Ccc fish seized

Rate this topic

Simply Addicted

The canal sounds like such a humbling body of water to fish. It’s a privilege to fish there, yet so many people don’t treat it as such. 

"It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most
Not where you live, what you drive or the price tag on your clothes" -Zac Brown Band

"A leader is someone who keeps their head when everyone else is losing theirs." -Bryant Wright

1 hour ago, JoeyZac said:

The fine for short fish should be step 1.

Step 2 should be a check for warrants, with an arrest if appropriate.

Step 3 should be a check for owed child support, with an arrest if appropriate.

Step 4 should be a check of your legal status in the country, with a deportation if appropriate.

1 hour ago, VanStaalSteve said:

How about this too:  if short or illegal fish are found in vehicle of suspect than said vehicle should be seized immediately and sold if suspect pleads or is found guilty. ... make it hurt! 

Plus

Make it Federal offense.

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

3 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

How about this too:  if short or illegal fish are found in vehicle of suspect than said vehicle should be seized immediately and sold if suspect pleads or is found guilty. ... make it hurt! 

they do tht here in Ct,saw it for myself along with 6 other friends.

HH

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

8 hours ago, Badtothebugs said:

One person/group had 50 short fish? Or were there multiple separate parties caught with shorts?

A few weeks ago the fwc got tipped off that many short Spanish mackerel were being kept on the pier. Many fines were given out that day. 

You can go to cape cod today and read the article, not sure if I can link it here.... But I believe it was a total of 50+ fish. They had plain clothes officers walking the canal nabbing people up and down it seems.

I have little experience at the canal .... Only one two week stretch this summer and it was the best fishing of my life. People don't know how hard it can be to catch keepers on piers and jettys and they're spoiling it for everyone else. This 7 mile stretch is magical, really is.

Place needs way more oversight especially at night.

1 hour ago, Simply Addicted said:

You can go to cape cod today and read the article, not sure if I can link it here.... But I believe it was a total of 50+ fish. They had plain clothes officers walking the canal nabbing people up and down it seems.

I have little experience at the canal .... Only one two week stretch this summer and it was the best fishing of my life. People don't know how hard it can be to catch keepers on piers and jettys and they're spoiling it for everyone else. This 7 mile stretch is magical, really is.

Place needs way more oversight especially at night.

It’s not hard if you study your area. Canal seems to be somewhat dummy proof so it attracts a lot of dummy’s.  

13 hours ago, Simply Addicted said:

Cape cod today just posted an article of a sizable sting on the canal this weekend.

Over 50 shorts seized...8k in fines.

Scumbags

Do they seize the fishing gear when caught?  That plus stiffer fines would go a long way. 

(*member formerly known as 'SWPaulie')

7 mins ago, Pauleye said:

Do they seize the fishing gear when caught?  That plus stiffer fines would go a long way. 

They did not, it's up to the officer if they want to seize the gear also which i think is dumb. They should just take gear on 1st offense because you know for damn sure they will do it again.

13 hours ago, JoeyZac said:

The fine for short fish should be step 1.

Step 2 should be a check for warrants, with an arrest if appropriate.

Step 3 should be a check for owed child support, with an arrest if appropriate.

Step 4 should be a check of your legal status in the country, with a deportation if appropriate.

A remarkably sensible trio of suggestions.  ;)

They'll check for warrants, I believe, if they're making an arrest or if the person is known to them as a problem. They may or may not bother to do so if they're just writing citations.

Instant readouts for child support arrears aren't available on the radio, but instant readouts for arrears reduced to judgments might be.  I doubt that's current practice, and I don't think an arrest for debt per se would be lawful.  If a court has made a finding of contempt, a warrant may be outstanding.

Step 4 suits me - but I'll tellya what. Most, the vast majority, of the people arrested are going to be citizens. 

44 mins ago, VitaminDee said:

They did not, it's up to the officer if they want to seize the gear also which i think is dumb. They should just take gear on 1st offense because you know for damn sure they will do it again.

And the odds of getting caught on the first and only time you broke the law are nil.  So a reasonable person would expect that its neither the first nor the last.

Take the gear.