Twisted

How's about limiting the size of fish you can keep?

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

Mortality rates are not an exact science.  I have yet to see a floating bass that had a tag on that said "released by rec angler ".  Anyone that passionately supports these "numbers" has an agenda. 

Fish that are kept have a 100% mortality rate.  NJ used a slot limit after the moratorium with what appeared to be great success.  DE bay was loaded with bass.  Now not so much at all

14 hours ago, Malsow said:

I wonder how those numbers come about. It seems there would be some guess work required for recs. No one has ever asked me how many fish I've caught. Or how many were released.  Or followed up on how many died following the release. 

Anyone???

Do a google search on "MRIP" or go to countmyfish.com

14 hours ago, GuiltyAsCharged said:

Exactly. And mortality rates are typically estimated by testing in controlled environments. Release mortality rates of 50% and higher. Really. You have to wonder what methods were used.

Release mortality was based on a MA study and was estimated at 9%

48 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Do a google search on "MRIP" or go to countmyfish.com

Release mortality was based on a MA study and was estimated at 9%

I went to MRIP and wasn't able to find the study. The other site was no help either. But suppose you're right about released fish having a mortality rate of 9% by recs. That is still a survival rate of 91%. What is the survival rate with Comm's?????

What needs to be done is to remove the hysteria around striped bass in general.    
Don't call it catch & release, call it "illegal to possess"

Tell people they can't keep any and I tell you that 75% of the people fishing for them will stop.

Those 75% are most likely also the folks who are the worst offenders.

They are the great unwashed dragging fish up rocks, gaffing every fish, holding them out of the water for 20 minutes while everyone takes a picture.

Leave it that way until the stocks have recovered.

This would also give NMF to come up with a better management plan.

By then you could set a limit of 1 fish @ 45" and everyone would be happy.

The study was performed by Paul Diodati, former Ma fisheries director. I believe the release mortality averaged 8 percent with a large increase in mortality with increased water temperature. Google it. It is a very interesting read. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

22 mins ago, GuiltyAsCharged said:

That chart shows a rec release mortality rate of 48% for 2017.

I saw that too. 48% on that chart cannot be right. I did some digging and found the study done by a professor at U-MASS Amherst. I took a minute to glance through it and it looks pretty interesting. His estimate was around 8%. He also cited practices like using live bait and cut bait with j-hooks as increasing the likelihood of a dead fish. Also, stressed fish in 70 degree or warmer water. The research was not exclusive to MA. When I have time I'd like to read it completely. 

My concern with eliminating the chance to catch and keep and that I think it will also decrease the numbers of fishermen. As that number decreases so does the number of potential advocates. I would expect not all guys here started with a C/R mentality. That generally evolves over time. I will say, I have noticed a lot of younger guys along the canal seem to be starting with that mentality. A good thing. 

Edited by Malsow
added potential

2 mins ago, Malsow said:

His estimate was around 8%. He also cited practices like using live bait and cut bait with j-hooks as increasing the likelihood of a dead fish. Also, stressed fish in 70 degree or warmer water. The research was not exclusive to MA. When I have time I'd like to read it completely.

I may have seen the article and 8% sounds about right. The charts are way out of whack with that. The yellow rec mortality rate part of the bar is 6 times what it should be.

2 hours ago, Malsow said:

I went to MRIP and wasn't able to find the study. The other site was no help either. But suppose you're right about released fish having a mortality rate of 9% by recs. That is still a survival rate of 91%. What is the survival rate with Comm's?????

The MRIP site shows the details of how the recreational catch for all species is estimated, that includes striped bass. The survival rate for commercially released striped bass is right on the chart I posted earlier, its 2%.

1 min ago, MakoMike said:

The MRIP site shows the details of how the recreational catch for all species is estimated, that includes striped bass. The survival rate for commercially released striped bass is right on the chart I posted earlier, its 2%.

The charts don't jive with the results. 

26 mins ago, GuiltyAsCharged said:

That chart shows a rec release mortality rate of 48% for 2017.

1 min ago, GuiltyAsCharged said:

I may have seen the article and 8% sounds about right. The charts are way out of whack with that. The yellow rec mortality rate part of the bar is 6 times what it should be.

You obviously have no idea how to read that chart, or you are being deliberately obtuse. Either way, that's your problem not mine.

Posted (edited) · Report post

31 mins ago, MakoMike said:

You obviously have no idea how to read that chart, or you are being deliberately obtuse. Either way, that's your problem not mine.

Thanks for the kind words Mike, but I can read quite well. Look at the text that says 'Rec dead rel' under the 2017 heading top left of the chart. Says 48%. Look at the yellow portion of the bar above the year 2016. What percent of the total length of that bar do you estimate to be yellow? Please help me with this.

2017 striper mortality.jpg

Edited by GuiltyAsCharged

The bars in the chart represent only fish killed in that year. The 48% is based on 9% rec release mortality in the overall number of fish caught in 2017. 

By that chart it states that recreational anglers are responsible for 9 times the amount of fish killed than commercial fishermen.

I believe that recreational anglers are responsible for many many dead bass but 9x......, not so much.