NJ Dave

NJ beach house / retirement advice ?

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Currently residing in Bergen County NJ. 2 years to retire and want a beach house. 

I now have a 4 bedroom and want a 2, mabey 3.

Bayfront for my boat is a must. I am thinking the Lavalette Brick Toms river area as it will be within 1hour plus to my family in Bergen County.

Asking for advice on beach towns, taxes, crime rate, good area, ext.

There is NO rush to buy but I want to begin to look.  Not wanting a fix we upper, mabey a redone Sandy house. 

Thx.

1 min ago, NJ Dave said:

Currently residing in Bergen County NJ. 2 years to retire and want a beach house. 

I now have a 4 bedroom and want a 2, mabey 3.

Bayfront for my boat is a must. I am thinking the Lavalette Brick Toms river area as it will be within 1hour plus to my family in Bergen County.

Asking for advice on beach towns, taxes, crime rate, good area, ext.

There is NO rush to buy but I want to begin to look.  Not wanting a fix we upper, mabey a redone Sandy house. 

Thx.

Every one I know that lives in jersey can’t wait to get out of it when they retire. 

4 mins ago, gray gables said:

Every one I know that lives in jersey can’t wait to get out of it when they retire. 

Yea, that's what winter's are for... I'll leave during that time but my family is keeping me here plus I actually like the Jersey shore 

My family does the same. We're in Brigantine and spend the winters in Islamorada.  The only thing I can say is the further south you go the taxes seem to get less.

Edited by smell my mule

1 hour ago, smell my mule said:

My family does the same. We're in Brigantine and spend the winters in Islamorada.  The only thing I can say is the further south you go the taxes seem to get less.

My uncle moved from maryland to delaware last yr. He saves around 30k a yr in taxes. He told me he should have done it sooner. Also helps when he makes a 100k a yr in his pension. 

That's nuts.  My parents both make about that each in pension and pay about $4k in property taxes in NJ.  I pay about $4200 a year in Brigantine but I am not on the water.  We rent slips a few blocks away for about $1200 a year.  Still beats $30k in taxes.

Edited by smell my mule

Don't buy anything until you sit in the backyard for a couple of days in May and July so you can experience the gnats and green heads.  Their severity varies town to town, and even lagoon to lagoon.

I no longer try to convince people how bad they can be, but if you don't go through the effort to experience them before you buy, well, you were warned.

And yes, not only can they be "that bad," but they can actually be far worse than "just" that bad.

PS - And sit in the back yard on weekends.  You'd be shocked at how many homes/streets are great all week long, then the ***hole family comes down for the weekend with their obnoxious jetski teenagers and their barking ****ing dogs.

Edited by JoeyZac

1 hour ago, smell my mule said:

Brigantine is a great Summer Place. I live nearby and do most of my N.J. fishing there. Give it look. Brigantine in Summer, Florida in Winter ...... perfect together. 

12 hours ago, tristate said:

Delaware is much cheaper, taxes are lower. No New York people.

Delaware would put me a little too far from friends and family. ideally Monmouth County or the Northern end of Ocean County is where I think I would like to be

12 hours ago, J Wagen said:

Brigantine is a great Summer Place. I live nearby and do most of my N.J. fishing there. Give it look. Brigantine in Summer, Florida in Winter ...... perfect together. 

Again brigittine would put me a little further south than I ideally would like to be but it is a very nice area my dad has a timeshare there

Properties from Bay Head to Seaside are part of a barrier island, bay on one side, ocean on other, means too much water to go anywhere in a severe storm.  Bay side properties from Bayville to Manahawkin are the lowest cost as far as purchase  price and property taxes, figger around $350-400K for the house and around $8K a year in taxes. Go to Monmouth County and increase by around 1/3. Do know that anything south of Lacey will have more bugs than you can stood, towns like Tuckerton, Little egg harbor, Barnegat are infested with skeeters, no see-ums , green head and black flies as well as any other bothersome insect. Look at a map, the Great Bay is in your backyard and everything hatches and lives there.

You want nice, Little Silver, Oceanport, Fair Haven, Shark River Hills, Manasquan are perfect without the headaches of a Sea Bright or Monmouth Beach (flooding). Some nice spots in Brick and Toms River, as far as Ocean County goes but usually much more congested.   

19 hours ago, JoeyZac said:

Don't buy anything until you sit in the backyard for a couple of days in May and July so you can experience the gnats and green heads.  Their severity varies town to town, and even lagoon to lagoon.

I no longer try to convince people how bad they can be, but if you don't go through the effort to experience them before you buy, well, you were warned.

And yes, not only can they be "that bad," but they can actually be far worse than "just" that bad.

PS - And sit in the back yard on weekends.  You'd be shocked at how many homes/streets are great all week long, then the ***hole family comes down for the weekend with their obnoxious jetski teenagers and their barking ****ing dogs.

Yes, and expect different bugs with various intensity depending upon the amount of wind & wind direction. 

Probably would help to look into the cost of flood insurance in your target areas. 

2 hours ago, EricDice said:

Yes, and expect different bugs with various intensity depending upon the amount of wind & wind direction. 

Probably would help to look into the cost of flood insurance in your target areas. 

Mosquitos in Bergen are a nightmare but those green head flies are a pita as well.

The plan is to have no lien with the flood ins as an option. 

The last thing I want to do is be old in a house with 99 steps to get Into, then again wouldn't want the water either.. 

Most people who had flood Insurance I know got such little insurance money it was a joke. 

Again there in NO rush to buy and no rush to retire bit the option will be there

I don't think you want to be on an island. It really sucks 4 months out of the year. The other 8 months many of the businesses close. The bay side is a good option.If you are willing to go down to beach haven west or mystic island you will have great access to Great Bay. Bergen county is a relatively short ride (Parkway) not much difference from Toms River.