coastalfreak

Looking for a versatile setup

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I know this is a tricky question. I apologize. 

I am a serious light tackle nerd. I'm looking for a combo that would be able to panfish in freshwater (primarily bait) but could also use occasional saltwater use for the small fish: grunts, whiting, croaker. Kinda throwing out fishbites or shrimp and waiting. Or throwing micro jigs/spoons. 

Here's where it gets tricky. I'm a little concerned about the weight I would need for the saltwater fishing. I could do a split shot and some bait and let it drift around in a trough but I wanted to hear from some pros. 

Here's some combos I have came up with:

- Penn Fierce 1000/Ugly Stik Elite Light 5'6"

- Shimano Sienna 1000/ Shakespeare Micro Series 7' (I really like the feel of this rod, honestly).

You get the point. I kinda like the idea of the Ugly Stik for the extra durability if I do happen to hook something a little too big for the combo. 

I will be spooling up with 10 Ib. braid.  

Edited by coastalfreak

I have a falcon coastal SS-7M that I use for light bottom fishing, and has also been used for trout plenty of times. It tosses little panfish/trout spinners pretty easily, and has also pulled up nice sea bass +3-4 ounces of lead. Probably a little heavier than what you're looking for, but it is the closest setup I have. 

1 min ago, C.Robin said:

I have a falcon coastal SS-7M that I use for light bottom fishing, and has also been used for trout plenty of times. It tosses little panfish/trout spinners pretty easily, and has also pulled up nice sea bass +3-4 ounces of lead. Probably a little heavier than what you're looking for, but it is the closest setup I have. 

Thanks. I have heard good stuff about those rods. 

2 hours ago, coastalfreak said:

I know this is a tricky question. I apologize. 

I am a serious light tackle nerd. I'm looking for a combo that would be able to panfish in freshwater (primarily bait) but could also use occasional saltwater use for the small fish: grunts, whiting, croaker. Kinda throwing out fishbites or shrimp and waiting. Or throwing micro jigs/spoons. 

Here's where it gets tricky. I'm a little concerned about the weight I would need for the saltwater fishing. I could do a split shot and some bait and let it drift around in a trough but I wanted to hear from some pros. 

Here's some combos I have came up with:

- Penn Fierce 1000/Ugly Stik Elite Light 5'6"

- Shimano Sienna 1000/ Shakespeare Micro Series 7' (I really like the feel of this rod, honestly).

You get the point. I kinda like the idea of the Ugly Stik for the extra durability if I do happen to hook something a little too big for the combo. 

I will be spooling up with 10 Ib. braid.  

Daiwa Saltist STIN762LF might be up your alley, though 7'-6"  and light fast action tends to lead to fairly whippy rods.  it's rated 1/8-3/8, what kind of rating are you looking to throw?

12 mins ago, CoffeeHangover said:

Daiwa Saltist STIN762LF might be up your alley, though 7'-6"  and light fast action tends to lead to fairly whippy rods.  it's rated 1/8-3/8, what kind of rating are you looking to throw?

That’s one thing I’ve been trying to figure out. Georgia has extremely, extremely horrendous tides. 12 foot differentials are not uncommon. 

For reference, I put about 10+ oz or lead on my crab basket and it rolled down the tidal creek. When it’s slack tide, however, it’s very calm. 

When I was down in pensacola fishing the bay, I was using half an ounce and could of easily downgraded in the location I was at. So i think 1/2 oz would be good as long as I plan the tides right. 

Don't overlook bass rods.  I caught my first fish in the surf, a fluke, with a Loomis SJR783-2 GL3 (6'6" 3/16 - 5/8 8-15 lb) and a Spheros 3000.  Up until that point I was mostly a trout fisherman, so I did what I knew how to do, slowly drift bait with split shot.  In this case I used a bloodworm and retrieved it slowing through the surf next to a rock bulkhead.  I've been hooked on surf fishing ever since.

ll bean 4pctravel rod. light.  2500 spin fisher 6 lliner.      maybe the medium w 4500      never know where fishing might take you