John O'

Fish tacos/tortillas

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Did them a little differently recently, I sauteed finely diced red onion, red, green, yellow and orange peppers in olive oil with salt, paper and cilantro.  Then added two very small cans of diced pineapple and mango with the juice from the pineapple. I wrapped a big piece of cod in tin foil with butter and salt and pepper and grilled until flaky/done. I added the fish to the pan and cut it up into bite size pieces and mixed everything together. Then added home made aoli sauce and more cilantro, stirred it all together and served in small tortillas with lettuce and a mix of cheddar cheeses.

Really good, surprisingly so.

Edited by John O'

My wife does similar to that and I tell her that she is not allowed to call it a taco. 

It is a fajita or a burrito take your pick it is all delicious. 

A little cholula on there too.

I got a nice piece of King salmon from a guy at work. He took a trip up to lake Ontario last week. I think I might make some tacos out of it.

I know people enjoy it (including my kids) but I cant do the mango salsa thing. 

fresh fish, or shrimp, tacos are a huge hit in my family. we might average it once a week. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

This here:  striper and tog would also work great.  best tacos i've ever had anywhere with fresh striper.

Baja Fried-Fish Tacos

Prep and Cook Time: about 45 minutes

Yield:  Makes 6 to 8 tacos (serving size: 1 taco)

1 cup dark beer
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 pounds boned, skinned firm, white-fleshed fish such as Pacific cod or tilapia
Vegetable oil
12 to 16 corn tortillas, warmed
Cabbage and Cilantro Slaw
Chipotle Tartar Sauce
Lime wedges

1. In a bowl, whisk beer, flour, and salt until well blended.

2. Rinse fish and pat dry; cut crosswise into 1-inch-wide strips.

3. Pour about 1 inch of oil into a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan (with at least 2-in.-tall sides) over medium-high heat; bring oil to 360°. With a fork, dip each piece of fish into beer batter; lift out and let drain briefly. Slide fish into oil, a few pieces at a time, and cook until golden (adjust heat to maintain 360°), turning if necessary to brown on all sides, 2 to 4 minutes per batch. With a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper towel-lined baking sheet. Keep warm in a 200° oven while you fry remaining fish.

Cabbage Cilantro slaw

Ingredients

Preparation

In a large bowl, mix 1 1/2 quarts finely shredded cabbage (about 10 oz.), 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro, 3 tablespoons lime juice, 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, 1/4 teaspoon hot chile flakes, and salt to taste.

Chipotle Cream Sauce

Ingredients

Preparation

Rinse 2 tablespoons canned chipotle chiles and discard seeds and veins. In a blender, whirl the chiles with 1 cup mayonnaise, 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish, and 1/4 cup chopped onion until smooth.

Edited by Ryan D.
cleanup

On 8/8/2019 at 8:29 PM, Kml said:

My wife does similar to that and I tell her that she is not allowed to call it a taco. 

It is a fajita or a burrito take your pick it is all delicious. 

A little cholula on there too.

I wasn't sure what to call them. 

On 8/9/2019 at 2:09 PM, HugeDinghy said:

I know people enjoy it (including my kids) but I cant do the mango salsa thing. 

fresh fish, or shrimp, tacos are a huge hit in my family. we might average it once a week. 

First time I did them I used canned pears instead of mango, I'll probably go back to the pears.

On 8/9/2019 at 2:21 PM, Ryan D. said:

This here:  striper and tog would also work great.  best tacos i've ever had anywhere with fresh striper.

Baja Fried-Fish Tacos

Prep and Cook Time: about 45 minutes

Yield:  Makes 6 to 8 tacos (serving size: 1 taco)

1 cup dark beer
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 pounds boned, skinned firm, white-fleshed fish such as Pacific cod or tilapia
Vegetable oil
12 to 16 corn tortillas, warmed
Cabbage and Cilantro Slaw
Chipotle Tartar Sauce
Lime wedges

1. In a bowl, whisk beer, flour, and salt until well blended.

2. Rinse fish and pat dry; cut crosswise into 1-inch-wide strips.

3. Pour about 1 inch of oil into a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan (with at least 2-in.-tall sides) over medium-high heat; bring oil to 360°. With a fork, dip each piece of fish into beer batter; lift out and let drain briefly. Slide fish into oil, a few pieces at a time, and cook until golden (adjust heat to maintain 360°), turning if necessary to brown on all sides, 2 to 4 minutes per batch. With a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper towel-lined baking sheet. Keep warm in a 200° oven while you fry remaining fish.

Cabbage Cilantro slaw

Ingredients

Preparation

In a large bowl, mix 1 1/2 quarts finely shredded cabbage (about 10 oz.), 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro, 3 tablespoons lime juice, 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, 1/4 teaspoon hot chile flakes, and salt to taste.

Chipotle Cream Sauce

Ingredients

Preparation

Rinse 2 tablespoons canned chipotle chiles and discard seeds and veins. In a blender, whirl the chiles with 1 cup mayonnaise, 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish, and 1/4 cup chopped onion until smooth.

Thanks!

I'll be making these tonight!

JD

18 mins ago, jjdbike said:

Thanks!

I'll be making these tonight!

JD

enjoy!  let me know how you like them.  and the cabbage is red cabbage.  and I left out the relish.  :)  i wish i had time to cook again.  3 kids under 5 yrs old pretty much kills any cooking time.  

On 8/14/2019 at 9:23 AM, Ryan D. said:

enjoy!  let me know how you like them.  and the cabbage is red cabbage.  and I left out the relish.  :)  i wish i had time to cook again.  3 kids under 5 yrs old pretty much kills any cooking time.  

Delicious.

My wife actually said “these were the best tacos I’ve ever had!”.

Thanks Brother.

JD

7CA3785A-9D01-42DF-B87E-AE0421F3D445.jpeg