Surf Albie/Schoolie Rod

Rate this topic

wtfooptimax200

I'm looking to burn some Cabela's points and gift cards.  I was thinking of grabbing a rod/reel for beach fishing for Albies and smaller stuff.  I was thinking along the lines of a St Croix Mojo Inshore 7'6" MH (1/2 oz to 1.25 oz) with a Daiwa BG 4000.  The largest stuff I'd be throwing would be Metal, SP Minnows, Egg Float/Fly, but I also want something that will do well with unweighted Albie Snax.

Thoughts are appreciated.  I'm not looking to spend a fortune, but want something halfway decent.  If I can get by with something at a lower pricepoint, I'm all ears.

I really love my stradic 5000 w/20 lb. braid and St. Croix Triumph 7' from shore, and i toss the 5000 on an avid inshore from the boat. If you're looking to toss daddy mac jigs around 1oz the triumph can really launch them. 

You may not get a distance for Albies with 7' rod.

Maybe 9', 10', or even 11 would be better in those situations.

Take a look at Okuma Rockaway; great rods for $100.00 or less.

Edited by Popasilov

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

Love my TICA-TC2 Graphite. 8' 1pc. Gotta Spinfisher V 4500, 1 spool is spooled with 10lb Fireline. Feels like I can cast a potato chip 100 yards with that set up. So much fun catching Albies with that. I have a second spool with 15lb PP. I've seen rod for $100, I paid $120 I think. So good I bought my son one. I've landed lots of keeper bass and up to 12-13lb blues with that set up also.

Edited by mattyboyee

"When the last individual of a race of living things breathes no more,

another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one be again." 

William Beebe

2 hours ago, wtfooptimax200 said:

I'm looking to burn some Cabela's points and gift cards.  I was thinking of grabbing a rod/reel for beach fishing for Albies and smaller stuff.  I was thinking along the lines of a St Croix Mojo Inshore 7'6" MH (1/2 oz to 1.25 oz) with a Daiwa BG 4000.  The largest stuff I'd be throwing would be Metal, SP Minnows, Egg Float/Fly, but I also want something that will do well with unweighted Albie Snax.

Thoughts are appreciated.  I'm not looking to spend a fortune, but want something halfway decent.  If I can get by with something at a lower pricepoint, I'm all ears.

If you like the Mojo, stick with it although you could lighten up. The reel you could definitely downsize on though, the 4000 Daiwa sizes are larger than a Shimano 4000 for example. A 3000 BG would do well for albies and could double as a fluking reel. It'll balance far better on the Mojo as well.

I use an EDGE steelhead / salmon spin rod rated for up to 2 1/2 oz ,

The rod is 10.6”’s  with a nice long butt to gain distance with light lures . I’ve used up to 1 1/2 oz  lures with mine coupled to a Ballistic 3000 loaded with 15 # braid and fluoro top shot 12# !

Casts really well , rod loads very easily with the lighter lures , 200’ casts easy ! 

I don't believe they sell it, but there is no doubt my favorite setup for light surf is the Black Hole 10' Suzuki Special

It's rated 1/2-2 oz and rating is accurate.

This rod bends and is the most fun rod I own. Small fish, big fish, whatever...

The second rod I use for beach if I want a shorter length rod (I like this for beach fluking) is the 8' Suzuki Special with the same rating. It is one piece and is a little more stout than the 10'.

The 10' likes smaller reels. It can LAUNCH albie worthy lures...and I find the distance is important at times.

Although the salmon/steelhead rods may have the length you require, I am not a fan of them for surf applications ... especially in a crowd because they don’t generally have power in the butt section. If you are fishing open beaches that require distance, 9-11” rod with a 1/2 to 2 range would be great for that. I would not make a rod selection based on a store you shop in ... get what you believe meets your requirements. The BG4000 is the size I would go with if that is the reel you choose. Distance ... better to have than  to need.

Don't stop ... Retrieving ...