Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mattyboyee

EMERGENCY situation while fishing. What happend and what did you do?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

So I'm taking my morning walk to the end of the jetty with my rod, some bucktails, and some plugs. The first thing I notice is a man running towards me, and the parking lot, he was coming from the end of the jetty. I give my usual smile and a good morning when he eventually gets to me, he replies with a quick wave but keeps running. I think to myself, sweet, I have the end of the jetty to my self. This particular jetty has a light house base almost as wide as the jetty and about 4ft or so high, and the base sits about 8-10 yards from the end of the jetty. I don't see anyone as I approach the base of the light, then I walk to the left of the base to get around it and I notice the head of a little man. There is braided line coming from a rod leaning against the base and another pole stuck in the rocks with line out in the water. As I get on the solid footing on the other side of the base, I'm asking myself why this fella isn't moving any of his gear that's blocking the whole side of the jetty, and why is this guy blocking me from getting out there? I notice that he is looking down, I make my way through the maze of line and almost walk right into him as I kinda swing around the big base. I look at him, he looks scared, he directs me to his hand, I notice he has what looks like a 7/0-8/0 jig hook with a 2.5-3oz jig in his hand, still tide direct to braided line going to his rod. The hook was between the first and second knuckle deep in his thumb, and he had really small hands so it looked like he was gaffed. He was trying to pull it out gently, I asked if he crushed the barb he said no, I said STOP PULLING ON IT!. I cut the braid told him to walk with me back to my jeep where I have a big pair of Manley Pliers that can cut really big hooks. His cousin (the man running back to parking lot) was with us at this point. I cut the hook, and told him he needed to push the hook through and not pull it back, after some ooohs and ahhhhs, he popped the skin on the other side of his thumb with the hook. I told him to make it bleed (infection minimizing), I had some antibiotic ointment in my first aid kit, someone had some Listerine mouth wash they poured all over it. He bandaged it up and went back to the end of the jetty. Pretty basic stuff, it happens, I've experienced much worse emergency situations. I'm glad I've only had to use those Manley's 5-6 times, and none were for me or my fishing buddies, always some fellow angler. I'd love to hear some other emergency situations that have occurred while you were fishing and how you handled the situation. And maybe some thoughts on how it might have been prevented, or what you may do differently if in the same situation again.

Best, Matt

out on the boat fishing.  my son sees a flare go up, then a second one.  I could see we were about 5 miles away and it was rough out with red flags up on the deleware bay.

I hailed the coast guard and told them what I saw and we headed that way the best I could in the rough water.  fortunately state police arrived before me. over turned boat with 3 guys.

we pulled in 1 , state police the other.   the 3rd guy was about 400lbs.  could not get him in the boat even with a ladder. we tied him to a rope and a ball float. coast guard had to use there basket to get him out of the water. nobody hurt.  this was in 2010

another time our old wood  boat caught fire in the engine bay do to clogged exhaust which got so hot the wood caught fire.   we put our life preservers on ,called out a mayday twice and tried to put it out it.  another boater came in and he had 2 extinguishers which put it out mostly. this was back in 1980.  a 3rd boater towed us in. boat was put on blocks and never saw the water again.

River was up 2' and running hard.We were running the river for the fast water and had hauled up below a broken dam to take a break and do some swimming.A drunken couple is coming down the river and I try to tell them which channel to take so they don't capsize.Dude flips me off,goes the wrong way and goes ass-over-teakettle.She's drunk AF and can barely stay up so I go for her first,drag her back to shore.Dude's tryin to play hero and got himself pinned to a root mass by the canoe w/ water rushing over his head,which was basically under water.I had to get up on the root wad and pry the canoe off him using my legs to push it.The canoe moves a little and I reach down and hook my arms under his armpits and haul his sorry,drunken ass up and out.Did he thanks me? Nope,threatening to kick my ass cuz I was "touching his GF".Go ahead,take a swing cuz I'll just throw ya back in after I put a beat-down on you.A fat,drunk, short man is no threat to me ....worthless POS,shoulda left him to drown.

Watched the coast guard helicopter rescue a man that had a large flying gaff through his bicep 50 miles off. Put him in the basket with gaff head still in his arm. Radio chatter had him in and out of consciousness. Dont think Manley pliers would have worked.

So theres always the coast guard if your way offshore.

Guy next to me on the rocks caught a bluefish and the front hook got stuck in his plug bag with the back hook in the fish. He reached back to try to free it up, and the inevitable happened.  Now he's attached to his plug bag and an angry blue.  I got rid of the fish for him and took the hook out of the bag then handed him my pliers so he could rip the hook out.  Something came out with the hook when he pulled, maybe a tendon or something.  He bit it off and continued to outfish me for the rest of the night.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I got wiped out by a rogue wave on a rock next to the pill box at M one day. It was an unusually beautiful and calm day under the light. Went to load my rod and when I began casting a huge wave came out of nowhere and completely destroyed me, throwing me down between other boulders. When the water subsided and I came to, I heard a woman above asking if I was ok. My buddy BrooklynBridger didn't see it happen, but noticed I wasn't on my rock anymore and he came looking for me. I had some superficial cuts, but my back was in so much pain I couldn't stand up. He helped me crawl out of my hole, but I could barely walk, so he brought his buggy down as far as he could from the lot by Turtle Cove. He loaded me in and we took off to Hither, where we were camping. After resting in my tent for a while a couple of kids came running up with some monster blues. I guess that was the cure, because I grabbed my rod and hobbled down to the beach. 

My advice, always fish with a friend. You never know what can happen out there. My bones might still be in that hole by the Pill Box if Mark hadn't been there to pull me out.

Fishing on a boat off Cape Cod once, my other buddy cracked the back of my skull with 5oz of lead. Knocked me down and I saw stars. I still don't know if that was an accident though! :naughty:

Edited by NYNistler