open, honest and nice about it all. 

They should pony up the $15.  People are so weird, like this other person thinks you are scamming them and made up the fact that the reel arrived broken.

I tell my wife all the time, I believe 90% of the people roaming this earth are whacked !!

26 mins ago, 27conch said:

They should pony up the $15.  People are so weird, like this other person thinks you are scamming them and made up the fact that the reel arrived broken.

I tell my wife all the time, I believe 90% of the people roaming this earth are whacked !!

Ok thanks for making me not think I’m just going crazy. I’m not going to just spend the $30 for no reason to send it to orvis. Some people might even say they should pay the full $30 instead of half. I was just trying to be respectful and offer to take care of half. 

somewhat related, but I would be curious to know what orvis did to fix the issue, was it operator error or was there, in fact, a problem with the reel?

1 min ago, srm413 said:

somewhat related, but I would be curious to know what orvis did to fix the issue, was it operator error or was there, in fact, a problem with the reel?

Good question, was thinking about calling them to ask that as well. 

If you bought it  from eBay, the seller is obligated to describe the reel's condition and any flaws.  I've never really had any issues, and if it was just about $ 15, I'd probably just cut my losses...It does sound like the seller doesn't want to deal with the issue, but I probably would've just sent it back or tried to resolve the issue with the seller before messing with the reel.

2 mins ago, PSUFly said:

If you bought it  from eBay, the seller is obligated to describe the reel's condition and any flaws.  I've never really had any issues, and if it was just about $ 15, I'd probably just cut my losses...It does sound like the seller doesn't want to deal with the issue, but I probably would've just sent it back or tried to resolve the issue with the seller before messing with the reel.

Yeah I’m not really worried about the $15 at all. More just of moral thing. 

I prefer to shun controversy on this site so I'll only be positive.   Terry Mac, you're an excellent judge of character.  Tim, thank you for your intervention.   I'm sorry you have to be aggravated.     

1 hour ago, LeeSHF said:

Yeah I’m not really worried about the $15 at all. More just of moral thing. 

That is what it would be for me also.  If everything is as  you described, you are 100% in the right.

Paypal offers buyer protection.  Take advantage of it. Go for full refund.  Your too trusting as they knew it didnt work when they sold it.