Prospector

12 WT

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

Just wondering how many of you actually own one. .I bought one for a special trip that never came to be. Mostly use my 9, 10 and 11wt in the salt.

I’ve never bought one, but I’ve thought of it then talked myself out of the purchase. I do a few tarpon trips a year but I cant justify dropping $1500 or more on a setup I’ll only use a few times annually. The guides always have top quality gear anyway. Hell, the last guy I went with let me use his Mako/Hardy rig. 

This wasn't a charter trip. My nephew in his 31 Contender. Bought a Gold Cup for a couple hundred figuring I'd destroy it on the trip.No way was I taking my Sage 11wt

I bought a 12 WT this past winter for my Tarpon trip in April.  Hope to get to use it annually for Tarpon trips Jersey BFT and the eventual GT.....until then its pretty damn unused

I use a 12wt for stripers quite frequently.  I have the T&T exocett surf two hand 12wt.  For inlets throwing flies in the 10-14" bracket at night its awesome.  Also its great in fishing when wind would normally keep you off the water fly fishing.  Its not much fun when you hook undersized fish, but when you get big fish in serious current the 12wt with 40lb leader is clutch.  So reasons to own one are:

1: Your want to fly fish wind over 15mph

2:  You plan to use 12" or longer flies regularly

3:  You fish from shore targeting larger fish in inlets with current 2 kts or greater

If you chase striped bass from a boat you can most likely make do with just a 10wt.   You can do a lot of things in a boat I cannot do from shore to compensate for having lighter tackle.

I mostly use a 10wt for bass. Out front in the surf with larger flies my 11wt went the surfs up. The 12wt I bought for offshore in a boat for maybe larger critters.

21 mins ago, Prospector said:

I mostly use a 10wt for bass. Out front in the surf with larger flies my 11wt went the surfs up. The 12wt I bought for offshore in a boat for maybe larger critters.

An 11wt that throws 475+ grains would be fine to meet any striper needs.  You don't need a 12 if you have that in my opinion.  I have 10wt then jump to 12wt.  There is no 11wt just 10 and 12 wt options for those two hand overhead rods. The 10 is not always enough so I got the 12.  10wt is my 55% rod these days.  35% is the 12wt and I use my 9' 9wt about 10%.

Hoping to take it for beach tarpon to FL next year.  But it sees plenty of use here.

we have several---what we mainly use them for is throwing 600 grain sink tips for old red drum at cape lookout.   11 wts work as well.  Sage Salt HD 12 wt  was my rod of choice this May at Black Sands in Columbia for yellowfin tuna and even caught a couple of sails on it.  

but for the most part they gather dust 

I own probably around 4 or 5 of them, they are one of my favorite rod weight classes as I find them very castable with excellent fish fighting power.  I use them pretty frequently as they are my go to rod for big fish unless we're talking large pelagics (sharks > 150#, bft > 50#, etc).

I bought a used Sage 12wt and corresponding Ross Momentum LT last summer for use at Cape Lookout. The previous fall the water temperatures were off and all of the albies we caught were on the shrimp trawlers. Normally, we use 8wts and 9wts, but this was different.  The fish would all try to get back to the boat. If you didn't crank down on them, they would tangle you in the trawler's gear. I switched quickly to my 10wt, which helped. Then the sharks showed up. The fish found another gear. We broke about 7-8 rods between six of us and lost countless lines. We caught a lot of nice albies, though, so it was worth it.  We also hooked numerous sharks and some other large mystery fish that we had on for 15 minutes plus  without turning (maybe big redfish?... they were on the bottom behind the trawlers' gear)

I bought the rod and reel on Ebay figuring they don't get much use so why pay retail. The pair was $200 under the price of a new Sage. Last year the trawlers were nowhere to be found, Between the numerous smaller albies and the less than ideal FF waves/wind, I never broke out the 12wt. Hopefully this year......maybe albies and big reds!

12wt's make great sinking line rods when you need to get some grains in the water and they are also great sight casting rods for bigger fish. Tarpon, tuna, etc... A touch harder to find the variety of lines compared to your ten weights, but not as bad as with 14wt rods. Once you get used to casting them you won't really tell the difference between your 10wt.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I recently bought a 12wt (Hardy SWS) for pelagics and maybe GT's. But after practice casting over a few days I swapped it for the 11wt version. Casting 12wt lines was too much for me. I couldn't get any distance and I suspect I would get tennis/golfers elbow after a days fishing it. The 11wt version is still a beefy rod but so much easier to cast without killing myself.  All the 11wt's I tried in the proper saltwater ranges definitely felt a big step up from 10wt's. The way I see it is if you can't get the fly in front of the fish you are wasting your time anyway. I doubt that I'm missing out much on the fishing fighting front either from what I can tell - time will tell I guess?

Edited by JRT

Posted (edited) · Report post

JRT

I hear you. These days some companies rods are very much more powerful than their ratings would have us believe. How do we calibrate when we have these discussions.

For example I like to fish 9’ 10 wt rods for the beach. My go to is a CTS AffinityMX. It casts a properly rated 10 line very sweetly. The rod is easy to cast and very light.

I am at a show in Bristol and I pick up a Hardy 10 wt. I think it was a Sintrix.

Totally different in power. No way could I cast this rod all day. I did not pick up a 12 wt wish I had now.

It seems my CTS compared to many brands is under powered and yet it casts a long belly 10 wt line very well. So surely it can claim to be a ten weight.

Not a rod I would use for big fish in a boat mind.

I just feel that many rods are just under rated. 

If you are  experienced with big pelagic fish and can get to a rod rack with various rods to try you can probably pick the right  rod by feel rather than looking at it’s line rating.   

If I ever were to get into this bust your rod Albie  game time to abandon making my own rods and buy factory with nice long fault free warranties.

mikey

Edited by Mike Oliver

3 hours ago, JRT said:

I recently bought a 12wt (Hardy SWS) for pelagics and maybe GT's. But after practice casting over a few days I swapped it for the 11wt version. Casting 12wt lines was too much for me. I couldn't get any distance and I suspect I would get tennis/golfers elbow after a days fishing it. The 11wt version is still a beefy rod but so much easier to cast without killing myself.  All the 11wt's I tried in the proper saltwater ranges definitely felt a big step up from 10wt's. The way I see it is if you can't get the fly in front of the fish you are wasting your time anyway. I doubt that I'm missing out much on the fishing fighting front either from what I can tell - time will tell I guess?

I have the similar mentality when it comes to fishing. I don't overthink the fish fighting part when or if the fish are proving to be difficult to catch. That's why I have stepped down on my BFT rods. 12wt's and old 13wt's that throw the same lines that my 12wt's do are my go to rods now as I can fish so much better with them compared to the 14+ wt's I used to use that are only good for chucking heavy grain lines in my hands. The lighter outfits lets me concentrate so much more on the fishing part and lets me present the fly so much better, especially if the fish are feeding on small bait and you need to use small flies. Sure the fight might be a touch tougher on me than with the heavier rods and there's a larger chance of the rod braking mid fight, but that's a trade off I'm willing to take. 

On the other hand... If the fish are easy enough to catch, they are big or bigish and your catching a lot of them, then fish fighting abilities is the main criteria. Heavy rods and glass time.

I used to use heavy rods (for me #12 is not heavy), but they are not fun to cast and line selection is very narrow. The reason to use these was that I want to pull the fish up (with tuna you have to lift them vertically at some point eventually) as fast as possible. The rods able to cope were heavy and stiff. Very unpleasant to cast. And also quite unpleasant to fight the fish due to long lever.

My current rods are built on the foundation of glass butt section, a fitting glass section (shortest section of the rod; 1’-2’+) and graphite top sections (2 or 3 depending on their length, usually the top half of a 4pc fly rod). With the same butts I have rods that work from #10 lines to #12+ lines.

These are slightly heavier than full graphite rods, but I like the way they cast. And they murder the fish when fighting them. I don’t think I can go back to graphite as I would break them in an instant with the fighting habits I’ve gotten accustomed to with these hybrids.

If a 12 feels heavy, it is very much about casting ability, not the equipment.