jsanfilippo5

j cradle for hobie outback

12 posts in this topic

I have a 2017 hobie outback, Looking to transport it on top of my camper this year - but laying top side down leaves more overhang off the side than I am comfortable with. If I can get in on a set of j cradles it shoudl work - It just looks like some of them wont fit the sides of teh outback very well.. 

Just wondering if anyone uses a specific brand on the outback that may work. 

Thanks in advance!

The outback is not the optimal kayak size and weight  and width for J cradles.. It would be a risky venture. They are better for longer narrower lighter kayaks like sea kayaks ? 

Tha ks for the links. I think I got it to where I can rest the kayak directly on the crossbars. I was able to move the cross bars in a way that made the kayak not too over hang.. 

MVIMG_20190807_141639.jpg

Make sure you use  front and rear tie down straps. The problem with using up the entire cross bars is that it is very easy for the straps come off the end of the bars. Don't ask me how I know this ? Traveling down the nys thruway and I looked up and my kayak was on the side of my  truck instead of on top of it. The straps slid off the end of the cross bars.  Front and rear tie down straps can come in handy if a  strap fails or a crossbar fails. Often over looked when transporting kayaks and or canoes.

1 hour ago, dbjpb said:

Make sure you use  front and rear tie down straps. The problem with using up the entire cross bars is that it is very easy for the straps come off the end of the bars. Don't ask me how I know this ? Traveling down the nys thruway and I looked up and my kayak was on the side of my  truck instead of on top of it. The straps slid off the end of the cross bars.  Front and rear tie down straps can come in handy if a  strap fails or a crossbar fails. Often over looked when transporting kayaks and or canoes.

Position the strap behind the base of the crossbar.

I have J racks that I hauled a 100lb 2 seater sit on top with, no issues. I ill let them go for seventy five bucks. PM me if interested

I think most racks(if they are metal) are strong enough for heavier yaks, but the crossbars you def want them to be strong enough. I think factory racks are limited on weight.

I have it working now with the deck side down on the crossbars.  Was having trouble because the air conditioner is on roof of camper. 

I was really worried about the weight capacity of the j bar, more of it actually being able to cradle the high walls of the outback.