Twisted

How's about limiting the size of fish you can keep?

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

I am sure this has been brought up here before but what if the regulations were changed that it becomes illegal to keep a fish over a certain size (insert your suggestion on size here)?  You are allowed to keep one fish between 28" and say 36".  Would that help sustain the bass stock by allowing the bigger fish to spawn?  I know everyone wants that trophy fish but just tossing it out there...

IMHO wouldn't make a bit of difference, at least not until you could almost guarantee that people would successfully release the oversized ones. The way things are today the recs are killing more fish via catch and release than they are killing via catch and filet.

5 mins ago, MakoMike said:

IMHO wouldn't make a bit of difference, at least not until you could almost guarantee that people would successfully release the oversized ones. The way things are today the recs are killing more fish via catch and release than they are killing via catch and filet.

Totally agree with this, we are in the age of self promotion where everyone has to take trophy shots to post on Farcebook

Posted (edited) · Report post

IMO i think 28-36 slot wouldn't do much to help at all. It will protect the big girls in theory if people don't poach them or take them out of the water for a ton of photos after a tiring fight, but then you have a older breeding class, because that's basically 2-3 years of bass class that everyone will just hammer year in and year out, they will have to survive 3 years of being targeted by every angler on coast to coast. Commercial and recs a like so not many of those fish would make it to the safe line in my opinion. I personally prefer 1 @ 36 because that will allow those 28 inch fish an extra 2-3 seasons of breeding before they can get targeted. There has been tons and tons of small bass this year, i think if we can protect these fish and allow them all to breed until they hit 36 inches before they can get targeted i think that would work best.

Edited by canalsharpie

2 hours ago, MakoMike said:

How can you really say that?  Are there any facts/studies that show this?

4 mins ago, Malsow said:

No, there are not. It could be true if recs released 95% or more of their fish and mortality rates were greater than 5%.

Edited by GuiltyAsCharged

18 mins ago, Malsow said:

Yes, they are all on the ASMFC website. Recs kill more fish via C&R than they do with catch and keep.

18 mins ago, GuiltyAsCharged said:

No, there are not. It could be true if recs released 95% or more of their fish and mortality rates were greater than 5%.

Try this on for size, from the latest striped bass stock assessment: Release mortality rates are probably understated at 9%

2017 striper mortality.jpg

Edited by MakoMike

4 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Try this on for size, from the latest striped bass stock assessment:

2017 striper mortality.jpg

I hope that is not from ASMFC or any other NOAA body. If so, it is likely erroneous and useless.

Edited by GuiltyAsCharged

I wonder how those numbers come about. It seems there would be some guess work required for recs. No one has ever asked me how many fish I've caught. Or how many were released.  Or followed up on how many died following the release. 

Anyone???

5 mins ago, Malsow said:

I wonder how those numbers come about. It seems there would be some guess work required for recs. No one has ever asked me how many fish I've caught. Or how many were released.  Or followed up on how many died following the release. 

Anyone???

Exactly. And mortality rates are typically estimated by testing in controlled environments. Release mortality rates of 50% and higher. Really. You have to wonder what methods were used.