Bluefish population may be overfished

Rate this topic

CWitek

I was talking to one of the ASMFC staffers before the bass meeting this morning.

The peer review of the bluefish stock assessment update occurred Tuesday and Wednesday.  From what he understands, the bluefish stock has been found to be overfished—meaning that the Mid-Atlantic Council will have to initiate a rebuilding plan.  No overfishing took place in 2018, probably because few anglers found enough fish to catch them in quantity.

So bass aren’t the only problem that will need fixing.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

Not surprising. I haven’t seen an inshore bluefish blitz in years now. You used to be able to count on them to save a ****** day of fluke fishing. Not to mention, I’ve encountered multiple people throughout the years keeping a limit “for the crab trap”. 

Edited by C.Robin

I hope they get it ironed out. Bluefish are such a fun species. 

"It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most
Not where you live, what you drive or the price tag on your clothes" -Zac Brown Band

"A leader is someone who keeps their head when everyone else is losing theirs." -Bryant Wright

5 mins ago, smellfish said:

If you are a shore angler in Massachusetts ... you made this evaluation (4) years ago.

same in RI and CT-   haven't seen a decent bluefish in a few years.   (and yeah-  I read a local report earlier today about guys 'keeping a few for crabbing"....  only place to find them is the nuke plant outlfow

its all about da fishes...

Yeah, the regulations for this species is down right stupid.  In NJ its 15 fish with no minimum size.  You have guys with their kids fishing off the docks and killing 6" bluefish.  How freaking stupid.   We had 2 or 3 great Springs runs in a row where I was catching 10lb-15lb fish on poppers.  Never kept a one, but I have seen guys taking home a dozen 12lb fish.  What does one do with 144lbs of bluefish?  CRAZY!!

2 mins ago, 27conch said:

Yeah, the regulations for this species is down right stupid.  In NJ its 15 fish with no minimum size.  You have guys with their kids fishing off the docks and killing 6" bluefish.  How freaking stupid.   We had 2 or 3 great Springs runs in a row where I was catching 10lb-15lb fish on poppers.  Never kept a one, but I have seen guys taking home a dozen 12lb fish.  What does one do with 144lbs of bluefish?  CRAZY!!

Yep. 

Sandy hook bay, grown men with cast nets working all day long keeping every fish caught for bait, bait stores, and the frying pan.  Saw hundreds of small snapper blues in the buckets.  Hundreds. 

I asked what they do with them, they hand motioned they fry and eat.   I told them they better like it, because they wont be here for too long.   Shrug.  

I dropped a dime, no one showed.  

How many old timers "filled coolers" back in the day?    How many caught fish and gave them to neighbors who didnt ask?   

Before we know it, even the Kingfish will be overfished. So many anglers have no regard for the law. 

"It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most
Not where you live, what you drive or the price tag on your clothes" -Zac Brown Band

"A leader is someone who keeps their head when everyone else is losing theirs." -Bryant Wright