ASrod

August 2019

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Today was the first decent day since about 10 days ago. Lately it’s been 20 to 30 tiny stripers (14” or less) and a ton of spot/croaker.

Got a pretty fat 23” and a few smaller ones before I had to leave.

Let’s here some early August reports from the Chesapeake!

9AC5190C-9992-4D49-B6DB-4C828E831A30.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Update:

I thought that the only shot at getting a fish above keeper size was to use a lure at sunset while they were breaking on bait. Turns out that they wanted some cut spot on the bottom after the bite seemingly died. I had several above keeper size and plenty of shorts last night.

Long story short, new tactic is to use plugs and bucktails until about an hour after dark and then change to some freshly cut spot.

Edited by ASrod

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, rdiezel said:

Thinking of heading out and chunk today, hopefully won’t catch any cats

Towards which direction will you be fishing? I haven’t seen a cat being caught in about 3 weeks so the only worries are skates and crabs.

Edited by ASrod

43 mins ago, ASrod said:

Towards which direction will you be fishing? I haven’t seen a cat being caught in about 3 weeks so the only worries are skates and crabs.

Kent island west side 

This little guy saved me from a skunk, only fish for me, my buddy was catching some bait sized spot on bloodworms. I was using peelers and kept getting nibbles and a couple of runs (free spool on a conventional w/ clicker). Other ppl caught about a 10lb channel cat. Overall slow night, water was very calm.

D2BDC66F-636C-4041-AB80-F1647D9A5821.jpeg

I fished down in Calvert County and I had several stripers up to 21 inches. The biggest one taking a 4” Storm Shad and the rest on cut spot. Didn’t get a picture of the biggest one but this little guy swallowed the shad....

59DDCF60-5E51-48CB-9F2C-F1B47FDB434D.jpeg

Tried out a new spot today and caught a fish after a couple casts. Came unprepared so had to cut it short. Still a nice little bass to get on the way home.

Catching it on a homemade jig was an added bonus and this spot has some big fish potential later this year.

B61D537A-239D-46F7-937C-06370BC508E4.jpeg

Well it was shaping up to be a great night... Bait everywhere and stripers chasing them around. First striper on was 21” on a live spot. Then another smaller one on a lure. As soon as it seemed to be getting even better, boom. Tornado touched down and it all went to hell. At least tonight was an improvement to the last 4 or 5 nights....

7C026445-01B2-4B52-835F-C29E3E0B6201.jpeg