Minnowcatcher36

Haddock

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Secret #1 - Get some good numbers.  It will save you burning lots gas while exploring.  Haddock like gravel and shell strewn background, probably 30 fathoms and deeper.  There's lots of space on Platts, Jefferies, Fippennies, etc. that fish like the Sahara Desert...

Basic set up: large capacity reel, like a Penn 3/0 or 4/0 Special Senators on a good stiff rod.  You'll be using jigs/sinkers of 12 oz and greater.  Fill the reel with 65 lb braid.  Pick up some cod flies for use above the Norwegian jigs if you're using jigs.  Haddock like blue.

Edited by Roccus7

I second everything that you just said.  I went last year out to “the hill” on Jeffrey’s.  We all limited out.   I’d strongly recommend to place the teasers low from the jig, as haddock hug the bottom.  Also, they have soft lips, and you may pull the hook through their lip if you try to set hard (this is mostly a problem with bait).  I always recommend bringing bait with you as sometimes they just won’t hit the jig.

this was last August.

also, they lifted the October closure, not sure if you will have the boat out that late, but if you do, it’s a great opportunity.

I prefer hi-lo rigs for haddock, 16oz weight  bait on the bottom, teaser feather on top. Keep the lead tight to bottom and just a little snap for hook set when you feel the tap tap tap. They got soft mouths; you do your José Wejebe impression and you’ll just come back with a set of lips. 

30 fathom is a good start but try other depths if your not finding them. Make some drifts before committing to the anchor. If the lines scaling out you can stem the drift by backing into wind or currents, just bump into reverse for a few seconds every minute or so. The Fish finder on bottom/lock is your best friend; look for groups holding tight to the ground like 5’, stacked higher than that (15-20’) and your probably looking at pollock or doggies.

Clams is the go go to bait but most anything works: macks squid pogies; even used turd pollock strips the other week when mistakenly grabbed a quart chum out of the freezer.

Edited by CDUX

everything above plus I use 50-75 ft of 50 lb mono leader and a soft tipped rod to help give a little shock absorption. Definitely helps keep them on the hook better than a short leader.   

I love lighter weights like a 12 oz and suspect I’m not alone. However, I find that most times out I’m putting a 16 oz or better on before I know it. 20 oz is the most I fish and when the wind and/or drift is more, I go home. Friend was on tillies Sunday and said he had to use a 20 and 16 just to keep on the bottom in 225 fow.

There are so many short haddock and cod out there right now though you are reeling up fish all day with a keeper rate of like 1 out of 12+ fish. 

One tip tip though that should help a l lot to reduce the cod catch is if using clams, use smaller fresh chunks on your hooks. The thin strips from a clam should be threaded on to the hook just barely enough to cover it. Large pieces of bait will not mean bigger haddock, rather you will find cod or dogs. Keep your bait on the bottom and try not to promote too much action. I use Berkley Gulp Alice and do better with it  for haddock than clams and can catch a lot of fish on one bait.

Edited by NHAngler

As far as gear if you don’t already have it, look at some of the newer jigging rods designed for butterfly type jigs, they’re a lot more fun and easier to use than the old pool cue rods.  Shimano trevalas are the standard for this type of gear, but there are tons of others that are similar offered by most manufacturers now. 

We get a very short 2 week one cod season in late September this year, so try to get out during that window of you can.  Fall is also a great time to load up on big pollock, look for them on high spots or around edges.   They will usually be anywhere from 5 to 50 feet off bottom.  Almost as good eating as cod and haddock as long as they are bled, gutted or filleted, and iced immediately.  Pollock usually like traditional jigs and teaser flies, but will hit haddock bait rigs too like mentioned above. 

5 hours ago, TwoLightsKid said:

Fall is also a great time to load up on big pollock, look for them on high spots or around edges.   They will usually be anywhere from 5 to 50 feet off bottom.  Almost as good eating as cod and haddock as long as they are bled, gutted or filleted, and iced immediately.  Pollock usually like traditional jigs and teaser flies, but will hit haddock bait rigs too like mentioned above. 

Are you talking about larger pollock or is harbor pollock good to eat and worth the effort as well? I caught a decent one last night on a sabiki and thought I had either doubled up on large macks or had a small striper. It was maybe 16" or so? If they're good eating I might keep a few. 

I’m talking the larger 5-20+ pound offshore pollock, but harbor pollock are good too. Gut, scale and fry the small ones whole like you would with a small brook trout.  Bigger harbor pollock, say 12” or bigger yield a nice little filet, great for fish tacos or anything else you might do with a freshwater panfish filet like perch or crappie.  

Caught several pollock over 10bs on 8-17. Felt like Nov. Not sure of the weigh on the biggest as I was sleeping in my bean bag on the ride in but it won the pool. Had what I am guessing was a small poorbeagle or perhaps wolfish grab on at one point. 

Ran to Jeffs Monday late morning with my friend Jim and found the better ratio of keeper haddock at the edges with the doggies. Drop and reel all day with many fish right at 17" that we let go. Came home with 22 haddock 18-22 inch "  haddock, 7 or 8 pollock, some cusk, a whiting and a bergal. 

Wednesday fished on F/V Yellowbird as the conditions were no good for my CC. We both got our limit of haddock, our one cod a piece, and some really nice pollock. Bigger haddock were in with the doggies again at the edges in 200. 

2 hours ago, Minnowcatcher36 said:

What's everyone's opinion on the conditions for tomorrow?

Sunday looks much better. Tomorrow looks good for a party boat or albie fishing in buzzards bay.