Favorite Way to Retrieve the Famous DOA Shrimp

Rate this topic

coastalfreak

Everywhere I read about these lures, I get confused. 

Some people hop them off the bottom. Some retrieve them slowly so they drag off the bottom. Some swim them in the water column. I'm confused!!!! 

What ways have you found the most successful?

"It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most
Not where you live, what you drive or the price tag on your clothes" -Zac Brown Band

"A leader is someone who keeps their head when everyone else is losing theirs." -Bryant Wright

If you think you're working it slow enough, go slower.

Think about a shrimp. They either arent moving hardly at all, or are full sprint from a predator. I like to use doa shrimp a lot and my favorite is when the current is so strong that it wont hold bottom and drifts right into the strike zone.

Doa shrimp is my go to lure for spring and winter trout

(*member formerly known as 'Badtothebugs')

I'm a Mirrolure & Yo Zuri guy but like the DOA product line , if NO Snook are around then its #15 fluoro leader dbl uni to # 20 Ohero braid 1/8 ,1/16 oz weedless weighted hook   Badtothebugs tells you to slow it down as much as possible and then some YES , at times fast , it's the best advise , mix it up until they tell you what they want . A popping cork is not a bad way to start using DOA shrimp because it suspends the shrimp for the take . If Snook are around ( since you did not mention what your targeting ) use # 30  floro leader . I have taken many inshore species w/ DOA products including Redfish 

If it has fins i want to catch it 

On 8/6/2019 at 4:20 PM, coastalfreak said:

Everywhere I read about these lures, I get confused. 

Some people hop them off the bottom. Some retrieve them slowly so they drag off the bottom. Some swim them in the water column. I'm confused!!!! 

What ways have you found the most successful?

I use all the retrieves you have listed above and let the fish decide what they want. The environment your fishing does eliminate some of these techniques.

Toss it out where the fish are, let it drop (watch the line,) twitch it, let it drop, twitch it... slow retrieve.

sometimes a moderate retrieve with jerks will excite your target. I use procure scent more often than not. Under a popping cork these are killer some days. On my kayak I can often catch by trolling along the mangroves, slow with twitches.

if you can cast way under the mangroves if you’re not hit immediately let it drop, pause, the either very slow retrieve or twitch it. If there’s current you can toss the shrimp upstream an let it float with the current and twitch it periodically. 

I watched a short demo on how to fish the DOA shrimp that was put on by Mark Nichols(sp?) who invented it. He said to fish as slow as possible, but I have not used them enough to say that it works. But a lot of folks use them down here and do well with them. I use the Yo Zuri 3DS suspending minnow and like it better.

Any thoughts on the Live Target Fleeing Shrimp? It seems like that would be really easy to fish. Just slow retrieve with a few hops, maybe. 

"It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most
Not where you live, what you drive or the price tag on your clothes" -Zac Brown Band

"A leader is someone who keeps their head when everyone else is losing theirs." -Bryant Wright

On 8/9/2019 at 7:43 AM, acesover said:

I watched a short demo on how to fish the DOA shrimp that was put on by Mark Nichols(sp?) who invented it. He said to fish as slow as possible, but I have not used them enough to say that it works. But a lot of folks use them down here and do well with them. I use the Yo Zuri 3DS suspending minnow and like it better.

How do you like to work them. any different from the DOA 

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 10:00 AM, coastalfreak said:

Any thoughts on the Live Target Fleeing Shrimp? It seems like that would be really easy to fish. Just slow retrieve with a few hops, maybe. 

Just picked up one of these, as well as the savage gear equivalent. Interested to hear if anyones been using them.