coastalfreak

Anyone use inline spinners in salt water?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Forgive me if this topic has been covered before. 

Anybody use inline spinners in saltwater? They are some of my favorite freshwater baits. 

If you have any experiences with Rooster Tails, Mepps Spinners, etc. in saltwater, I'd love to hear them. I think they could work similar to spoons. 

i also love spinners in fresh water I asked a tackle shop about it and he stated that due to the saltwater the spinning action and blades would lock up due to the environments....he said a few manufacturers tried to market what they developed but they didn't last long in the water and as a result we don't see them on the market....i bet if someone was ambitious enough to make one out of pure brass or maybe titanium so it would not corrode it may work....i would bet a blue fish would go crazy over it....that being said i still every now and then try out my prized 1oz tiger lily rooster tail.....but never caught a saltwater fish on it...

all kinds...flounder rigs have spinners.....check out redfish magic......esp for reds....gold anything.    buzz baits for lmb for reds....sounds like u should twist something up!  like a couple beads a gold spinner some brass beads follow up with a weedless bass type hook w a chronic green grub for reds.....or white gulp for flounder.   maybe bullet head lead rigged knocker style.....

It’s just a bit different but I’ve caught a lot of redfish on a Norton Mad Mullet.  A couple other companies make salt water spinners designed to work with a bait tail.

i need to try one up here, but they are killer redfish baits in shallow water. 

When I was a kid and thats many years ago we would slow troll in-line spinners with blood worms on the flats for Bass. We would row or use a small outboard and it was effective

Folks used to use June Bug spinners with baits in the Chesapeake Bay as ghost mentioned when I was a kid in MD. Not sure all of what they caught, but most likely a variety of fish.

I've been making lures for a very long time, but have never made a saltwater specific inline spinner. Like has been mentioned too, have used hooks that has spinners on the leader, such as for use with baits & on Flounder rigs.

I've also made & used spinnerbaits & the safety pin type spinners in saltwater. Strike King still makes one for Redfish, and other companies have made them as well. But, that's not an inline type lure. I've cast 2 oz spinnerbaits for Stripers. 

Edited by Jim H

Next time I go to the coast, I'm going to take a light tackle setup and throw some light rooster tails or Mepps in some troughs. I expect to catch stuff like Whiting or Snapper Blues. 

The Mepps Comet Minnow is what I used in freshwater with great success. I hope it works in the salt, because I love it!!

i have a super large 1oz spinner that i have tried in the salt...but as stated before the issue is that spinners aren't designed for saltwater so the inside of the spinning weight and the steel wire will rust and eventually bind up.  that being said since you can get em cheap why not take a chance..you may catch the fish of a lifetime....tight lines...

p.s. swap out the treble for larger treble and crush or grind off the barbs....the stripers will thank you for it...

17 mins ago, dan_d said:

i have a super large 1oz spinner that i have tried in the salt...but as stated before the issue is that spinners aren't designed for saltwater so the inside of the spinning weight and the steel wire will rust and eventually bind up.  that being said since you can get em cheap why not take a chance..you may catch the fish of a lifetime....tight lines...

p.s. swap out the treble for larger treble and crush or grind off the barbs....the stripers will thank you for it...

Unfortunately we don't have Stripers in the surf down here... I wish though. 

I really want to head to the Northeast one day to catch one.